Video game addiction; how do I solve it?

Wes

Rookie
I'm seriously hooked on my Wii. I don't study at all anymore and it's starting to show!

I...I just can't put the controller down! Anyone here suffer from addiction to games? What are some good ways to break it and get my head back in the books?

I used to be addicted to WoW but now I find I can very easily get off video games to go and study. Why? Because I'll fail out if I don't. It's pretty good motivation to study instead of game for me.

best way to beat any addiction is to quit cold turkey... give your wii to a friend, I'm sure they will accept it. expect withdrawal symptoms.

remember admitting it is the first step!

Reid said:
best way to beat any addiction is to quit cold turkey... give your wii to a friend, I'm sure they will accept it. expect withdrawal symptoms.

Whoa whoa whoa are you fucking crazy? Giving the wii away? Those measures are far too drastic!

I don't really play that many video games anymore, but I don't really study either. So what am I doing? Failing at video games and school!

yup i play a lot which gets in the way of my studying. What helps for me is, study 30 mins...then play games for 10 as a break. keep doing that then you dont feel bad about not studying.

You could resort to drastic measures like packing up the Wii and putting it away somewhere until school is done.

There also is the other extreme; play like you've NEVER played before! Play until you're eyes can't stay open without crusting over!

DocMoc said:
There also is the other extreme; play like you've NEVER played before! Play until you're eyes can't stay open without crusting over!

I don't know, I've gone pretty crazy with Final Fantasy games back in the day. My record was when I played 25 hours of FFX straight, only stopping to eat and piss. This was during the summer though.

Wes said:
DocMoc said:

I don't know, I've gone pretty crazy with Final Fantasy games back in the day. My record was when I played 25 hours of FFX straight, only stopping to eat and piss. This was during the summer though.
I've done that exact same thing. When I went to sleep, I must have gotten up and started playing again because I woke up in my chair with the system on and I was two screens away from the savepoint.

look, we all know how you feel, just unplug it from the wall and lock it in a box and hide it, get drunk and you forget where the box is than recover from your hangover and study, and dont look for the box, and get rid of the key, and when you get ur degree youll be smart enough to open the box without a key

trust_no_one said:
Cut your thumbs off. If you can't hold the controller, it's kinda hard to play.

Yeah but then you can't hold a pen either.

Reid said:

Bull. I've gone cold turkey from my 360 because of a technical failure and figured I'd do more work but I didn't, I just fucked around on the internet and with friends for the period of time I would have spent on my 360 and ended up doing pretty much the same amount of work as I would have done. It just takes self control, for instance today I woke up at 11, got showered and dressed and done some work, had a nap, did a bit more work and then went to the pub for an impromptu gathering, now I'm back and not too drunk so I'm posting at GR until I sober up enough to carry on with work.

Sam

You could always do what I did.

Get as much work done at school as you possibly can. Then, do some more work at school. You'll find studying a lot easier when the option to play games is removed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod