New controls for old games

My experience with cheap control death usually comes when I play a certain game for awhile, then start playig a similar game with slightly different controls. For example, playing a first-person perspective game like Half Life 2, then start playing some other shooter where the jump button may be different, or the reload method is different. Even third person games where the analog camera controls are inverted can be a hassle at first.

Also, the controls of NCAA football and Madden are getting more and more like eacother, but back in the day the controls were so drastically different that you would play NCAA for a few months until Madden came out, then have to untrain yourself from the NCAA controls and relearn the Madden way of playing football.

i got used to it, that doesnt mean its better, i wish they would have had the option for the classic style but it worked

Final Fantasy 12 messed everything up for me. The horizontal movement was inverted and this messed me up in FPS and other games forever. Press the analog stick right and you turn left??? Crazy world, that Final Fantasy.

It took me a few tries to get used to the Halo 3 controls, but then it became second nature real quick.

It's like any game. Once you master them, you are more fluid in the controls and you have stronger hand eye coordination.

Thats with every game too, if you think about it.

grandmagoodtimes said:
Final Fantasy 12 messed everything up for me. The horizontal movement was inverted and this messed me up in FPS and other games forever. Press the analog stick right and you turn left??? Crazy world, that Final Fantasy.

Actually, the horizontal movement was the normal part. At least I've experienced it being like that in most games, including Wind Waker, Kingdom Hearts 2, the Jak games, etc. The idea is that you're controlling the camera, and so if you press right, the camera moves right.

But the thing that got on my nerves in FF XII was that pressing up and down on the analog stick made the opposite move of all those other games I've mentioned (since they follow the routine of "moving down on the stick makes the camera go down" (and closer)). Took me hours getting used to it not being like this. And then when going back to those other games, I then have to spend time re-readjusting. And they didn't even have an option to invert this, the bastards. Grrr...

used44 said:
My experience with cheap control death usually comes when I play a certain game for awhile, then start playig a similar game with slightly different controls. For example, playing a first-person perspective game like Half Life 2, then start playing some other shooter where the jump button may be different, or the reload method is different. Even third person games where the analog camera controls are inverted can be a hassle at first.

Also, the controls of NCAA football and Madden are getting more and more like eacother, but back in the day the controls were so drastically different that you would play NCAA for a few months until Madden came out, then have to untrain yourself from the NCAA controls and relearn the Madden way of playing football.
Going from the NHL series to the 2K hockey series and vice versa proves to be incredibly annoying. All sports games essentially do that though, even ones from the same series. It seems every year a sport game adds new options for controls so quite naturally the mapping of the control scheme has to change. It usually only takes a couple of games to break in though. As for Halo 3, i haven't had much trouble reloading (albeit i played the pc versions mostly =p).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod