UFC is coming to FOX

GRColin

Rookie
[cumming soon]

Just kidding. I'm not JX4.

The UFC is saying farewell to it's home on Spike and has signed a 7 year deal with Fox with the first event taking place November 12 of this year with a fight card yet to be determined, on FOX. TUF (The Ultimate Fighter) will be aired from now on on FX Going towards a more gimmicky reality tv format,TUF will be live and viewers will also be able to text in and vote for the next fight matchup they want to see. Season 14 will follow the old, pre-taped format and be the last season on Spike.

The landmark agreement, which puts UFC on par with many of the country's professional sports organizations, delivers four live events in prime time or late night each year to the FOX broadcast network, home to the country's biggest sports events, including the Super Bowl, World Series and Daytona 500. The first live event airs Saturday, Nov. 12 at 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PM PT. Additional programming on multiple FOX networks launches January 2012 and includes live fights, pre and post shows, countdown shows, UFC Unleashed, UFC Primetime, the UFC Knockout series, Best of Pride, weigh-in specials, and much more original content from extensive Zuffa archives. The agreement also provides for developing robust mobile and authenticated online offerings to exploit a vast array of digital platform rights.

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish ... 0185.shtml

FX will have UFC Fight NIght (6 a year), TUF and 4 "big fights" (as Dana White puts it) a year on the FOX channel. What's interesting is he calls this starting over with a clean slate, saying that even the PPV will change - The intro, the graphics. So I'll be watching with a close eye the changes coming to the UFC.

I'm trying to remember if I now have FX permanently on Dish Network. I could really care less though. How many different places were they airing on Spike, one of the newer sports channels. It's the same way I don't notice when football and basketball games change broadcasters. But hopefully they make better cards than the StrikeForce CBS cards usually were.

As far as the TUF goes, that show has kind of plateaued for me. I watch it, but I'm not excited about it like I used to be.

Gonna be weird to watch TUF on FOX. Been on Spike since what 05? Crazy.

Didn't know we had many MMA fans here. What do y'all think of Emelianenko?

Lethean said:
TheDiesel said:
I wonder how quick it'll be cancelled.

Given the fanbase and amount of viewers, not very quickly.

Given the fact it's going to FOX, where it will inevitably become a soap opera reality show much like Wrestling (sorry Chris), the amount of viewers may decrease.

CloacalKiss said:
Gonna be weird to watch TUF on FOX. Been on Spike since what 05? Crazy.

Didn't know we had many MMA fans here. What do y'all think of Emelianenko?

I think he's overrated and has been fighting cans for the past few years and when he got a taste of the more elite fighters he couldn't do much in the way of not getting his face smashed in (a la Antonio Silva), submitted (via Werdum) or ktfo (compliments of Hendo and his H-Bomb).

And roger that about FOX. Didn't realize they had a track record of canceling stuff arbitrarily.

And TUF will be on F/X which while a FOX channel, isn't managed the same thankfully. Plus, no way in hell would Dana White or the Fertita brothers let the UFC fights become scripted, unrealistic events. Just two guys beating the shit out of each other is what it will continue to be. Nice, high brow entertaininment as always.

I think this is a great move for UFC but I'm pretty bummed that TUF will be changing its format to become more reality-tv-like. They've been doing a good job of distancing themselves from the in-house drama and focusing more on the sport. Huge step backward.

I like UFC, I mean it's ok. I don't really watch it but my friends do so I end up watching it regardless. Then they get upset when I ask dumb questions.

Me: Hey whatever happened to that guy Kimbo? He was pretty cool.

Them: OMG, Kimbo was the worst, he didn't do anything. He's not even in the UFC anymore. Come on man!

Me: Ugh, it's going to be a long night. Guess I'll get drunk and hit on the bartender.

CloacalKiss said:
What do y'all think of Emelianenko?

i'm guessing youre not much of an MMA fan if the only person you can mention is an exposed can, once internet legend, in Emelianenko xD

as WR said, i NEVER was a big fan of him because he never ever fought talent. he was like a Mike Tyson.

the only difference with Tyson is, he was actually very talented. it was just impossible to compete with people at twice his reach and height. it simply wasn't fair.

lennox lewis was the beginning of boxings decline. i like the guy but he sucked. and was incredibly boring to watch.

strong unintentional topic change.

back on track!

Tito is terrible.

I'll catch a fight here or there, but overall I don't really care for much of "Professional" fighting. Two guys beating on eachother is alright, I don't really care to watch two grown men groping eachother on the floor though.

I do question the intelligence of the powers at be though. Saturday is not exactly prime tv viewing time. Not to mention November is crunch time for college football, generally with top billed games getting primetime spots. They are biting off quite a bit.

Plus, Fox sports anchors suck ass. And if Joe Buck is anywhere in the vicinity of this, I'll be miles away.

StickyGreenGamer said:
I'll catch a fight here or there, but overall I don't really care for much of "Professional" fighting. Two guys beating on eachother is alright, I don't really care to watch two grown men groping eachother on the floor though.

I do question the intelligence of the powers at be though. Saturday is not exactly prime tv viewing time. Not to mention November is crunch time for college football, generally with top billed games getting primetime spots. They are biting off quite a bit.

Plus, Fox sports anchors suck ass. And if Joe Buck is anywhere in the vicinity of this, I'll be miles away.

If I had a dollar for every time someone made a comment about men groping each other...

And Saturday night on FOX, not FOX Sports is a great time. FOX is the number 1 cable channel in homes. If you think about it, a UFC PPY event on Saturday nights reaches 1.5 million people. Imagine, if a 50 dollar PPV on a night that isn't supposedly "prime tv", what the most watched channel can do for the UFC. If it were FOX Sports Network, I'd totally agree with you about Saturday night.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod