Overrated and hate it!

pres50

Rookie
I still read reviews online, but I don't really take much from them anymore. The games that are coming out nowadays are getting praise because of their marketing, I swear. Reviewers used to be so brutal on games, and I loved it. I loved the way they critiqued the games flaws and also its high points, it just seems now that critics are set to a standard formula of games they have to review. This is nothing new I know but it is definitely a lot more prevalent these days due companies putting pressure on review sites with advertising and suits. Scarily enoughf though you'd think independent gamers like me or you would review the game honestly, but my god some people are just so oblivious to how cookie cutter the industry has become.

They simply don't care to say many honest things about the game just because they shelled out 60 bucks for it after reading a review on IGN or something saying its THE GAME OF THE YEAR. Why is it that every game that comes out now has an effing GOTY on it. Didn't that used to be a prestigious award? Now it is on like 5 different games a week at Wal-Mart. Is GOTY just a marketing tool these days? I can just imagine the publishers talking; ''Hey I bet this game will sell really good if we can figure out a loophole somewhere in the advertising contract to name it Game of the Year (just on the front of the box, upon further inspection they will find it was voted game of the year by Buttco, only thing is Buttco is owned by said game publisher. That's my rant.

I'm going to light a paper bag full of doggy doo on the next reviewer who says something is "the Citizen Kane of Gaming".

That's all I have to say about that.

Longo_2_guns said:
I'm going to light a paper bag full of doggy doo on the next reviewer who says something is "the Citizen Kane of Gaming".

Amen, critics these days are so dramatic, that they are literally referencing film and Theater. Super Mario Bros was not that. It was the beginning of video games as we know them...Then Hollywood came in and took over. (I'm not talking about the Mario movie lol)
Publishers are mainly to blame I'd say. Games don't make money from game play anymore, they make money from commercials.

pres50 said:
Longo_2_guns said:

Amen, critics these days are so dramatic, that they are literally referencing film and Theater. Super Mario Bros was not that. It was the beginning of video games as we know them...Then Hollywood came in and took over. (I'm not talking about the Mario movie lol)
Publishers are mainly to blame I'd say. Games don't make money from game play anymore, they make money from commercials.
But people need to understand that for a Citizen Kane like game to appear, it has to meet the same level of rewards and appreciation as when the film came out... Hated by the public and critics left and right, ruined the author's funds and also caused him to be black listed by Hollywood studios. People called it too pretentious and that its style was so unorthodox it would never catch on. Why it survived the test of time was thanks to underground film makers who kept the legacy intact as a reference for future films. Not because people put in millions of dollars into the production like people wrongfully believe Orson Welles died poor making peas commercials without any reward or recognition to his name during his lifetime. He took risks, faced the consequences and then died before he got recognize as a maker of works of art. He was inspired by a previous Risk taker, Jean Renoir who also faced the same consequences with his films and then Kubrick would be inspired by Welles to make his own films in the same style.

Therefore... if you want "The citizen Kane of games", you won't find it in the AAA industry that rehash the same style with a modern twist...

*queue longo throwing a bag of dog crap on everyone*

...but in the indie scene that is being judged as being too pretentious and not crowd pleasing enough for the masses according to the major publishers despite their risk taking and career ruining works.

In one word, if you think looking at Mario is the right way to make the game to end all games... you are doing it wrong.

Which is actually sort of my point. I first heard people calling the first Bioshock the Citizen Kane of gaming, and it's been said a bunch since then (especially this year).

Even then, I'm pretty sure that the Citizen Kane of gaming has already happened.

Everyone's taste is different. In the same way self-righteous snooty tumblr hipsters rant on and on about music and sleeper albums. Even in pop culture I'm sure people are still pissed that Bon Iver got new artist of the year over Skrillex (which was fucking bullshit) - but I'm sure there are some 8-bit junkies that think some Ouya game should be nominated for GOTY. And in all honesty, the Citizen Kane of gaming probably exists on that platform or has yet to be made on some handheld or something.

What was I saying?!..oh yea - Game Reviews are like political news articles. I only read from the sources that will probably share my opinion and there are definitely common themes in the writing. In the end, everyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot. If you are the type to be swayed by gaming marking - I'm sad to say you're probably swayed to movies by the promise of 3D!!! There are a lot of cookie cutter gaming sites that exist only to drive traffic to create money for the site. No genuine following, no real site generated content, and no presence. These are the equivalent of tabloids. The gaming industry is so wide open that its officially like the wild west now - no one knows what to do (publishing, reviewing, developing) and there are niches everywhere - so everyone is trying to capitalize. Favorable reviews mean free shit in the future. I like the moral high ground you are taking, but sadly you are probably alone.

pres50 said:

This, I harbor a secret hate for products that rely too heavily on ads/commercials. Sad to say but Money talks - hopefully Kickstarter and many other independent campaign platforms will have the power to change this paradigm... if only more people would contribute to things they want and stop following fashion and gimmicks in gaming this trend would stop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod