This comic makes me swell with pride...

Yeah, when I saw that I kinda agree with it. I agree with the first half of it at least. Gaming has gotten too much about releasing casual games to a group of people who view it in the same light as movies and bowling, easy, fun entertainment. People who play easy games, like Guitar Hero and Wii, aren't gamers. They've played a video game. Big difference.

On the other hand, I don't have much of a problem with games that are being made "accessible" to a wider range. Games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, and to an extent Bioshock, that have taken complex games and simplified them to allow a greater range of players are fine by me. They're still difficult/intense enough to keep away nongamers, while allowing starting and gamers who didn't play the earlier gamer, like myself, to enjoy them.

And then there are the easy accessible game, like Halo and, well most FPS games, that allow almost anyone to play and do ok, but are still not too easy. For me, these are the worst.

Okay...while I can get behind the sentiment of this comic there's alot of problems I have with it. I agree casual games are annoying but blaming all of the woes of the video game industry on them is just stupid. When was the last time I played a great game? Well I just beat Persona 4 which came out end of last year despite it not being casual at all. Before that I was (and to a degree still am playing Street Fighter IV) which came out despite it being pretty hardcore despite what capcom's press said. We have always only had a handful of great games released every year and we still get a handful of great games released every year. Most of what comes out on the PS3 and 360 is still pretty good for the Hardcore. They still get casual titles but they are REALLY easy to ignore. The Wii has a casual gaming problem but there are two other main consoles to go to. I can see being annoyed that your once little club is now been pushed to the mainstream and cheapened but if you're not enjoying games these days that's your problem, not casual gamers.
Also why did he attribute quicktime events to casual games? They mostly show up in hardcore stuff. I mean quicktime events started in a hardcore game (Dragon's Lair), were brought back in their modern form by a hardcore game (Shenmue) and popularized by two hardcore games (Resident Evil 4 and God of War). Just because you don't like quicktime events don't go blaming that on casual gamers. It's something that has pretty much nothing to do with them.

axleblaze said:
Also why did he attribute quicktime events to casual games? They mostly show up in hardcore stuff. I mean quicktime events started in a hardcore game (Dragon's Lair), were brought back in their modern form by a hardcore game (Shenmue) and popularized by two hardcore games (Resident Evil 4 and God of War). Just because you don't like quicktime events don't go blaming that on casual gamers. It's something that has pretty much nothing to do with them.
He's not really attributing QTEs to casual games. He's pointing out that games that once required precision control and fast thinking are being replaced with QTEs as a move to make games accessible to all gamers. The problem is games are becoming over-reliant on them as a result (Ninja Blade, for example. How dare they grind Ninja Gaiden into pulp for the masses). Thank God we have games like RE4 to remind us what QTEs SHOULD be used for. Ultimately, you are right, but I just felt you might have missed the point.

I'm just happy he finally posted a new comic. And a good one at that.

I miss passwords. I miss normal being challenging. I miss having to look for walk throughs and strategy guides. Years ago I'd beat a game and I'd feel a sense of accomplishment and now it's more like a quick romp through single player land with poor storylines before I move onto multiplayer with ass hat 14 yr old boys calling me a faggot and tea bagging me... :\

I don't think games were really that better back then... People just tend to remember, or just played the best ones of the time. Maybe it's because games were more expensive and harder to market that people only played the "hits"?

VGCats usually does pretty decent comics (and takes about a month to make one...), but this one was just... smug?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod