Is there life on MAAAAAAAARSSSSSS

WickedLiquid

Regular
R.I.P. David Bowie

25 albums later he died of cancer at the age of 69. Everyone share your favorite Bowie track. Mine is (obviously) Life on Mars.

My favorite Bowie song: The Man Who Sold The World.

When Nirvana hit it big in the early 90s, I was kinda 'meh' towards them. I didn't dislike them really, but I didn't usually listen to one of thier albums unless a friend put it on. Then one day, a buddy played the Nirvana Unplugged CD and I heard them do The Man Who Sold The World. I was like l, 'Hey, this is different than thier usual stuff, I like this.'.

While I'd always heard his name, it wasn't until a little later than I really found out who Bowie was and heard his superior version of 'The Man...'. All these songs I'd heard growing up like Golden Years, Heroes, China Girl (probably my second fav) just clicked. I was like, hey it's that dude from Labyrinth and he does all this cool music I like.

He's always been near the top of my list of concerts to go to (even though he hadn't toured in years). I'd always hoped to see him live. Most musicians, if they die, I'm like, hmm that sucks. With Bowie though, it kinda hit me in the feels. I'm just grateful he gave us decades of music and entertainment to remember him by.

Here's Lazarus from the Blackstar album that just came out. Watch that. He knew the end was coming. It feels like a farewell.

2015-01-14-bowiehair.gif

If you haven't heard Chris Hadfield's version of Space Oddity, I highly recommend it. It was done while he was on the ISS. http://youtu.be/KaOC9danxNo

Bowie is one of those musicians that transcends time and genres and about any other label you can put on someone. Heroes may be one of the best written songs of all time, Rebel Rebel might have one of the best guitar riffs as well. Just about everything about Bowie is great.

Whenever I think of David Bowie, I always get White Wedding in my head.

Love that song! It's one of those songs that just makes my foot tap to the beat involuntarily!

I've been hearing on the radio some speeches he did, for EG he did one to some graduates at a university in 1999, and he genuinely sounds like a top bloke - RIP Bowie.

Aw fuck, I'm still jetlagged - that's my excuse.

Ok, yeah RIP Billy Idol.

MattAY said:
Whenever I think of David Bowie, I always get White Wedding in my head.

Love that song! It's one of those songs that just makes my foot tap to the beat involuntarily!

giphy.gif

Never told anyone this before, but he influenced the title character in my book, specifically his role as Jareth.

How many more people will die before I finish this thing?

Probably Rock & Roll Suicide or Space Oddity. Really hard to pick just one and he still is one of my favorite artists.

De-Ting said:
Never told anyone this before, but he influenced the title character in my book, specifically his role as Jareth.

So...is there any way you can weave Kanye and Justin Beiber into your book?

Paradox said:
De-Ting said:

So...is there any way you can weave Kanye and Justin Beiber into your book?
270.gif

I grew up with him being the Goblin King and moved on to him being Nikolai Tesla. Sadly i don't know his music in depth but I enjoy the hell out of Changes. I remembered my mom just throwing on a record of his and you could listen to the whole thing.

In 1978 I did my first tour of Europe as "stunt" guitarist and singer for Frank Zappa's band. The night we played in Cologne, Germany unbeknownst to me Brian Eno was in the audience. Brian knew David Bowie was looking for a new guitarist for his upcoming tour. He called David after seeing our show and told David he should come see the guitarist for Frank's band.

The next night we performed in Berlin. There was a part of the show where Frank took an extended guitar solo and most of the band members, including myself, left the stage for a few minutes. As I walked to the back of the stage I looked over at the monitor mixing board and saw David Bowie and Iggy Pop standing there.
Wow! I couldn't believe it!

So I walked over to David Bowie, shook his hand and said, "I love what you've done, thank you for all the music". And he said, "Great, how would you like to be in my band?" I motioned back towards Frank and said, "Well, I'm kind of playing with that guy." David laughed and said, "Yes, I know, but when Frank's tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?"

David said he would meet me back at our hotel and sure enough when I arrived back at the hotel David Bowie and his assistant Coco Schwab were sitting on a couch in the lobby. As I walked past them they whispered to me, "Get into the elevator, go up to your room, come back down in a few minutes, and meet us outside. We have a car waiting."
It was like something out of a spy film.

When I came back down and went outside there was a black limousine waiting. The driver opened the door and I got in the back with David and Coco. David immediately launched into all this plans for his upcoming tour, the songs we would play, the staging, and so on, and how much he loved my guitar playing! It was so exciting! He said they were taking me to one of his favorite restaurants in Berlin.

How many restaurants are there in Berlin? 25,000?

We arrived at the restaurant, went in the front door, and who should be sitting at the very first table but Frank Zappa and the rest of the band! So the three of us sat down with Frank and the band. David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, "Quite a guitar player you have here Frank."
And Frank said, "F••• you Captain Tom."
(note: Frank had demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.)
David persisted, "Oh come on now Frank, surely we can be gentleman about this?"
Frank said, "F••• you Captain Tom."
By this point I was paralyzed. David said, "So you really have nothing to say?" Frank said, "F••• you Captain Tom."

David and Coco and I got up and went back out the front door. Getting in the limo David said in his wonderfully British way, "I thought that went rather nicely!"

- Adrian Belew on Bowie stealing him from Frank Zappa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod