• Sci-fi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Of course they're both such broad terms and they can often cross-over, but what do you generally prefer? Lasers and spaceships or swords and dragons? What specific worlds do you love, and does it change across different media (ie. you love Mass Effect, but only read Tolkien)?

i love both but very little sci fi has ever been written/brought to the small/big screen that I enjoy.. so I'm going to go with fantasy.

well the more i think about it the more i realize there is very little of either ive ever enjoyed...

for sci fi.. the new star trek movies/contact/prometheus, a few of the movies i've enjoyed..

and I think i chose fantasy because i'm currently obsessed with game of thrones, the books and the show. never could stomach lord of the rings (the movies), havent made it more than an hour into any of them. GoT is the adult version of LOTR i've been waiting for wish I knew of the books before the show.

have always been fascinated with medievil times and the likes.. green rolling hills, castles, swords, etc. love it all.. and the fantasy aspects, dragons, etc.

and am absolutely obsessed with aliens and the search for life outside of our planet, and my mind is blown daily by the sheer size of our universe.. even though i've gone through it in my head a million times, it still blows my mind every time i think about it, how incredibly insignificant we are..

very close for me..

I love Asimov and R.A. Salvatore, but I'd have to give the edge in reading to Fantasy.

I want to play League of Legends, but I get intimidated easily. In games, I have to give the edge to Sci-Fi.

Sci-Fi is really cool, in part because it exists in the same universe we exist in, and has a chance of someday becoming a reality.

Do you prefer your science fiction fast and full of action (ie Star Wars, the new Star Trek, etc.), or slow and scientific (ie original/TNG/any show Star Trek, books, etc.)?

It's really a tough call as I love both equally and really never tire of repeat viewings. Every time I think I'm leaning towards sci fi because of such greats as Alien, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Prometheus I then think about what fantasy has to offer. Lord of The Rings, Neverending Story, Stardust, Wings of Desire...

I think there are more sci fi films released theatrically but the fantasy ones that do make it to the theater are generally a bit more consistently good. For every Prometheus there's a dozen Babylon A.Ds

I really enjoy both genres for what they offer. There's a lot more room to work and go places you won't otherwise get to go in other genre films. There's darker undertones often found in both genres and themes are tackled that would normal be rejected in other genres as well. Perhaps it's because the average sci-fi and fantasy film goer is a little more cerebral? I'm not sure. Or perhaps they just are used to the themes set in front of them that it won't turn them off.

Even when it comes to fast paced or a slow burn of a film, I enjoy both - As long as I know what I'm getting myself into and I'm in the mood for it. Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite films yet I've only seen it 2 or 3 times. 2FAST 2FURIOUS is a steaming pile of entertaining poop and I've seen it like 5 times.

Sci-fi but I like sci-fi that isn't too outlandish. I loved the movies Moon and Sunshine, two completely different films but both they felt very "real". Instead of aliens and distant galaxies they were movies set on our own turf. Then there's 2001, great film unless you're ADD (no offense, it's just a very slow-paced movie)

But I also like fantasy too. Lord of the Rings for example is my fave.

WickedLiquid said:
Sci-fi but I like sci-fi that isn't too outlandish. I loved the movies Moon and Sunshine, two completely different films but both they felt very "real". Instead of aliens and distant galaxies they were movies set on our own turf. Then there's 2001, great film unless you're ADD (no offense, it's just a very slow-paced movie)

But I also like fantasy too. Lord of the Rings for example is my fave.

Forgot about Moon, and its top 5 of all time for me. Fancy that. God that movie was good and Sam Rockwell is a beast of an actor.

And then I thought Sunshine was one of the worst movies of all time, albeit entertaining. My bros wife and I watched it late at night and couldn't stop laughing, we thought it was a joke. I might watch it again, I'd just had a few to drink though so I'm not sure my view will change.

edit: will watch tonight actually kinda curious if i was just more fuarked up than I thought.. was quite a while ago and i hear so many people say its good and just dont understand it.. so I probably missed something

Why not both?

tumblr_mm8gvj9Mva1r6brt0o1_500.jpg

I like Science Fiction way more than fantasy. It's like 10x more entertaining to me, just because it leans more towards what could happen in the future, whereas so much fantasy deals with "a long time ago." Who gives a shit about the past.

I prefer Sci-Fi because it gives us more to think about. Science fiction may point us towards the stars, but what we really see is...ourselves. But seriously, the best of the genre asks some pretty big questions of the reader/viewer. We get so-called "hard sci-fi" which displays the awesome advances that humans are capable of and almost dares us to strive for it (usually anything involving a spaceship, robots, hypersleep, that sort of thing). Then we also have "soft sci-fi" which takes all the robots and spaceships and technology and asks "does it still makes us human?" These are where your dystopian societies, mind-control drugs, robot slaves, and all that jazz comes in (stuff by Vonnegut, Huxley, LeGuin, Prometheus, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)

Meanwhile, with fantasy, what do we really learn from it? What will it tell future generations? Good triumphs over evil? Loyalty and honor are rilly important? Orcs and dragons are always evil? You have to go on a quest if you want to get anything done around here? In general, things are more one-dimensional; there is just far less philosophical meat on its artistic bones. No disrespect, but that's just how I see it.

EDIT: Here is an excellent flow chart for those looking for their next sci-fi/fantasy read: http://www.myextralife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SFSignalNPR100Flowchart.jpg

I hold to the fact that most scifi authors get too wrapped predicting and describing future technology and their books end up becoming more about the tech than people within. I love both but I feel like I could point to lots of classics and hold this as true.

Wheel of Time is amazing and everyone should devote the next three years of their life to reading the series.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars and Trek style of sci-fi, but really enjoy Alien, Moon and Event Horizon type of stuff. Horror visions of the future, first contact with alien life things.

I enjoy both, but at the end of the day I prefer sci-fi. When it comes to films and video games, I really do appreciate sci-fi over fantasy, things like Star Wars, Mass Effect, Deus Ex etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod