some of the member reviews are terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapow

Regular
http://www.gamerevolution.com/mreview/p ... y_4/jorl17

Just one of many examples of horrible reviews. I actually a few months ago wrote a blog based on these types of reviews.
*A general opinion GR is not the only site I am basing this on*
Hello everyone, I have been a gamer for a good long while and in this time I have read thousands upon thousands of video game reviews. Many have been good, but still there is a great portion of reviews that are lame on many levels. I have decided to reviews reviewers in a sense by pointing out some big no no's of reviewing.

1: A paragraph is not a review
When your reviewing a game, go into some sort of detail when writing it. If your review says "THISD GAMEEEE ISSS SOOO GOOOD BUY ITT NOW!!!!" don't even bother. When writing for a site under no pressure of a deadline make a decent lengthed review.

2: Don't be to negative or positive
If your always to nice then people will buy games that potentially suck and will therefore be pissed off at you. On the other hand if you are to negative people won't know what games are good or not and therefore people will be pissed off at you.

3: Learn a language
We all make little errors in spelling every now and then, even I make a error or two. Now if your review looks like a foreign language or like a three year old wrote it, don't bother showing it, unless of course you want to show an example of what NOT to write like.

4: Graphics = Fun?
If you are reviewing a older game, please review the graphics to the standard of that year. If you can't do that then tough! Write a more current review. It sounds ignorant to say something like "The graphics of Super Mario World are very dry, 2d, and bland compared to the X-box 360 graphics.

If you manage to avoid these negatives then your review skills will improve a great deal. If this blog has pissed you off in anyway, then go write better reviews. I joke I joke. Until next time.

Heh, oh well. If these bad reviewers don't want to take time and effort to actually write something worth reading, can't do much except rate them low and add a comment. Kapow nice thread.

kapow said:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/mreview/xbox360/tony_hawk_american_wasteland/sparky_06

http://www.gamerevolution.com/mreview/x ... atista1333

Candidates for deletion, I would say. A+ shouldn't even be an option in member reviews, because people are going to abuse it (as seen here). The GR grading system is based on the idea that an A+ is perfect, and almost unattainable for any video game (except Silent Hill, of course..)

JesseDarkin said:
We all make little errors in spelling every now and then, even I make a error or two.
Yes, even you do!

That is why it is a USER REVIEW!!!! OMFG, it is somebody's opinion and they AREN'T PAID TO GIVE IT. So why don't we just chillax?

StalfrosCC said:
That is why it is a USER REVIEW!!!! OMFG, it is somebody's opinion and they AREN'T PAID TO GIVE IT. So why don't we just chillax?

Yea, seriously. The only reason they are there is to make people feel important.

Even when you're not getting paid, I see no point in writing pure nosense just to fill the site. It takes away all the interest people still might have on reading them. There might be some member reviews that actually were well written and thought of. And this way they get lost.

I'm not expecting people to put as much trouble on writing member reviews as do professional reviewers. But some sense would be nice. I'm willing to read someone elses opinions, but only if they can explain me how they got this opinion.

I told duke, I would be glad to be a volunteer, and decide on wether or not a review should be up, and what not.

There's got to be some way, to make them be put up for review, so I can help ;)

that's what the 'rate this review' option is there for. if a review gets enough bad ratings it will be removed automatically. we're going with natural selection instead of intelligent design (which just sounds like a headache and a half).

d

I have to admit, I've given out a couple too many A+ reviews, but at least my reviews are written rather well.

I think.

there is a little bit of difference between a Fan really really liking a game and Giving it a A+ and writing the type of rewiew you expect from a Fan and somebody who is just slamming on the keyboard.

Keep giving those A+ if you feel that is what the game deserves.

StalfrosCC said:
there is a little bit of difference between a Fan really really liking a game and Giving it a A+ and writing the type of rewiew you expect from a Fan and somebody who is just slamming on the keyboard.

Keep giving those A+ if you feel that is what the game deserves.

Thanks StalfrosCC.

Please note my latest review: Pariah.

I gave it the lowest mark I have yet given a review: C+

Man, I've really got to review some more 'piles-o-dung' games.

It's their review of the game, therefore their opinion. Would you purpose that they censor them because of their opinion on a game? Like duke said, if it gets bad user ratings, it can be deleted.

This is a member review for Dark Messiah Might and Magic. I'm sure even TheNesMan will object to it.

Hy!!
I'm Deno.
I can't wait anymore to play this game, I heard it's great!!
To play this game you must have at least 2Mhz, 1GB RAM and a good graphic card!!!
I recommand you 2GB RAM, 4000 Mhz if you want to play without any problems!!
For more info about game visit:
http://www.mightandmagic.com/us/darkmessiah/teaser/

Basically, the review is one line. The rest is system specs, an introduction and the game's official web address. From the sounds of it, they didn't even play the game!

Theres no way you can moderate member reviews constantly, and I agree with what duke said, if the review is good, it'll have a high rating, therefore the review is worth reading. So basically stay away from 1 star reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod