Re: Super Street Fighter 2 turbo HD Remix review

Hawk_one

Rookie
Ok, just to make sure, this isn't a complain. Andrew Podolsky did a decent job. In fact, being a bit more low-key review than is usual, it was pretty fine (some other reviews have been a bit too over-the-top, in my opinion).

However, there is more new stuff to the game than merely graphics and sound. BUT, I am saying this not as a complaint, but an observation. See, the reason these changes aren't noticed by Andrew (and probably wouldn't have been noticed by me if I didn't have some extra knowledge) is because they are mainly made to fix balance issues. Some "bad" characters gets their attacks spiffed up, maybe a couple of more new things, or some really good characters get a few nerfs. It doesn't sound like a lot to you and me and most people reading these reviews.... But to the Street Fighter community, it's a world of difference.

Without demanding or requesting that he rewrites any part of his review (again, it's doing well considering the audience it's written for), I would just like to invite Andrew to take a look at these changes. The lead designer, David Sirlin, happened to keep updates on how he tweaked each and every character in the game, and the end result can be found on this page here. It's pretty neat to be able to follow the process and the reasoning of making a game like this, and Sirlin kept in close touch with the champions of the original SSF2T (he's also an avid player, and he's a national champion in at least a couple of the gazillion Street Fighter games out there) to make sure his decisions made for a more balanced game.

Perhaps one thing Andrew could have noticed is that quite a few of the more difficult attacks now have new and easier commands to execute, the reasoning being that it's not so much a matter of learning how to perform a Super (or other complicated attack) but when it's a good idea to do it. Not a major change, to be sure, but maybe worth noticing and mentioning. I don't know.

OK, that's just it. You're doing pretty well overall, Andrew, keep it up!

wow. i just read some of that designer diary. i do not understand anywhere near enough about sf2 to comment other than to say street fighter fans are obsessed.

and i'll make sure andrew checks it out.

They certainly are. Perhaps if there's one other thing Andrew might be a bit off-the-target of in his review, it's his comment on how fans may tire soon of this game. But it's not his fault he didn't know how obsessive the core fanbase of this game is. ;)

Now?

Duke_Ferris said:
wow. i just read some of that designer diary. i do not understand anywhere near enough about sf2 to comment other than to say street fighter fans are obsessed.

Heh, you have no idea. Try and get hold of the film "Bang the Machine" and it'll give you some insight into how deep the following goes. Its quite hard to track down now so if you can't find it look up some videos from the Evolution tournaments on youtube... or just take two minutes to browse the shoryuken forums.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle