Streaming and downloading - Question

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, got a bit of a dumb arse question here but I'm stumped.

So... I've finally decided to try Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, Galaxy at War. Lately though, it's been so laggy for me that it's nearly unplayable. It's ridiculous.

Now we don't have the best Internet here and there are others in my house using the Internet, but using NetFlix. When one of us downloads while the other is trying to game, we will lag each other. I asked the others if they were downloading and if they were, if they could stop. I'm told they're using NetFlix and the video they are watching is fully loaded, so there shouldn't be a problem, unless someone else in the house is downloading (which isn't the case... and no, no one is hacking into our Wi-Fi :p).

There still is a gigantic problem and I'm still lagging like absolute crap.

My question is this... despite the fact their video on NetFlix is fully loaded/streamed, is it still essentially "downloading"? They say that's not how it works, but I'm told by another friend that it is still downloading. I'm convinced that despite the fact they have fully streamed the media on NetFlix, it must still be downloading, otherwise why would I be lagging so badly in ME3 multiplayer.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Don't know about Netflix, but what kind of router do you have?

I used to get booted off of PSN if someone turned the computer on or off with my old Cisco router. Upgraded to Netgear and never had a problem like that again.

Our modem is a D-Link, while the Wi-Fi router attached to it is a Belkin. Not sure if that helps?

Not really. Some routers are just really lowbrow, and can't handle stuff like that. If you still have the packaging, look to see if it says it's suited for multiplayer gaming. If not, find the serial number or something, and look it up.

My first guess is your router isn't good enough, is all.

You should Always hardline your connection to the router, it gives you priority over a wi-fi connection.

Also, at the height of your household internet consumption - do a speed test (upload and download) - because you would be sending and receiving information during the game.

When I was in college I'd have to play games at 11am or 1am due to that reason. Sucks man.

bro-tip; change the wifi password, then change it back when youre down playing.

Roommate: "aYo craig, da internetz out for ya?"
Craig: "nah bruv, I's playing right proppa"
Roommate: "it is - init"
Craig: "u wot m8"
Roommate: "......"
Roommate: "ok, i'll keep trying"
Craig: "...wanker"
-------
finish game

ADSL2+?
Telstra?

Because AFAIK, that's the fastest non-NBN internet you can get. This will give you roughly 1200kb/s to play with in terms of download speed.
720p youtube needs about 200-250kb/s to run smoothly, so unless netflix is inefficiently streaming 1080p you should have more than enough bandwidth left to run ME3.

No idea how that affects the ping, though.

For comparison, i've watched a 1080p youtube video at the same time a mate's played BF3, on ADSL1 where i max out at 650kb/s with no problems for either of us. And remember, that's full streaming. Youtube doesn't load shit these days, so if netflix does download the entire thing and have that be finished while you're playing the game, it shouldn't eat anything.

Could be your router, i suppose. Although again, i'm using an exceedingly cheap dlink modem+router that we picked up for like $40 because dodo are dickheads, and it's fine for streaming and gaming on wi-fi at the same time.

I can't check now since I'm not at home, but I think our Internet speed is supposed to be 8Mb/sec or something... we're with TPG, Telstra phone lines.

Seems everything else has been covered. All I'll add is that when they say Netflix is fully loaded, it's not. Netflix is a streaming service. The film buffers as it goes along.

Lethean said:
Seems everything else has been covered. All I'll add is that when they say Netflix is fully loaded, it's not. Netflix is a streaming service. The film buffers as it goes along.

That makes sense. Explains why I'm lagging hardcore when they're using Netflix (despite the video being "fully loaded") and why I can play good without lag when they're not home. :p

Master_Craig said:
That makes sense. Explains why I'm lagging hardcore when they're using Netflix (despite the video being "fully loaded") and why I can play good without lag when they're not home. :p
Even with ADSL1 (what you have), you should still be able to game and stream a HD movie at the same time lag free.
Do this: Download a torrent at 12-2am tonight and tell me at what speed it maxes out at. It should be somewhere between 400-800kb/s.
Now, even at 400kb/s you should still have a good 100kb/s left to play with while somebody streams a 720p video in the worst case scenario. You shouldn't actually be lagging, unless ME3 is a pig for its online and/or netflix is trying to stream a better than 720p movie for some dumbass reason.

If you get under or around 400kb/s on, say, 3 different popular torrents, that means your connection is atrocious and you should call up TPG and see what they're willing to do.
Don't try it at like 5-8pm, because that's when our entire countries internet gets on the go slow due to everybody using it at once.

Hey madster, sorry for a late reply.

Okay, so last night I turned on Steam and downloaded Team Fortess 2, which reached a top downloading speed of 1 MB/s.

This morning before I left for work, I installed Payday 2 and again, top download speed was 1 MB/s. On average it was 800 kb/s - 1 MB/s.

No one else in the house was using the Internet at either times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod