The GR book advice thread

madster111

Rookie
Well, i know we had the book club and such but it kinda died and everything so..

I was wondering if we can start something where we post what books we like, and if someone else has similar tastes they can suggest a book and vice versa.

I'll start, because i've read everything i like twice now..
Eragon series (Chris Paolini)
Mortal Instruments series (Cassandra Clare)
Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan)
Harry Potter (Not gonna insult your intelligence)
Most stuff by Anne Rice..

Basically, anything teenager-ish, usually fantasy/supernatural stuff with romance sub-plots and decent character development.
Darker = better.

So, yeah, anyone got some good book ideas similar to those i would like?
Big series are preferable.

The three musketeer books by Alexandre Dumas are one of my favorite book series so I suggest them.

Can anyone recommend some classic literature? With a status like Moby Dick has?

Edgar Allen Poe has some early sci-fi horror stuff. Look for the Dupin stories though, they are his best works besides the poems.

And for those lost, C. Augustine Dupin is Poe's detective. He is actually the first to use deductive reasoning as a detective in stories, before Sherlock Holmes and Sam Spade.

And if you don't believe me, read "Murders in the Rue Morgue."

Oh, and anything George R. R. Martin writes, if he can finish his damn works.

the dark tower books by stephen king

the rats by james herbert

some conan books

shane

lonsome dove

weaveworld by clive barker along with his books of blood

i could keep going, but i won't.

The Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass: Battleaxe, Enchanter, StarMan

Followed by The Wayfarer Redemption trilogy: Sinner, Pilgrim, Crusader (These follow on from Axis)

Threshold by Sara Douglass

Beyond The Hanging Wall, another of hers

Then her Darkglass Mountain Trilogy: The Serpent Bride, The Twisted Citadel, and Infinity Gate (if its out in your country, we dont get it till may in Australia, and she's australian) this series ties together the places, characters and stories from the above books.

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
19xter.jpg

look at the blue fish, man, he's so fucking cool. Dr. Seuss can help you become less virgin (over time). Just leave a book hanging out somewhere in your room, like on the carpet. eventually some chick will dig your devil may care 'tude. eventually.

Frankenstein. you've surely read it by now but its whole uncanny valley trip was spot on because every time the japanese make a new robot it comes complete with a set of supple nipples and a wiggly tongue.
Serious Question: where are the male robots, Japan? just kidding, keep on truckin' fellas. i like brunettes

edit: look at that fucking blue fish! He knows the score.
edit #2: Jesus! (i'm sorry, I can't get enough of the blue fish.)

http://www.truecompanion.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EiV2FpKoU
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/1 ... 17976.html
so no one caught on to my timely comment. .. you guys should read more (about sex robots like i do)

holy crap! what a horrible post. mine I mean, but yours too. mostly mine omg

Affen said:
The three musketeer books by Alexandre Dumas are one of my favorite book series so I suggest them.

Can anyone recommend some classic literature? With a status like Moby Dick has?

Anything by Dostoevsky. Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov (one of my faves).

Isaac Asimov is great and epic as well. His work is more science fiction.

Currently reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter and two books by Brandon Sanderson, The Wells of Ascension and Alcatraz vs. the Scrivener's Bones.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter: If you're a fan of the Dexter series on Showtime then definitely pick it up, but there are some differences between the events and characters on the show (duh). Which feels a little more annoying for me since I've now watched four seasons of the show. But it has the same macabre humor and does a little better at getting you inside Dex's headspace that he's sharing with the Dark Passenger.

Brandon Sanderson: When I heard that this is the guy who is taking over the Wheel of Time series for the late Robert Jordan, I felt a little gipped. I mean where's the cool Robert Jordan hat and beard combo?

Robert-Jordan-760836.jpg
<shudder>

But I looked into him and he has some decent fantasy. A little bit lighter and more fast-paced than WoT. His books include Warbreaker, The Mistborn Series and the Alcatraz Smedry Series. Plus, he graduated and teaches at my Alma Mater and he was roomates with Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings (yay?).

Alcatraz Versus the...: Alcatraz is a juvenile (~4th grade) series filled with sarcasm and some of the weirdest characters you'll meet (the main character has the "magic" ability to break things, his grandpa has the ability to arrive late to appointments), but he takes this quirky setting and makes it truly entertaining. There are four books in the series.

Mistborn: The Final Empire: Mistborn is a fantasy that has great insight into friendship, politics, bank hiests and magic systems (one of the coolest I've read about and certainly unique). It's slightly dark (~PG) with some characters having overcome traumatic events and full of twists and turns. There are three books in the series.

The only thing I hate more than buying books is waiting for my small town library to get it's single copy of a book back in.

The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte

9780812551389.jpg

Imagine that Clive Owen King Arthur movie, alright. Now imagine if it didn't suck. That's what you got here. A six part, historically accurate story (no magic) that builds toward the moment Arthur pulls the sword from the stone. It's fucking awesome!

If you want fantasy:

Joe Abercrombies trilogy, starting with The Blade Itself is fantastic. Very sarcastic humour and nice and edgy.

Sci-fi:

Ian M Banks is a God, anything by him.

If you want something on the top of the pile for literature, Im re reading David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest. It's a lot of work to read, but flip, the guy is the most amazing writer aye. And you feel pretty good when you finish it.

And I second Elia, anything by Dostoevsky is worth a go.

Someone read roadside picnic? Jack Whyte and Roger Zelazny? Wow!

Books or Authors I`d recommend:
- Interstellar Patrol I - II by Christopher Anvil
- Keith Laumer`s Bolo and Retief Series
- Dean Ing`s books
- David Morrell (he wrote Rambo!)
- Lee Child`s Jack Reacher`s Series
- L.E Modesitt, Jr
- The Getaway Special by Jerry Oltion
- Timothy Zahn, especially his older books, like the Cobra Series or the Conqueror`s Series.
- Alan Dean Foster
- Raymond E. Fiest, preferably his older books
- David Drake
- John Ringo
- Robert L. Forward
- The Unincorporated Man by Dani & Eytan Kollin
- David Gemmell
- David Eddings, preferably the series rather than his single books, with the exception of The Redemption of Althalus.

That`s all I can remember at the moment. I read WAAAY too much.

Well, I just finished the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson... I have to say, it was the most epic series I ever read. The books made me drop everything, including homework and sleep :( I'd call it a crime drama, but this is the kind of book where if you read books with violence, criminals, or mysteries, then you'll love it. Other than that, the WoT series I loved with a burning passion which has yet to fade. Oh, and Tom Clancy. :p God Bless Jack Ryan.

OH! I just finished the 5th book in the Camulod series, attempting to pick up the 6th somewhere... 'Tis just as ZoomZoom described it, historical-period-accurate King Arthur story, with heavy Roman-influences in the battles. Truly a great series.

TheZoomZoomKid said:
The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte

9780812551389.jpg

Imagine that Clive Owen King Arthur movie, alright. Now imagine if it didn't suck. That's what you got here. A six part, historically accurate story (no magic) that builds toward the moment Arthur pulls the sword from the stone. It's f****** awesome!

That book is so... Slow. It's not boring, but it's not what I expected either, I thought it would be more Arthurian and less Roman. But I guess he was setting it up; laying down the pieces before the grand show. It's still on my desk waiting to be finished, and will be eventually, and I did get through his Knights of the Black and White at least.

For my historical fiction, I prefer Conn Iggulden (Emperor and Conqueror series were amazing) and Bernard Cornwell (Only read Azincourt and up to The Burning Land in his The Saxon Stories series).

Also reading Battle Royale again, which is one book that should be in all schools.
And The Burning Land is also finally in my possession.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod