Ouya

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
My personal Ouya just arrived, I've had one for some time though. I'm opening this thread to see if GR would be receptive to starting a "Mobile/iOS platform" thread. Has it gotten enough traction in the industry to warrant one?

UrbanMasque said:
My personal Ouya just arrived, I've had one for some time though. I'm opening this thread to see if GR would be receptive to starting a "Mobile/iOS platform" thread. Has it gotten enough traction in the industry to warrant one?

Thread or forum? Thread, yes. Forum no. Enough traction in the mobile world but not enough interest/users here for a forum to really have any legs to stand on.

The thing about most mobile/indie games is that they haven't really stepped outside of the realm of "fun, simple flash game". A few of them have actual stories and such, but they're basically still at a level weaker than games for the Gameboy.

Yea, a lot of the games are hit or miss on this thing and 50% wont let you progress further without buying "the full game", but there are definitely some gems with great graphics, cool characters and stories, and fun gameplay.

I acknowledge it as a "mobile" device because of its OS, but the fact that its hardware specifically dedicated to gaming - I consider it a console. I just hope people give it a chance to succeed by making good games for it.

UrbanMasque said:
Yea, a lot of the games are hit or miss on this thing and 50% wont let you progress further without buying "the full game", but there are definitely some gems with great graphics, cool characters and stories, and fun gameplay.

I acknowledge it as a "mobile" device because of its OS, but the fact that its hardware specifically dedicated to gaming - I consider it a console. I just hope people give it a chance to succeed by making good games for it.

I'll likely get one just for emulation. Is the original Goldeneye on there?

UrbanMasque said:
No theres a PS emu, NES, and Gameboy, but no N64.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before a Genesis, SNES and N64 one show up. PS and NES are enough for me though. Gameboy too I suppose. I want a Game Gear emulator!

UrbanMasque said:
No theres a PS emu, NES, and Gameboy, but no N64.
Sideloading. N64 emulation works damn near 100% on the Ouya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaQcXnBF60
PPSSPP got updated just after he made that review, btw, so now PSP games tend to work much better.

Personally, i'm not interested in the Ouya because of a mixture of my Xperia Play (PS1 and down + android games) and my PC (PS2, Gamecube, PSP, etc). I still think it's pretty good, though, and for the price it has damn fast hardware. And mobile gaming doesn't have to be all modified flash game shit. Good example is Final Fantasy 3, which is a DS port, yes, but still good. Also, The Bard's Tale.

One day. One day Sony will stop being a bunch of fuckwits and actually release an Xperia Play 2.
One day...

How bad is the fan noise in these things? Besides emulation, I'm also interested in using an Ouya as a low-end HTPC & for torrenting. I got kind of turned-off when I saw the fan inside though.

It is running well, just there aren't any real "WOW" games, but I don't think they're will be. I thought Target & Best Buy would be carrying it. Dunno where I heard that though.

If you had a party and wanted to play something simple w/ friends this would be cool. Would've been great for the Video Game Fan Fest, tons of types of games (including a drinking game). Plus most of your andriod apps can be placed onto the ouya. Netflix, Soundcloud, Vimeo, and other video stuff (including UStream) - so I'm happy about that. Still trying to convince our product guys that there is value in making an app for this device.

I haven't noticed any fan noise on mine. No audio out through USB though, but I'd imagine some hack/fix will be coming out soon to remedy that. Also, ONLY HDMI, if you try to do an HDMI to DVi like most computer screens have it will not translate well. Hopefully something comes out to remedy this as well.

For $99 bucks, not bad.

It's designed to be run through a TV, of which they've all had HDMI since 2006, that's why they didn't include anything else.

^ Yea I totally get that - but the big push with this thing was its "hackability", so they shouldve planned for that. Not a big deal though - I'm sure there is a way to get it working, but no one has an idea yet.

I wish it had more than one USB port though. also, ps3 controller works with it - just gotta figure out which button does what.

UrbanMasque said:
^ Yea I totally get that - but the big push with this thing was its "hackability", so they shouldve planned for that. Not a big deal though - I'm sure there is a way to get it working, but no one has an idea yet.

I wish it had more than one USB port though. also, ps3 controller works with it - just gotta figure out which button does what.
I wonder if those little portable USB video cards would work with it. That might help out when trying to run it through a monitor.

And yeah, another USB port would be useful. Specifically, i'd pay another $5-10 if it had a USB3 port on the front of it.

UrbanMasque said:
Just a warning, 60% of the games will cost you some additional $$$ to play.

Fair call. Are the games expensive? What would you say a typical game may cost?

Master_Craig said:
I might pick up an Ouya if I ever see it available in retail here in Australia.
They'll probably up the price, man. Better off just picking one up for $100 off amazon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod