Rolling Stone's top 10 albums of the 90's

I hope I don't get burned for this, but I don't really like Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah"...

And I don't remember ever being into The Smashing Pumpkins. My knowledge of (contemporary) music didn't really start until after I was in high school, though, so... yeah... I discovered most of this music much much later. It's funny and sad how much of the 90s I ended up missing. =\

I agree with 5 of them - the top 3, Metallica's Black Album, and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness the rest are pretty meh worhty. .

I also happen to be one of the people to say that OK Computer is Radiohead's best album, but I wouldn't say they peaked with that album...

and fuck U2

Green_Lantern said:
I also happen to be one of the people to say that OK Computer is Radiohead's best album, but I wouldn't say they peaked with that album...

and f*** U2

OK Computer IS their best, but it's only slightly better than Kid A and In Rainbows which also happened to be in the top 10 for Rollingstone's top 100 of the decade (2000-2009). So screw anyone who says they peaked with OK Computer :p

As for U2, I understand all the hate Bono gets. But back in the 90's they were amazing and Bono wasn't being a douche. I was a big fan of Achtung Baby, but today... not so much. It hasn't stood the test of time and I agree #4 is too high. The other albums however are just as good today as they were back then.

Eh...I've never liked Bono or their music.

Same with Depeche Mode, another band that it seems like everyone in the world loves, but I can't stand.

I went into that link expecting to rage, but came out only disagreeing with number 4, and wondering why Metallica wasn't higher up on the list.

Green_Lantern said:
Same with Depeche Mode, another band that it seems like everyone in the world loves, but I can't stand.

Monocle%20Man.jpg

WHAT DID HE JUST SAY???

I'm just going to put this out there....this was obviously decided by the type of people who read Rolling Stone magazine.

Green_Lantern said:
Eh...I've never liked Bono or their music.

Haters gonna hate.

Disagree with Nevermind. U2 always sounds the same post 80s. Downward Spiral should have been on there. Glad Radiohead made the cut.

The list is mostly horrible.
It's not that surprising though, it's based on a reader's poll.
...readers of rolling stone...
Whoever sold 10 million records automatically gets a spot.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Lentium said:
The list is mostly horrible.
It's not that surprising though, it's based on a reader's poll.
...readers of rolling stone...
Whoever sold 10 million records automatically gets a spot.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

I agree with Leathen. Replace U2 with NIN The Downward Spiral and it would be a great list. However I disagree with the argument that Nirvana should not be #1.

Nevermind outsold Micheal Jackson's album Dangerous. I'm not sure you people understand what a big deal that was. This is before the molestation charges and before MJ was the butt end of every single joke. Micheal Jackson was THE biggest star and had been for well over a decade.

So does the album sales = quality? No. But the reason Nevermind outsold Micheal Jackson was because Nirvana introduced a fusion of pop and punk that wasn't heard before. MTV soon labeled it grunge and grew their attention to mosh pits. It was new and excited and eventually lead to the term "alternative rock",

I've gotten into many debates over whether or not Cobain is overrated. I don't think he's overrated. Would he still be considered one of the greats had he not died from shotgun blast to the head? Maybe, maybe not. Would Hendrix still be considered on of the greats had he not killed himself from a drug overdose? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, Cobain wrote all the music for Nevermind, he was truly a talented artist. If he had only learned to embrace his success instead of fear it the 90's probably wouldn't have shifted into a limbo stage where rap/metal took over.

Well, sure, now. But had this list been made in the 90s Jeff Buckley wouldn't have cracked the top 50, and in his place would be Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.
The 90s belonged to straight up gangsta' rap just as much, if not more, than the grunge movement.
1297750095144.gif

This list is just funnie.

Well it IS Rolling Stone, which is supposed to be rock related.

If we had a top 10 of the 90's according to Vibe magazine or any hip-hop related stuff we'd see a much different list.

Chris_Crime said:
Well, sure, now. But had this list been made in the 90s Jeff Buckley wouldn't have cracked the top 50, and in his place would be Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.
The 90s belonged to straight up gangsta' rap just as much, if not more, than the grunge movement.

This list is just funnie.

Top 10 albums of the 90's according to BlackStar...

#10 The Slim Shady LP Eminem
theslimshadylpbig.jpg

#9 The Score The Fugees
albumfugeesrefugeecampt.jpg

#8Aquemini Outkast
g112albumoutkastaquemin.jpg

#7 Ill Communication Beastie Boys
illcommunication785195.jpg

#6 The Chronic Dr. Dre
tumblrlgp52ty2ep1qeln72.jpg

#5 Me Against the World 2Pac
2pacmeagainsttheworldfr.jpg