No-Nonsensical First Person Shooters

Cali

Rookie
It seems that the FPS genre is either one of two things: A World War II tactical shooter, or a horror game. In all honesty I used to like those ideas, but I can only take those in spoonfuls now. I like my shooters no-nonsensical and explosive.

Anybody remember the days of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D? There wasn't a complicated story or tedious mission objectives. You went in, kicked ass, found the red key card, kicked more ass, found an awesome weapon, kicked ass with it, found the blue key, and ended the level. In the meantime, they found ways to spice the experience up with interactive environments, secret levels, and other stuff (strippers).

Hopefully F.E.A.R. 2 will bring some of this back. I enjoy squad based tactical shooters but dislike it when they're oversaturating the market. Bring back my BFG 9000!

Try Painkiller or Serious Sam if you are bored right now and can't wait for F.E.A.R. 2 to come out, they are both really fun and different from your avarage WW2 horror survival FPS.

Peanutkiller said:
Try Painkiller or Serious Sam if you are bored right now and can't wait for F.E.A.R. 2 to come out, they are both really fun and different from your avarage WW2 horror survival FPS.

Also, they cost near to nothing at the moment

I got The Ship, which consists of a bunch of people on a cruise ship who all have to kill each other with whatever they can find. It is pretty fun.

Frontlines was pretty good for the price I payed for it. (€7 for the steelbook version on pc)

It's repetitive and annoying, but it's fun for a quick bout of killing.

You can't get more nonsensical than Postal 2. And the fact that you can get it for 10 cents and a lollypop nowadays is a big plus.

Don't get frontlines. One of the biggest wastes of 30 bucks ever... and it was used.

Actually, you should try Battlefront. It's 3rd person, like Gears, but fun nonetheless. Or Fallout 3. If you keep to the 1st person, which is nearly always best (I can't stand playing in 3rd unless I need to), it would make a great FPS.

Or.. (sigh..) Halo. The first one. Rent.

keepithowitis said:
Actually, you should try Battlefront. It's 3rd person, like Gears, but fun nonetheless.

ACTUALLY you can set it up for First Person, which I feel is far more fun.

Plus you can slaughter Ewoks. And Gungans!

Painkiller. Fast paced like Unreal Tournament and just all about shooting shit. It's fun stuff. Max Payne is never boring for me, and I'm sure it is inexpensive now. That's what I play to get my dose of just shooting shit.

Trippysmurf said:
There is always Star Wars Battlefront 1+2, but those have a bit more tactical aspects to them.

Tactical? no, no tacticallitly in battlefront. I play it all the time still. the only "tactical" part is command posts.

JCD said:
Frontlines was pretty good for the price I payed for it. (€7 for the steelbook version on pc)

It's repetitive and annoying, but it's fun for a quick bout of killing.

Agreed, i honestly don't play it much, but Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 were bother great FPS games. Plus it's not like Halo where you're just running out in the open, In RBV and RBV2 you need a little more strategic moves and you have to be cautious much more too

lokness said:
Tykk said:
You can't get more nonsensical than Postal 2.

Oh god i love that game. I remember playing multilayer at a lan, i really need to get me a copy.

Any game where you can drench innocent bystanders in gasoline and throw a match their way is love worthy in my book.

Wanna buy my copy? I take sexual favors as payment :roll:

i dont care what anyone says, halo is a very good FPS. it may be "cool" nowadays to hate on it, but i enjoy halo. all 3 of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle