Spambots got me thinking

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Who here actually wears a wristwatch?

I haven't since highschool, which, wow, was over seven years ago now. I'm not even sure why I wore one then. They must have been gifts.

I use my mobile phone as a clock, as most people do, I think.

So watches, just for fashion? Status symbol? Useful tool?

I have the same watch that I had since I was 8 (I'm 22). It is still running on the same battery. I don't understand how either.

Because I've pretty much always had a watch, I'm addicted to knowing the time. I have a phone, but if this watch were to break I would need to go and get a new one ASAP (my wrist also feels so naked without one)

I like having a watch. It's more than a timekeeper, it's also an accessory to my pimpin' fatigues.

I wear a watch, especially on business. Makes me look more grown up. It's the only kind of man-jewelry I can really get behind (though I do have a pierced ear, but haven't worn anything in it in sometime).

Like Matt said, it's all for pimping.

Rakon said:
Because I've pretty much always had a watch, I'm addicted to knowing the time. I have a phone, but if this watch were to break I would need to go and get a new one ASAP (my wrist also feels so naked without one)

I can just imagine the whitest of white skin behind that watch.

Once cell phones became a must-have I ditched my watch and just used my phone to tell the time. But my watches were always crap anyway. Not like the ones the bots are selling, soooo classy.

I have a nice Rolex, was a gift, I use it when I dress up but it's just an accessory, completely redundant in this day and age

In the GM section there's 2 threads:
Fake watches
Replica watches

And it got me thinking. Do i want a fake or a replica? Which would be better quality? Is the fake one cardboard?

On the topic, i don't wear a watch because i live in the 21st century and have what is effectively a powerful computer in my pocket. Displaying the time from an atomic clock in any time zone is a waste of it's power, but that's at least 1/2 the reason it exists in my pocket.

Plus, unlike a watch, the alarm goes off to 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' at 7:15am and the Honda music from GT1 at 7:30.
Sometimes i mix it up and at 7:45am i wake up to 'Top O' The Mornin' To Ya'.

...Also, Sister Christian by Night Ranger at 8.
Cherry pie by warrant at 8:15

I worked at a bank for a year and since I had to wear business attire to work I sported a watch because I thought it looked more professional. Other than that time period in my life I have never wore a watch.

used44 said:
Who here actually wears a wristwatch?

I haven't since highschool, which, wow, was over seven years ago now. I'm not even sure why I wore one then. They must have been gifts.

I use my mobile phone as a clock, as most people do, I think.

So watches, just for fashion? Status symbol? Useful tool?

I was listening to NPR the other day while driving home from work, and they had a story on wristwatches. Basically, they serve no use in today's western world except as a fashion and/or status symbol. In fact, most people who have them don't even use them to check the time. They just pull out their phones anyways.

I guess that watches have been selling better than ever though, especially the really high priced ones. The NPR story attributed it to the current fashion trend of embracing "old-timey" things.

I've tried wearing a watch, but I get so self aware of it existing that it ends up bothering me all the time. Like a itch I need to scratch. I end up fooling around with it. Taking it on and off, stuff like that. For the same reason I can't wear rings or any other jewelry.

I have a nice silver and blue Seiko that is my daily wear watch and for more formal stuff I have a sweet Movado. I use them as jewelry since they pair up will nicely with my necklace and bracelet and I also use them for the time as it is quicker to glance at my wrist than to dig my phone out of my pocket. The Seiko is a nice heavy watch and I've grown so accustomed to the weight that my wrist feels naked when I'm not wearing it. Only type of mens jewelry I'm not particularly fond of is rings.

I had a pretty good Timex that I used for a few years, but it took a bit too much abuse and broke. I would love to have a watch in class, though, since none of my rooms have clocks in them.

I don't. Apparently I inhereted from my mother an increased natural electrical field that messes with any wristwatch that we try to wear, be it Analogue or Digital.

I've worn a water resistant, digital watch since 4th grade. Problem is, I end up breaking them all. I have to buy them from Walmart for that reason. I just get the rubbery plastic ones that display all the useful information.

The one I'm wearing now I got my freshman year of high school. I think I probably went a full year without taking it off. I've worn it into both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, but the Atlantic kinda messed up its innards. It starts to short out if you push all of its buttons enough, but who doesn't do that? :p Then the strap holder thingy broke off, and I decided to get a new watch.

I wore that one until the same thing happened, only this one I decided to use a plastic twist tie in its place. It worked, until the watch's straps started to break apart like licorice. So I took the twist tie and put it on my other watch, and I've worn it since.

Well, almost. Over this particularly hot summer, I've decided to go without it, because my entire body starts to sweat outside, and it just feels uncomfortable having something on my wrist. Of course, I feel naked, but sometimes that's a refreshing feeling, if you know what I mean.

danielrbischoff said:
I wear a watch, especially on business. Makes me look more grown up. It's the only kind of man-jewelry I can really get behind (though I do have a pierced ear, but haven't worn anything in it in sometime).

Like Matt said, it's all for pimping.

All of this! I have both ears pierced, but, like daniel, I guess I've outgrown male earrings. ...until I Googled these black diamond earrings!
2h6d4r7.png

Ooh, "blackened" white gold? What does that even mean?
A pair of these puppies could get me wearing earrings again.

But I still rock a watch, and I feel naked without one. I'm just use to it, is all.

I haven't worn a watch on a daily basis since I had a fly calculator watch in grade school.

Other than that, watches have always been an accessory to an outfit. It's all about using my phone nowadays.

The salsa?
speaking of dancing, am I the only guy here who doesn't know how to do the Electric Slide?
Whenever, wherever that song comes on I fake a hip injury and sit down. Wow...first Office, now this? What a shameful outing this is turning into.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle