RPG's vs. Action

this is more like a poll not a forum post but in general which do you play more RPG's(FF and the lke) or action (MGS and such)

well, mgs4 isn't really true action, but when I compare, say, Fable 2 to gears of war 2, I would have to say I like to alternate.

Get me the GENERAL!

And although most people spend days on end playing things like Warcraft, I haven't played any game more than I've played CoD4, and games like MGS4 and the old Syphon Filters are close to follow.

But Action/RPGs are the best.

Gosh, I guess I play more action games just because there are more good action games than there are good RPGs. But as for which genre is my favorite of the two, I would have to say RPG. Not many action games can top a good RPG.

And I'll move this to the General Gaming forum.

used44 said:
Gosh, I guess I play more action games just because there are more good action games than there are good RPGs. But as for which genre is my favorite of the two, I would have to say RPG. Not many action games can top a good RPG.
same

Really, it's about even. I get bored fairly quickly in games, so an RPG like Mass Effect or KOTOR are decent until about 3/4 of the way through. Action games like Gears or Call of Duty are always fun, but can get old quickly. So I want something sort of in the middle. I'm playing through Fallout right now, and it's just that.

keepithowitis said:
Really, it's about even. I get bored fairly quickly in games, so an RPG like Mass Effect or KOTOR are decent until about 3/4 of the way through. Action games like Gears or Call of Duty are always fun, but can get old quickly. So I want something sort of in the middle. I'm playing through Fallout right now, and it's just that.

You said it better then me.

Too bad Fallout was too short.

RPG's, once I put down an action game im doen with it - cool graphics/gameplay - but nothing can beat an RPG with a good storyline. Thinking about the characters after the game ends - reading countless amounts fan fiction - and nothing beats getting immersed in the characters' world in an RPG. I guess you can do the same with action but i can't make that connection.

For me to like an Action game - it has to have a great multiplayer mode or awesome online features.

GTA4 is the exception to this... best game i've played since FF7.

I don't think I've ever read a fan-fiction, but the mere fact that RPGs were the inspiration for most of them says volumes about how good and immersive the plots of RPGs can be.

used44 said:
I don't think I've ever read a fan-fiction, but the mere fact that RPGs were the inspiration for most of them says volumes about how good and immersive the plots of RPGs can be.

I don't think RPGs have particularly wonderful plots. I think the mere fact that you're playing the game for 80 or more hours causes you to be attached to the characters, and genuinely feel involved with them.

Many shorter games, Bioshock for instance, have well thought out stories.

Hmm, i do play more action games than rpgs, but my pretty much favorite ever game is Knights of the Old Republic. So, i dunno, they're sort of hard to compare.

Diabolus said:
used44 said:

I don't think RPGs have particularly wonderful plots. I think the mere fact that you're playing the game for 80 or more hours causes you to be attached to the characters, and genuinely feel involved with them.

Many shorter games, Bioshock for instance, have well thought out stories.

I guess that's why I said "immersive." RPGs tend to have more realized worlds than action games, with more characters to dissect. Obviously there are some action games that are exceptions to the rule, like Bioshock. I wasn't thinking that length or longevity had anything to do with it, but I guess it does. Good point.

Anyway, I was just adding to Urban's fan fic comment. I'm not saying that story is necessarily the main reason I prefer RPGs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod