The People Speak Week 13: Handheld Nostalgia

Welcome to the (North American) world Nintendo 3DS! It stand to reason that most gamers start off with a handheld. I'm sure plenty of picked up control pads with equal passion and fervor, but what was your first handheld platform? Was it a Game Boy or were you that one kid with a Game Gear that you had to have plugged into the wall to play? Let us consider the pathetic existence that was the child with an N-Gage. Tell us your handheld story.

I believe my first was the Game Boy (Which I still have at my parents house)...BUT I did have a Game Gear also.

Mine was a Gameboy pocket. I remember having to make sure I was in a lighted area just so I can see the gameplay. I'm now thankful for LCD screens.

I'm not sure I agree with you that most gamers started out with a hand held, but since that's not what the question was...

My first handheld was a Game Gear. I got it for my 5th BIrthday, and the entire time I owned it, I only had one game for it: Sonic 2 (Not the same Sonic 2 that was on the Genesis). The fact that it was in colour was neat. The fact that it drained 6 Double A batteries in just a few short hours was not.

I never really got into the handheld craze. I always owned at least 1 per generation, but I wasn't the guy who brought it to school or on camping trips with him. To me it was just another system I owned that I could play at home.

I actually didn't own a gameboy since my friend gave me his super gameboy. People lend me their DS/DS Lite systems for a lengthy amount of time but I decided to get a DSi.

I also don't think that I agree about starting with handhelds.

Growing up with two brothers, the original GameBoy was what kept us occupied most of the time -- especially since we spent so much time on the road. Precious moments connected with the link cable, playing Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, and Tetris... Ah. I think we ended up with two gray ones and one clear one, and we kept having to glue the screen back onto one of the gray ones.

It's kind of funny that it really was such a big deal: even if we were just heading over to grandma's house, we always made sure that the travel bag was packed up neatly with all the games, and that we had all the link cables.

We also shared a Game Gear. I can't for the life of me remember the games we had for that one, but for sure we had one of the Sonics, which was what we mainly played. It didn't really get the same attention as the GameBoys, but how can you deny Sonic? You just had to deal with the awful feeling once that power light started to go...

My first handheld system was the gameboy they released before gameboy color was release (speaking of which the gameboy color I got was the special yellow one with the pokemon and it came with pokemon yellow, one of the best presents I've ever gotten). But I remember my first games were a donkey kong game and and pokemon red/blue it was one of those. Some many hours into those pokemon games, talk about re-playability, played it at home and on trips. Worst nightmare was when you just left on a long car ride with the gameboy ready with pokemon and as you turn it on the low battery light popped up. As a kid seeing that light as my proof that there was a hell. Anyone remember getting the gameboy color and putting your old gameboy games in to see if there'll be any color? I did... Later me and a friend got Zelda ocarina of time and I can describe my experience in two words: frustratingly fun

Sightless said:
It's kind of funny that it really was such a big deal: even if we were just heading over to grandma's house, we always made sure that the travel bag was packed up neatly with all the games, and that we had all the link cables.

Aw the link cables, a necessity when you have a older brother, two gameboys and pokemon games. Each match either ended with me filled with a depressing loss or a glorious victory that was short lived because my brother would harass in a way that hurt physically or emotionally (mainly emotionally). It's funny how most kids like me during then always had their bookbags with them on trips not because there was books or extra cargo but because we always needed to have our gameboy games, link cables, a case, that little attachable light thing and if you were lucky extra batteries.

We had an original Gameboy, but my first personal handheld was a purple Gameboy Color. I remember the day I got it, from a Target in San Diego, as a birthday present. What better to buy with it than Pokemon Gold version? Silver version, of course, but I got Gold. And golden it was.

I've played my Gameboy Color for so long, and memories of sitting under a lamp for light are still fresh in my mind. It was always with me. Every night, every road trip, every time someone else was occupying the PlayStation, and every single moment I had away from something directly more important to do, I was playing my GBC. I wouldn't have had it any other way. It kept me out of trouble, kept me in good spirits, and ultimately, kept me entertained.

It can definitely be said that I started out with handheld games. My first handheld game would probably be a cup and ball. I know I'm OG like that.
cup_and_ball.jpg

But as I grew older, such non-digital format games grew stale and repetitive, so I moved on to the glorious digital handhelds, which were also stale and repetitive.
Tiger-GIJoeStarBrigade.jpg

But then, later down the road my parents/Santa bought/gave me a GameBrick. It weighed ten pounds and consumed batteries faster than Ugh consumes negative attention. But upon this magical device I discovered one of the world's coolest characters, Kirby. So thank you, GameBoy.

Purple GameBoy Colour here too. Originally Gold, but then Crystal.
And that's how i was born into being a Pokemon player for life.

I gave it away late 2005, and yet it STILL worked perfectly and held charge for a few hours.

I vaguely remember having a Game Gear, and some random game called Chakan: The Forever Man. But that's all I remember, I must have blocked out any other information like a rape victim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod