mother f*cking Game of Thrones

Icepick

Rookie
I'm surprised I haven't seen a topic on this, or there is one and I can't bother looking far back enough for it.

Anyone watch the series? Read the books? I'm just about to start the 4th in the series, pretty good read so far. Thoughts? Opinions? Desires to stick it in Sansa Stark's pooper?

I don't read the books, but the series is probably the best show ever. Seriously, it's basically flawless. And I watch most of it with my brother (who is caught up on the books) and he says it's basically exactly as the book is. The only thing they mess around with is the order of some scenes, but it hasn't been so out of whack to piss anybody off.

They plan on keeping it exactly like the books, to the point where George R.R. Martin told the producers how it ends in case he dies before finishing the last book.

Rakon said:
I don't read the books, but the series is probably the best show ever. Seriously, it's basically flawless. And I watch most of it with my brother (who is caught up on the books) and he says it's basically exactly as the book is. The only thing they mess around with is the order of some scenes, but it hasn't been so out of whack to piss anybody off.

They plan on keeping it exactly like the books, to the point where George R.R. Martin told the producers how it ends in case he dies before finishing the last book.

there are enough differences between the books and the show that I prefer the books, but nothing major to be sure. But by far, best use of character development, no ones truly evil, or truly pure in the series, and despite all the fantasy content, it's managed to stay grounded in some variety of reality

Saw season 1 and loved it. Missed season 2. Just bought it on blu ray yesterday for 29 bucks (awesome deal). Can't wait to get caught up!

I was a big fat stupid head and read up on characters during season 1 and pretty much spoiled most of their fates...Oh and I also read ahead to other books. Thankfully I forgot *some* of it. SPOILER: Basically, it feels like anyone you like dies.

Read the first book and part of the second, then said fuck it all and just began watching the HBO series instead. The books are great but FUUUUCK .... it's a lot of detail into the houses of each character... "Nedard, of castle Grey, who had once fought Clingus, the mighty Balthor wearing his family crest, the sparrow of Neverwind, donned in colors blue and white, son of Herindore, the once great king of all lands back in times of old," and this is what you have to go through every time a new character is introduced, and there's easily over 1,000 characters! It's just too much, man. Anyway, I love it.

Optimus-Crime said:
Read the first book and part of the second, then said fuck it all and just began watching the HBO series instead. The books are great but FUUUUCK .... it's a lot of detail into the houses of each character... "Nedard, of castle Grey, who had once fought Clingus, the mighty Balthor wearing his family crest, the sparrow of Neverwind, donned in colors blue and white, son of Herindore, the once great king of all lands back in times of old," and this is what you have to go through every time a new character is introduced, and there's easily over 1,000 characters! It's just too much, man. Anyway, I love it.

I nearly ripped my hair out during the first tournament when they literally drop 30 new people on you "And ser Dondarrion with his flaming scabbard looked to Ser Slynt of the bloody targe spear emblazoned on a field of azure as he took up arms against Rodrik Cassel and House Tyrell while all 23 members of house highgarden and tyrell sat patiently waiting"

There's a point you give up trying and just assume everyone is either a whore or a knight, or about to die, and with it flipping constantly between Kings Landing, the wall, and the land across the narrow sea, it's a lot of shit to keep track of, but at the same time yo never feel fatigue from the story because it switches around so much, one minute you're in Quarth, the next Dragonstone, then winterfell, the north, back to Kingslanding, a few chapters in the Vale, than back to the free cities, it wasn't until half way through did I realize two of the characters worlds away were related

Oh yeah, I enjoyed ever minute of it, up until i got to the 2nd book where the Stark's mother goes to see Robert Baratheon's brother... her chapters were laame!

Optimus-Crime said:
Oh yeah, I enjoyed ever minute of it, up until i got to the 2nd book where the Stark's mother goes to see Robert Baratheon's brother... her chapters were laame!

hers do get better in all honesty, when her and the beauty ally up, right now I'm a bit tired of reading about Bran

oh damn, saw that they teamed up on the tv series, and I just know the books kill the tv show in that department. That's when I'm all about the extra detail.

Rakon said:
I don't read the books, but the series is probably the best show ever. Seriously, it's basically flawless.

Disagree.

Ever since 2011 when the show premiered, I've been hearing about how Indisputably Great the show is. I watched the first season on DVD and was disappointed to find it merely only Very Good.

I think a large part of the disappointment came from the hype it gathered on virtually every online community out there. From what I had heard, I was expecting a viewing experience along the lines of MURDER! BATTLE! WHORES! MAYHEM! BEHEADING! ANOTHER BEHEADING! MORE WHORES! DRAGONS! Instead, I got talk, talk, talk, talk, whores, talk, talk, talk, beheading, whores, talk, talk, offscreen battle, talk, talk...
(Not that there's anything wrong with that. The Wire gets my vote for best show out there, and that has to be at least 85% talking. Hell, In face, "The Wire, but with knights and barbarians instead of cops and drug dealers" sums up the show pretty well.) And the thing is, I don't even consider it the show's fault. It's the internet's fault. Oh well.

Now, keep in mind I have only seen Season 1. Will I be watching Season 2 and subsequent seasons as they become available on DVD? Yes, I will. But will I approach them with cautious optimism rather GREATEST SHOW EVER? Yes, I will.

GiftedMonkey said:
And the thing is, I don't even consider it the show's fault. It's the internet's fault. Oh well.
That applies to everything. If you can enjoy it for what it is and not for what people say it is, you'll find it to be fucking awesome.

Optimus-Crime said:
GiftedMonkey said:
And the thing is, I don't even consider it the show's fault. It's the internet's fault. Oh well.
That applies to everything. If you can enjoy it for what it is and not for what people say it is, you'll find it to be fucking awesome.

Ah, but if I enjoyed it for what it is, I would have finished it, said "That was very good, I will get a hold of season 2 when it becomes available," and then proceed to eat half a sleeve of cookies while staring at the toaster oven.

If you're watching nerd-friendly, serialized TV shows and not going on the internet to gush/bitch about them to strangers, you're doing it wrong.

:wink:

Hey, I hear ya, trust me I do. Avengers sucked balls and that last Batman was even worse, but I say anything about it and suddenly I'm the ostracized weird one. It's not flawless, but it's not bad, either. Those are two extreme ends of the pendulum, but fuck it, that's how we roll.

Im on book 3...I need to finish it though.

to be honest the series is getting a bit convoluted and honestly, annoying as it goes on. A lot less interesting after book 2.

I also hear the fifth book is pretty bad as well, so I don't know if there is any credence to that or not.

LinksOcarina said:
Im on book 3...I need to finish it though.

to be honest the series is getting a bit convoluted and honestly, annoying as it goes on. A lot less interesting after book 2.

I also hear the fifth book is pretty bad as well, so I don't know if there is any credence to that or not.

See I had that feeling by the end of book 2, I prefer book 3 a lot more

I'm halfway book 3, Links stop being a faggot and read Storm of Swords, shit gets pretty intense in the last 3rd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod