Playing old consoles on a modern tv

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by used44, Aug 3, 2013.

1. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Doesn't it look so shitty and so awesome at the same time?

2. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

SD going in a HD TV, yeah it bothers the sh*t out of me. Can't really read text.

3. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

The oldest console I have hooked up is a ps2 and it uses a Svideo cable.

I don't have any issues.

4. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

If my 8-year-old self could see me playing Killer Instinct on a high definition 55" flat screen he would shit.

5. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Ps1 looks awful. N64 looks alright. NES and SNES for some reason look good to me.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Because the simpler the graphics are, the less of a mess everything appears.

Hence the reason the PS1 looks like shit while the SNES looks aight.

7. danielrbischoff

My classic games look pretty good on my LCD Samsung. Some of them are kind of washed out though. It doesn't really matter, if it plays well I'm happy with it and I don't think you could argue that the CRT display looks "better" but it definitely looks more like I remember it.

8. Sightless

Sightless Rookie

I haven't played PS1 on a very new tv yet, but NES, SNES, and N64 yes, for sure. It's really weird and sometimes gives me a headache? And I feel like I have to make sure I'm at a good distance to read the text smoothly. :p

9. Mobius_Sean

Mobius_Sean Rookie

I have my retro paradise upstairs hooked to a 27" tube in the office. With my L-shaped desk it makes taking game breaks in between homework grade-flatteningly easy. Ran the N64 downstairs to my 60" Sharp for the holidays for when family comes over, and it's not too bad.

However, playing old PS1 games on the PS3 thru hdmi doesn't look half-bad. And not just the PS Store ones. Symphony of the Night is a digital copy, and my Vagrant Story on disc still looks gorgeous. That game really used the Playstation's hardware to its utmost. It looks more "stylized" than "dated."

10. danielrbischoff

You have a phat PS3?

11. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Just was playing SNES tonight with my nephews. They were pretty fucking into it, but had very little patience for some of the cheap 'coin-eating' tactics of some of the crappier games.

That said, one of the most difficult games, Super Empire Strikes Back was still the biggest hit.

12. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

All PS3 models run PSone games.

13. danielrbischoff

I fucking hated those games.

14. Silios

Silios Rookie

15. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Me and my friends had a reminisce on N64 using our modern tv. My God, the polygons have never looked so clear! Playing Goldeneye was so hard too, was goldeneye always that hard?

16. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It's not that "classic" but I'm thinking about hooking up my Game Cube to my 40" Sony Bravia HD TV... I have a feeling it'll look awful though?

Any kind of cables or anything I could use to try and improve the picture and resolution?

17. danielrbischoff

There's not much you can do aside from spending a ton of money. They don't have an upscaler box for gaming do they? I thought there's such a thing for like DVD players to pass through, but I've never heard of it used for gaming.

18. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure. I've heard of upscalers or something... I remember once seeing footage of Super Smash Bros. Brawl being played in 1080p and it looked amazing.

If I could somehow hook up my Game Cube to my 40" full HD Sony Bravia and play at a higher resolution than the original thing, I would be amazed, but I'm not sure if it's possible - let alone if it is. I'd like to look into it.

19. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Most HDTVs have upscalers built into them but they are only so good. They are taking a lower resolution source and guessing how to make it higher definition.

You could hook your PC up to the tv and emulate the games in fully rendered 1080p(And sometimes better framerate)