Top ten scariest games.

Switch The Suffering, out with Alone in the Dark and change AVP to AVP 2 and you have a similar list as I do.

Silent Hill is the scariest game ever to be made. That is hands down. Not even RE can touch that, and RE is pretty close to....

Silent Hill *quivers* :(

I use to be scared of the House of the Dead game in the arcade - scared but drawn to it.

I once had really bad nightmares about the Jurrassic Park game on sega or snes (I cant rmemeber)

Silent Hill was #1. Sweet!

Nice list with Fatal Frame at #2 but wtf was with Alien vs. Predator at #4? Alone in the Dark should've taken its place. I don't think Alone in the Dark was anything special but many consider it the scariest game prior to Resident Evil. And from what I remember about AVP, it sucked. The arcade shooter for aliens was a lot better.

I can remember being four years old and playing Doom. I had nightmares about those bastard pinkies for weeks. While it's not that scary anymore, just those memories of the dark rooms....

JCD said:
I can remember being four years old and playing Doom. I had nightmares about those ******* pinkies for weeks. While it's not that scary anymore, just those memories of the dark rooms....

You played Doom when you were 4? Whoa, that's just wrong.

Haha, I had been watching Doom since I was 3, when It first came out! Anyway, I think that the scariest ever game must be (drumroll) Clocktower. I must admit though, all Barbie games can have a certain scareiness to them....

Damn. By today's standards Doom would be as scary as...well, Doom 3. How did you even play a game at 4? When I was 4, I had trouble stretching my hands across the keyboard to type in a key.

GhostTrip said:
Damn. By today's standards Doom would be as scary as...well, Doom 3. How did you even play a game at 4? When I was 4, I had trouble stretching my hands across the keyboard to type in a key.

Honestly, the first game I ever played was when I was two.(I wasn't too good though) When I first played Doom it scared the hell outta me. I think that at that time, it likely had a larger fear factor than Doom 3 has nowadays. Back then, no-one was used to seeing stuff like what Doom had to offer. By Doom 3, gore seemed to have become mandatory in almost all games. Both games are great, and will be played by gamers for years to come. Another thing people reading this topic should consider, is the future of scary games. Developers are going to have to use more than just fancy graphics to scare people. Personally I think that letting the AI have freedom to analyze situations and determine what would best scare someone is what developers should be trying to achieve in their games. (Kinda like Condemned, but more advanced)

That's what makes the Silent Hill series so scary and why it ranked #1 on this list. The scare tactics don't come from what you see, but what you don't see, leaving the creepy nature up to your imagination.

Fatal Frame was #2 and there is little to no blood in that game. It relies on it's paranoa gameplay then it's ultra violence action.

It's the same logic in films, if you want to truly get scared then it's creepy>shocking. Psychological terror will always be more frightening then any slasher.

I recently beat Condemned: Criminal Origins which was pretty scary. Probably the most depressing game I have played, but I don't play many horror/survival type games except Doom.

An honorable mention should be given to Thief 3 too. While not a scary game, the Shalebridge Cradle level was really scary. It constantly builds up a feeling of dread in the players mind throughout the entire level. While it only has a few scary moments. The game is definitely worth buying for that level alone.

It's a movie? What the fuck?

Can someone post the top 10 list here for me please? I'm on dialup and dont' want to wait for an 80+ MB movie to download.

But, from what I've gathered, Silent Hill is #1 and Fatal Frame is #2 --- agreed 100%.

My personal top 10 list starts out as follows: Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 2, Silent Hill 3.. and from there it gets harder to rank..

masterchris said:
It's a movie? What the ****?

Can someone post the top 10 list here for me please? I'm on dialup and dont' want to wait for an 80+ MB movie to download.

But, from what I've gathered, Silent Hill is #1 and Fatal Frame is #2

#1 Silent Hill -PS1, 1999
#2 Fatal Frame 2 -PS2/Xbox, 2003
#3 Resident Evil Remake -GC, 2002
#4 Alien vs. Predator -Jaguar, 1994
#5 The Suffering -PS2/Xbox, 2004
#6 Doom 3 -PC/Xbox, 2004
#7 Darkseed -PC, 1992
#8 Eternal Darkness -GC, 2002
#9 System Shock 2 -PC, 1999
#10 Clock Tower -PC, 1997

masterchris said:
Thanks.

I guess the only entries on that list I agree with are 1 and 2....
I think it's a pretty decent list. They only wanted to pick one game from each series so they chose the game they thought was the scariest in the series to put on the list.

REmake was a really good game, so was The Suffering, Eternal Darkness and Doom 3. I had never even heard of System Shock 2 and Darkseed. And I always wanted to play Clock Tower, I played part 3 and it was pretty cool. Although it loses it's fear level and turns into a Metal Gear Solid game by the time you get to the fourth boss.

GhostTrip said:
I think it's a pretty decent list. They only wanted to pick one game from each series so they chose the game they thought was the scariest in the series to put on the list.

Ooh.. that makes sense then!

I remember when RE fanboys refused to acknowledge Silent Hill as an original surivior horror game. It was pretty tiring hearing peolpe call it another RE clone.

But now, even though RE4 was the best game of it's year, the fanboyism has died down and people can fall in love with the derserted foggy town of Silent Hill.

Nice to see Gametrailers rank it at #1, it deserves it.

Yes, I remember those days... all the constant SH vs. RE2 topics flooding GameFAQs boards.. RE fanboys saying SH sucks, SH fanboys calmly stating the facts why SH > RE2. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod