Orchestra tunes

Haha Penguin Cafe...

I'm not into orchestra, showwy buddy.

I can recommend powerful epic songs EG Preliator by Globus. Immediate Music do a load of cool stuff too. "Sons of War" by Two Steps from hell.
I like the epic stuff, not the nice stuff!

Since I'm not at my house, I'm just going off the top of my head, but anything by Gustav Mahler is pretty awesome particularly his Symphony No.2 in C Minor. Also Gustav Holst has some pretty great pieces all of the Planet pieces in particular with Jupiter being my favorite. And one of the best American composers IMO is Aaron Copland with some pretty good pieces (Appalachian Spring is one but couldn't find a good full recording). Tender Land is actually written as an opera by him but The Promise of Living is the best part of the entire opera, and this should be just the orchestral version. I played this in my university's symphonic band last year and loved it as well.

I don't know if the quality of the stuff I linked from Youtube is that good since I have my speakers muted, but it's a general idea. And there's tons and tons of good stuff out there...just start looking.

Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin is a favorite of mine, as well as Mars from the Holst Planet pieces. There's a lot of others but I don't remember their names so I'll have to look them up.

Matt, I figured if I didn't get any responses I'd at least make someone laugh with the name Penguin Cafe :D

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm digging Gustav Mahler a lot Lattern!

Wicked, I'm actually a music composition major, so I have to do a lot of listening to orchestral pieces. Personally much of my favorite orchestral music comes from movies, but I do listen to a lot of classical too.

Some of my classical favorites include:
Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner
Dvorak's Symphony Number 9 "From the New World" is pretty well known and is great. Especially movement number 4.
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

From movies:
Gladiator - Even though Hans Zimmer tends to lack originality, this is a great soundtrack
The Lord of the Rings - My favorite is the first one, but all 3 movies have great music by Howard Shore
Star Wars is almost always a safe bet. All the movies have good music.
The Band Of Brothers soundtrack is phenomenal.
Gods and Generals has good music too. Awful movie, but good music.

I downloaded some Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time orchestral version which are, obviously, awesome.

Also, the Goldberg variations, performed by Glenn Gould. Fun Fact: Listening to those variations while studying while help you remember better. Tis true.

NickKmet said:
Wicked, I'm actually a music composition major, so I have to do a lot of listening to orchestral pieces. Personally much of my favorite orchestral music comes from movies, but I do listen to a lot of classical too.

Some of my classical favorites include:
Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner
Dvorak's Symphony Number 9 "From the New World" is pretty well known and is great. Especially movement number 4.
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

From movies:
Gladiator - Even though Hans Zimmer tends to lack originality, this is a great soundtrack
The Lord of the Rings - My favorite is the first one, but all 3 movies have great music by Howard Shore
Star Wars is almost always a safe bet. All the movies have good music.
The Band Of Brothers soundtrack is phenomenal.
Gods and Generals has good music too. Awful movie, but good music.

I would like to add Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer. The score was just awesome for this film, along with Inception.

Metal Gear Solid (especially the 1st and 4th) are a great listen too.

All of the medal of honor games had great soundtracks by Michael Giacchino too (he's the guy who did the new Star Trek, won an oscar for Up). They're kind of hard to come by though. Only limited runs of the CDs were done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Playnft