Project Eternity

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by drathbone, Sep 16, 2012.

1. drathbone

drathbone Regular

So I followed up on the front page post regarding the countdown from Obsidian's website. Turns out it's "Project Eternity", a brand new IP which shouts out to the classic isometric, party-based, tactical RPG's like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc. It is funded by kickstarter which has already reached it's initial goal of $1.1million with some neat tier-based donation rewards. It sounds good to me and I'm definitely going to donate to at least get the digital download. Here's the website and the kickstarter page:

Main page - http://eternity.obsidian.net/
    Kickstarer page - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... y?ref=live

2. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Should be ok. I do have a LOT of questions about this world and the game right now, so I am going to hold off on pitching in for a week or so.

That said, I am kind of not expecting a be all end all type of game, just something that will be a throwback to the isometric RPGs, which is both a good and bad thing.

3. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm only recently familiar with Obsidian games. Love them though. This will be more similar to their classic titles which I don't know, but good for them.

On a related note, I think I liked Alpha Protocol more than your average bear.

4. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Same. Had a lot of problems, but a story ain't one.

Ok, that was a bad joke. Still true though, Alpha Protocol had one of the better storylines out there, and one of the better conversation systems as well, because of the mechanics meshing with the intrigue.

5. drathbone

drathbone Regular

Personally I trust them enough to at least follow through on a good throwback/shoutout. I've lost $20 to worse things than a videogame, especially if it brings me just a modicum of pleasure and nostalgia.

6. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Oh no doubt, I agree.

I just hope the general gaming public recognizes that too, and reviewers keep this all in mind.

7. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Obsidian... doing an isometric RPG?

Uh, yeah, I'm in on that.

8. drathbone

drathbone Regular

In case anyone missed it, the Kickstarter ended just shy of $4 million donated, but that's not including paypal backers which counts towards the stretch goals. Here's the break down:

Kickstarter
    Backers: 73,986
    Pledged: $3,986,929

PayPal
    Backers: 3,681
    Pledged: $176,279

Totals
    Backers: 77,667
    Pledged: $4,163,208

The $3.4 million mark put them in the record books as the highest funded video game funded via Kickstarter, surpassing Double Fine's campaign that ended at $3.3 million.

The support for these guys is pretty incredible. Also, there's lots of amazing things in store for the game that have been announced with the stretch goals. It's going to be a monster. Check out the greatness at http://eternity.obsidian.net/

I, for one, simply cannot wait for this game.

9. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I have put money in it, looked at what they have done so far and what they want to add into it.

It looks ok to me. I am not expecting it to light the world on fire, but it is good to see a throwback every now and then.

10. danielrbischoff

Better get started on the bug-fixing Obsidian Kickstarter now.

11. drathbone

drathbone Regular

The stretch goal for money between $3.5 and $4 million if they hit 4m is to "Enhance the entire game". I assume this is what they meant =P

12. danielrbischoff

Haha, it's so easy to give Obsidian shit for glitchy games. Doesn't mean I'm any less excited about stuff like South Park.