Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solaris10

Rookie
Rent or buy?

I tought I had got what it tooks to ignore this title but it turned out to be good. Am I missing something big or is it a title that will lose a lot of it's freshness in the upcoming days?

I never rent games, so for me, if I want to play it, I will buy it. Fortunately for my wallet, I don't find fighting games to hold my inttrest for very long anymore, so I doubt I'll pick it up.

Fighting games are all about having friends to play with. Luckily for me, my friends and I are obsessed about Soul Calibur, and we always play eachother. So must buy for me.

We also play lotsa Guilty Gear and some Tekken. Good times.

Rent it, it was kind of disappointing for me. The single player is pretty bad and the customization is somewhat limited this time around, plus the online is kind of flimsy.

How is cutomization limited? I saw some user created characters and it was beyond anything I've seen in the previous SC games. They made a ton of characters from other games in it.

I rent SC4...and am I glad I did.

THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE!

Slow paced, weak multiplayer, weal story...urgh. I am ashamed for this serie used to be awesome.

EliaSoZ said:
How is cutomization limited? I saw some user created characters and it was beyond anything I've seen in the previous SC games. They made a ton of characters from other games in it.

True, you can make a ton of characters, but the problem is that each of them is a skin of an established character, negating the custom weapons set that I liked in Soul Calibur three. Another problem is the statistics aspect, because I am sure there is a certain set of armor that maxes out attack, defense, etc. which will negate all of the custom created characters in the long run, because then everyone will use them to max out the stats.

For every step forward they made with it, they take a step back with it too.

The apprentice has to be the WORST character. I played against him in arcade and, I mean it's just overkill. He does the same attack; an overpowered blade beam/ huge explosion, and when you're on the ground he'll do nothing but slash you on the ground.

It's a rent.

Lethean said:
How is a fighting game slow paced? And how much story can you expect from it? :p

Well, some fighting games at least have a good story, or a coherent one. Tekken, Street Fighter, etc are examples.

Story wise for Soul Calibur, it's decent, but they make it so damn short that the events of one game don't reflect the events of another, it's just the retelling of the same stories over and over again.

I bought Soul Calibur IV last week for the PS3. I'm a fan of the series, having Soul Calibur II on the Nintendo Game Cube and Soul Calibur III on the PS2.

I was disappointed with SC4. While I haven't tried it out online just yet, the story mode is just very short, it feels extremely tacked on especially since this is a title that is supposed to be on the "next-gen" consoles. In SC3, the story mode at least had dialog in between fights (in the form of text) and a little more freedom. It was flawed, it wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it regardless and found it much more enjoyable and in the end more rewarding than the single player of SC4.

SC4's single player as I've already said, I feel is very tacked on. It's only five stages/fights long, and there is little dialog in the whole thing. The final cut scenes vary, but it's not too exciting at all.

The new Tower of Souls mode is okay, but at the same time is frustrating. I had to do one fight where you fight one guy, straight after you fight three guys, and straight after you fight three more guys in an arena impossible of ring outs. I had only two fighters of my own, and it was annoying that there's no form of recovery or anything.

Character creation is okay, it's much broader than SC3. But I'm not too sure about all the "stats", nor am I too sure about ripping off another character's fighting form. The customisation is much more broad but I feel it's not broad enough. Again, this is supposed to be a next-gen title. I expected more.

Versus mode is always fun, of course. Some characters though I feel are a bit unbalanced. The Apprentice for example, is very fun, enjoyable and powerful. But some other characters are just.. pitiful, compared to him.

I don't really know, or see how the Star Wars characters fit. In fact, I think it's just down right dodgy. Regardless I will admit it is cool to see these characters in a fighting game.

Now, this isn't really a game play issue but I've gotta say.. what's up with Namco and making the majority of their female fighters all busty and bouncy with revealing outfits? It's kind of hard to take the game seriously with this stuff, and just makes me think suspiciously of the developers over at Namco. Yes, I know the new character Hilde is clad in a full suit of armor, but in the developer videos of this game.. I swear they were using "Look! Hilde doesn't wear revealing clothes!" as a selling point. -_-

I'd probably give the game a B- or a B. If you're into fighting games or/and into the Soul Calibur franchise - buy it.

EliaSoZ said:
Fighting games are all about having friends to play with. Luckily for me, my friends and I are obsessed about Soul Calibur, and we always play eachother. So must buy for me.

We also play lotsa Guilty Gear and some Tekken. Good times.

Nothing compares to Guilty Gear. It's the jesus of fighting games.

guilty gear is friggin great. I loves me some gold cliff :)
but I love the SC IV too, its just way too fun to create a customer character and you have like fifty slots, Im workin on the cast of Claymore right now, and the combat is as fun as it always was, cept for mitsurugi lost his forward, forward(hold), Y,Y,Y
or Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, but gained a quicker low kick, so its pretty even he can do quicker ground damage now so thats cool, plus the soul ruining 'Flying Knee' is back and just as quick and silly as ever before

SCIV has the perfect mix of old and new to make it really annoying...

And character customization seems limited now only because they don't let you use whatever you want without your character sucking.

LinksOcarina said:
Lethean said:
How is a fighting game slow paced? And how much story can you expect from it? :p

Well, some fighting games at least have a good story, or a coherent one. Tekken, Street Fighter, etc are examples.

Story wise for Soul Calibur, it's decent, but they make it so damn short that the events of one game don't reflect the events of another, it's just the retelling of the same stories over and over again.

That's true.

I really couldn't tell the difference from Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2. I mean, which one was it where as Kilik you took the Nightmare sword and went off on your own to meditate and contain the evil or whatever? 1 or 2? Or was it the same in both? I recall they were pretty much the same thing from one game to the next.

And you beat it with Mitsurugi and...Guess what! He pretty much goes off to do the same thing Kilik did. (If I recall correctly.)

BWahahaha, yeah, they over did it a little.

You know what I used to say back in SOul Calibur 1? Ivy is gonna get more and more undress as the serie goes on.... The scary thing is, I wasnt wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod