Snow lightning

Sourdeez

Regular
Has anyone else ever experienced snow lightning? It had snowed a couple feet in Illinois one year and I was looking out my window that night. All of sudden a blinding flash of white light beamed through my window blinding me. I panicked thinking "This is it! This is an alien encounter!"

A few seconds later my vision came back to me and I turned to my computer to look up if lightning could strike in a snowstorm. The light refracts through the snow.

I'm sure he was high as f*ck whenever he thought aliens. Anyways, that never happened to me, but was interesting to share.

One time I was walking to work, these weird lights were in the sky. Scarred the piss out of me, because it looked like hundreds of planes were flying together heading over my town. So, I rushed to get to work and told my friends what I've seen. They stepped outside looked at it for a minute and then started laughing. I'm getting furious, because maybe they didn't see what I saw. They came back inside and told me they were most likely Chinese candles...I take back what I said, Sourdeez.

When i see bright lights outside my window, my thinking is more along the lines of 'GRABHDDSMICROWAVENOWNOWNOW', not 'aliens'.

I have never experienced this but it sounds pretty awesome. There's gotta be a motivational poster in some natural science museum somewhere.

You've NEVER seen snow?!
Get used to send you some in the mail.

And that's the one joke in the "used-lives-in-a-snowy-place" genre for now.

UrbanMasque said:
Never heard of what you described. Can you be sure it wasn't aliens masking their trail?

If it was aliens, All I wanna say is "Come the fuck back!". Seriously, If aliens came to earth and offered to take volunteers with them I would go. Even though in my mind I know its one of the most dangerous things I could do.

MattAY said:
You've NEVER seen snow?!
Get used to send you some in the mail.

And that's the one joke in the "used-lives-in-a-snowy-place" genre for now.

Haha, yup it's true. I've never seen snow with my own eyes.

The first time I honestly experienced a "winter" environment was in mid-2008, when I visited Melbourne, Victoria (Australia). It was really cold, but it wasn't snowing. My body could barely take it, because I'm so used to a tropical and humid environment.

I'd love to see snow one day. It's one of my goals in travelling.

Snow is a lot like your wife's parents.
It's really cool when you go see it, but you don't want it at your house.

That's why I'm glad I live at the base of a mountain range. It's an hour drive up to a snow park where I can ski, but it doesn't snow where I live.

Sourdeez said:
UrbanMasque said:
Never heard of what you described. Can you be sure it wasn't aliens masking their trail?

If it was aliens, All I wanna say is "Come the fuck back!". Seriously, If aliens came to earth and offered to take volunteers with them I would go. Even though in my mind I know its one of the most dangerous things I could do.

This.

Green_Lantern said:
Snow is overrated and is terrible.
No. You're wrong, your opinion is wrong, and you should be punished for it.

If its that mud-season slush that tracks everywhere and gets into everything an you can't wear nice clothes for 2 months, then yes I agree - but without snow.. there is no winter/christmas season. period. No matter how many lights people put up.

Today a bolt of lightning struck a tree about 30 feet from where I was standing, sending shredded wood flying past me. Scared the shit out of me. So after this, I have no interest in seeing snow lightning.

You mean like this? Looks amazing how white and smooth it looks

lightning-blows-bark-off-of-tree.jpg

Hope your ok.

WTF! No, not at all as perfectly scalped as that!

20130530_125934.jpg

20130530_125922.jpg

This is what my tree looks like. The spread of wood is what is most interesting to me. I have wood all over the roof of my two story house, as well as bits of wood that made it over the whole house.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle