RIP MCA

WickedLiquid

Regular
I'm a huge Beastie Boys fan and it sucks for me to be the one to announce to GR that MCA Adam Yauch has passed away from Cancer at age 47.
http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/05/04/adam ... boys-dead/

Man, I can't even begin to tell you guys how sad this is for me. I've been a fan since the early 90's when I first discovered that there was music outside of my parent's tastes. Beastie Boys were a staple in my generation as well as people much younger and older than me. They touched a lot of people and now it's all over. Their last album Hot Sauce Committee was one of the best albums of 2011 (IMO, THE best of 2011). After decades of working together, they still had it!

RIP MCA, and thanks for the songs

And just for some nostalgia here's this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFcMu-A ... re=related

Aw man that's incredibly sad. Love his stuff. I'm glad he was able to fight so long. RIP.

Quote from the link I posted

When Ad-Rock and Mike D accepted the Beastie Boys’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago, they read a letter from Yauch thanking both his bandmates and the group’s fans: “I’d like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike,â€

Oh man, that's incredibly sad. I remember the year I went to Lollapalooza I was pumped to see them, but they pulled out because that was right after his diagnosis. Even more sad, is the last I heard he had recovered. Even more sad than that were the rumors that he did not seek "conventional" cures because of his Buddhist faith.

I fear one of my greatest regrets in life will be never having seen them live. When I was old enough to go see one of their live shows they were on that massive break after Hello Nasty. Then they came back and I just got distracted and the tour stop for To the 5 Burroughs near me was sold out....

I'm so bummed.

Yeah you missed out, I've seen them twice. Not trying to rub it in just saying they put on a great show. I'd suggest going out and getting Awesome! I Fuckin Shot That. It's one of the coolest concert DVD's I've seen.

Beastie Boys was hip-hop for white guys without feeling contrived and hip-hop for black guys without feeling ridiculous.

While I can't say I was a huge fan I appreicate their contribution to punk and hip-hop.

RIP

I was never a huge fan, but I like them and know enough to appreciate what they did. Death is always such a shame.

WickedLiquid said:
Yeah you missed out, I've seen them twice. Not trying to rub it in just saying they put on a great show. I'd suggest going out and getting Awesome! I Fuckin Shot That. It's one of the coolest concert DVD's I've seen.
Yeah I've got that! Such an awesome show, you can tell the people in the audience were just going crazy the entire show long.

Wes said:
Beastie Boys was hip-hop for white guys without feeling contrived and hip-hop for black guys without feeling ridiculous.

While I can't say I was a huge fan I appreicate their contribution to punk and hip-hop.

RIP

This is how I felt. Plus, it's funny rap and very self-effacing on their part which goes against the rap norm of the time. Can't tell you how many times I listened to Sabotage in high school while cruising with friends.

So I'm also just finding out that MCA was behind the movie distribution company Oscilloscope Laboratories. This man was the reason crazy-good movies like The Messengers, Exit Through The Gift Shop, and Bellflower got made (or at least seen by people--myself included)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod