man what happened to pro wrestling

segageek

Regular
Seriously i remember it being really poppular now no one ever watches it. and then i sawe raw and i can see why. any wrestling fans left?

As someone who has been within spitting distance of Hulk Hogan, Sting and Kevin Nash. I can honestly say there are other things I could have done with that time.

But at the same time, I recently had a talk with a friend about how shows like the Bachelor or no better than pro wrestling. So pick your poison, eh?

My uncle would take a younger me to see the Von Erichs wrassle in the Sportatorium.
Then Dustin Runnels (Goldust) hit on his soon-to-be wife while he was in the bathroom.

So yeah, I watch.
29vcqyq.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kValaG55kUk&t=0m54s

i still watch Raw, but only on dvr so i can skip past most of the horrible comedy skits they insist on doing nowadays. this PG era of programming hasnt been doing them any favors either. there's also the reluctance to adequately push younger and newer talent, with a few exceptions; it is refreshing to see guys like Miz and Del Rio on top right now.

one thing i noticed was last week when the Rock came back to raw. he had not been in a WWE ring in seven years, but was instantly more over and entertaining that any other single superstar on the roster. kinda says a lot about the state of talent building.

I did see glimmers of hope during the last few episodes between CM Punk's bleeding all over the ring and the Rock's and Cena's decidedly un-PG promos. also guys that can really work a match (daniel bryan) need more than 6 minutes of tv time to perform.

i can probably knock off a few more bulletpoints, but im tired from work and hungry. if anyone else picks up what im putting down, we'll continue this discussion tomorrow.

Paradox, my brother insists on watching every Monday night, and since we don't have doors or walls down here, I overhear a lot. Let me tell ya, WWE is probably the most poorly staged, overly-dramatic show I've seen since Yu-Gi-Oh. It's a soap opera for gay men. Think about it. Big, sweaty guys in briefs? Tears? Most of it is just them yelling at each other. And every single argument is the same. The guy everyone hates starts shootin' his mouth off, then the guy everyone likes appears and says "I WILL FACE YOU!!!"

Technically, there's nothing wrong with it if you're a sensitive, yet somewhat manly homosexual, so if that's the case, then I won't blame you for watching. It's still bad acting, though.

There's nothing more polarizing than the "Who watches Wrestling" topic. I stream the ppvs so it's not hard keeping up with the shows.
Yeah, the Rock comes back and cuts a 5 star promo without breaking a sweat, but SmackDown is the better show imo. I'm hoping the future will look more like CM Punk and not John Cena. Why they decided to push that guy to the moon is beyond me. Any top babyface could sell the same amount of merchandise as this hack job.

ADR is the shit. JoMo is finally getting over. I could see JoMo replacing Cena eventually... but he needs to BLEED. All the best have bled. He's definitely got the talent, but there's a portion of the audience who won't back him until he survives a war.
2ikbpms.jpg

His Royal Rumble jump to the railing, back to the ring was just freaking ridiculous. I watched the Elimination Chamber too, but it kinda sucked.

De-ting: fuck you.

I hear what you're saying Chris. I too would like to see cm punk get pushed to the moon. He's currently the best heel since Batista was at the end of his run.

Morrison is awesome, but the company would really have to get behind him. Honestly I don't see him moving last upper-mid card unless the injury bug bites a couple of the main-eventers.

Cena will remain the top guy for the forseeable future for a number of reasons: he is the top draw for their current key demographic, that relates directly to his merchandise being the top seller. He's also a workhorse with little life other than the company. Whatever needs to be done publicity-wise or whatever, he's the go-to guy. The Miz is the same way, so he got pushed as a top heel. I'd love to see Cena go back to his heelish ways, but until his merch sales drop, that will never happen.

I usually understand how someone can be interested in something despite how much I may be disgusted by it, or just not care for it. But professional wrestling I could never wrap my head around.

I always thought if I was put in charge of cleansing the population for a brighter future, I would start by exterminating all pro wrestling fans, and performers.

Except for dwayne johnson, chris_crime, and paradox.

intoTheRain said:
I always thought if I was put in charge of cleansing the population for a brighter future, I would start by exterminating all pro wrestling fans, and performers.

Except for dwayne johnson, chris_crime, and paradox.
Got me a new quote for mah sig...

Nevermind. Won't let me...cleared my cache and everything. I blame wrestling.

Wrestling will always be one of those things where you either get it and you understand how the business works...or you don't.

For the most part, wrestling is a kids show. It's always had mature moments but is fueled by youth, since that's where the money is, even more so nowadays. I loved it growing up but dont watch anymore. My young cousins love watching it now but I'm sure they'll grow out of it someday. I fully expect my son to one day start watching it, at which point I will probably pay attention to it again.

Also, it is a lot like Saturday Night Live, in the way that it peaks and valleys in terms of popularity. The right talent has to hit at the right time.

Paradox said:
Wrestling will always be one of those things where you either get it and you understand how the business works...or you don't.
Which is funny, because if you get it and you understand how the business works, you don't watch it.

^Then it's more like Religion? So says CM Punk anyhow.

People associate wrestling as redneck wrasslin'.. or the WWE product, and both are understandable. Wrestling shares its roots with the carny folk after all. But it's very much considered a sport in Japan and Mexico. Canada, too.
which brings me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5k2XVKxznc
CMLL's Mí­stico has signed with the WWE
1298628323726.jpg

and he won't have to take off the mask like Dos Caras, Jr. had to, though I'm glad Dos Caras, Jr. did. The ADR character es perfecto.

daverabbit said:
Also, it is a lot like Saturday Night Live, in the way that it peaks and valleys in terms of popularity. The right talent has to hit at the right time.
While I can agree with this, lots of fans find the right talent on the independent scene. It's not like that backyard wrestling stuff from the 90s either, there are full-fledged, deep roster'd promotions running independently and turning a profit right now. The Internet was finally good for something.

As an adult, one of the best parts of being a fan is that you get to derp it up with other wrestling fans. Everyone around you gets it. It's a weird brotherhood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle