J.D Salinger has just passed away.

GRColin

Rookie
J.D Salinger, author of "The Catcher in the Rye" passed away today at the age of 91. He died of natural causes.

Salinger became famous for "Catcher in the Rye" and it's themes of alienation and cynicism told from the viewpoint of a 16 year old prep school drop out.

This is an unfortunate passing for the literary world and for us. Catcher in the Rye alone has over 65 million worldwide sales.

That's sad and all, but really, Catcher in the Rye sucked. It's an annoying guy talking about how lonely and depressed he is. FOR 250 PAGES.

H.C. was 16. Also, this book was written in the early 20th century. H.C. was Rock and Roll before Rock and Roll, punk before punk, Emo before Emo. Salinger's character established a generation that would spawn James Dean and Brando movies and Elvis.

Pretty fucking impressive if you ask me.

StalfrosCC said:
H.C. was 16. Also, this book was written in the early 20th century. H.C. was Rock and Roll before Rock and Roll, punk before punk, Emo before Emo. Salinger's character established a generation that would spawn James Dean and Brando movies and Elvis.

Pretty f****** impressive if you ask me.

But he's still way to depressive as a character though. :(

StalfrosCC said:

Pretty f****** impressive if you ask me.

Agreed. I was going to mention that after the naysayers said the book was lame. It was relatively unheard for there to be such a cynical, negative, spiteful teenage character as the main focal point back then was it not?

Funny though, I remembered him as being 17. No idea why.

StalfrosCC said:
Um... do you remember being 16? Or have you been 16 yet? It can be pretty depressing.

I've just turned 18 and I remember being 16 very well. And I can't draw a parallel to Holden and my past life how much I try. How the hell he the world he lived so full of douchebags, phonies, idiots etc. etc. And how everything is bad and how everybody just pretends (though he also does that - hypocrite?) blah, blah, blah.

He seems like the early Sasuke for me. >.>

Edit: Blah - didn't read well. You said it can be depressing ... this I agree on. But, I just can't relate to him. Though I do understand him in a way. :)

Also, Holden was still suffering from the death of his brother.

Sad stuff. Howard Zinn died yesterday, J.D. Salinger died today...This is like the Great Celebrity Die-Off of July aught-nine, but you know...this time it affects literate people instead of people who spend too much time watching TV.

Finally. John Lennon would still be alive if it weren't for Salinger.

I kid. H.C. ain't nothin' special today because what was once original is now unoriginal.

Also, special recognition to the Zinn Master. Dude was a great guy. I knew him personally. OK, I didn't, but I still liked him.

I haven't read the book in 12 years, but I still feel it has great lesson (even though I disagree with the personal decisions of Holden). In fact one of the major themes in the book is how we can judge others on faults that we ourselves have. And it works because everyone does it. And I wouldn't call it depressing...the best way I could describe the book is "insecure". Who hasn't felt insecure at that stage in life, how many of us find faults in others to hide our own, run away from those who can help us, or make awful decisions that only further hurt us?

And I really have to agree with Stal and Leth, this kid was supposed to be an outcast. He did things that were unheard of at the time and that's why the book was banned so much back in the day, whereas now I guess he's just another "Sasuke" (whoever that is).

Not my favorite book or author, but enjoyable and to a point insightful.

One of the greatest author we ever had and the one that changed america's view on the youth, changed my life with catcher in the rye at 14 and influence me whenever i felt lonely or sad. Laugh it or not but i actually cried this morning.

January 1, 1919 – January 27, 2010
J. D. Salinger
R.I.P

Howard Zinn made me a communist, there i said it! Seriously, I've joined the young french communist party back in Paris in '95 because of him and never walked in a macdonald ever since, years before supersized me. I liked his book, i even read his comic book version and i actually saw him speak at my college in the U.S. He's way more fun in real life, trust me... i meant was...

August 24, 1922 – January 27, 2010
Howard Zinn
R.I.P

i read that jd salinger wrote a short story about one of the characters in the book, allie, which is only available at, i think, princeton and wont be published until 50 years after his death for some reason and the only way to read it now is to present two forms of ID and go into a room where there is a guard watching you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod