The 1st Amendment and YOU!

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
How far does your free speech stretch?

I align to the thought that everyone has the right to do whatever they want (WHATEVER THEY WANT), as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/2 ... 17614.html
(dont worry its a very short article)

Unfortunately some people don't align to my thinking.

What do you guys think 1) of this situation and 2) what do you think would happen if this case went to the Supreme Court?

thats just stupid. protesters at a funeral. what the hell is this world coming too? and how come when someone does a wrong and gets caught they hide behind the bill of rights?

Don't really understand why he had to pay or what for that matter.

I think the question here is should we allow hate speech, as it can be construed as a form of free speech?

madster111 said:
If they did that at my sons funeral, i would kill them.

Straight away.
Just shoot them dead.

That's their main source of income actually...They goad people into assaulting them and then sue. If I remember correctly the head dude is actually a lawyer as well so he can bend laws to fit his will....

But...I FUCKING HATE THE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH....I've seen them in person and it's such a fucking joke. Sure you can believe whatever you want, but to actually picket someone's funeral, that's crossing lines.

If you guys really want a facepalm check out their website http://www.godhatesfags.com

Rakon said:
I think the question here is should we allow hate speech, as it can be construed as a form of free speech?
Yep. Thats the real issue here right? Are they protected under the constitution regardless of our feelings.

Yea, whenever people cross the line they tend to cry "FREE SPEECH", but I'm scared that if this goes in front of the supreme court they will rule against Westboro and ultimately limit OUR free speech rights b/c of the horrible precedent these idiots might set.

Rakon said:
Don't really understand why he had to pay or what for that matter.
I'm not entirely sure - the only way that makes sense is, I think, whenever someone brings a suit against you and you're found not to be at fault you pay a portion of their court fees. [again, im not sure]

So, guys, quick post for a minute.
"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name."

That's one of the 10 commandments, which they are breaking constantly.

I could bring up an absolute shitload of other verses throughout the entire bible, in a multitude of translations, which point out that they are bigot morons who are going to hell in place of the 'fags' they talk about.

So, considering they're spreading hatred and breaking a commandment, if you're a man who believes in heaven and hell, you can in fact kill them all in Gods name and still go to heaven.
At least, that's what they're saying when they say 'we're going to heaven'.

Free speech eh?...This dabbles slightly in politics, and I just dont do politics.

Why dont we discus the free speech of Vanille in FF13?...She needs to shut the fuck up.

UrbanMasque said:
Unfortunately some people don't align to my thinking.

that far ;)

but so long as you're not physically harming someone or something i suppose. There's no middle ground for being 'shocked' at or towards something (I don't believe there ever was) but, have the media tell it, we're all living in the 1950s. There's no middle ground so as a nation our sensibilities towards an action are often times split far right and far left. no political connotation intended, please.

I'd like to see more fat black chicks in movies. leading roles, not just the character roles where they're getting raped by their fathers or are played by a black male comedian. Who's with me!?

Westboro are asshole trolls. Someone link them to 4chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOKzsDq ... re=related skip to about minute number 4 for a very enlightened view....

restricting freedom of speech, even stupid speech, is wrong. What can be done is marginalization; neo nazis, those morons, the RNC/DNC etc, all speak stupid most of the time, they are annoying, wrong, evil, but if you suggest taking their rights yours are forfeit as well.

Equal protection under the law, whether it be good or bad.

madster111 said:

Straight away.
Just shoot them dead.

^Typical Americans.

I agree that Free Speech is super important. But I've always thought it's more you have the right to say whatever you want, while not dictating that others must be...umm, forced to listen.

Bretimus_v2 said:
madster111 said:

Straight away.
Just shoot them dead.

^Typical Americans.

I agree that Free Speech is super important. But I've always thought it's more you have the right to say whatever you want, while not dictating that others must be...umm, forced to listen.

Except hes from Oz, not America.

Way to look silly. :roll:

Actually, it was a weigh to look sarcastic, cents he's usually crapping on us Americans. Butt I'll except silly as long as its considered whimsical inn nature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod