Is Resident Evil losing it's touch?

Bloodletter

Rookie
In new Resident Evil games there are no zombies to be found. In my opinion Capcom is losing its touch in RE games. Zombies, lickers and hunters were the main thing about the game. Now that they are gone, is RE going to be better or worse? :?:

Resident Evil has lost its touch years ago. This is nothing new if you ask me. Hell, the games have gone from Survival Horror to a more action shooter in the past few years anyway. That is the direction they want to go, let them. It's such an old series now it will still sell.

Granted that resident evil has been changing over the last few years, but that is not a bad thing. RE4 was an amazing game and deserved all of the A's and 10's that it received.

The changes are all for the better. some purest cry foul, stating that RE is loosing touch with it's horror roots and is becoming an action game. The only aspect in which i agree with this line of thought is that there are a lot more (and bigger) guns in the new resident evils and more ammo.

This kind of takes out some of the "survival" aspect of the game but the way i see it the series has grown exponentially since it's first game. The first game took place in a mansion with a handful of people vs a few bosses a houseful of zombies.

In the later games the T virus has spread rampantly, it is no long just an infected house, now we are talking cities worth of infected. To combat this new threat you can't keep just going at it with a pistol/ shotgun.

Another reason people are calling it a shooter now is the control mechanic. Trust me the fact that they got rid of the "tank" controls of the ond games is a blessing. It's still the same move/shoot mechanic just updated to be more accessible, less clunky and more realistic. The fact that your character was horrid to control is what made the old games tense, you could not aim at shit.

As for the disappearance of zombies this is a little sad, but honestly, how many games can you shoot slow moving staggering zombies and feel satisfied? where is the suspense/ danger in that?
That's why we got these different "infected" now. the ramp up the suspense and keep the thrills coming. Trying to reload your pistol while some guy runs at you with giant hook hands is way scarier than staggering zombies.

Oh and back on the guns topic, don't forget the first few RE's had grenade launchers, missile launchers, flamethrowers, etc. They were just as much a shooter then than they are now, just smaller games because of old technology. if anything the game should have been called "horror shooter" from the get go.

If you want a survival horror go with silent hill or something like that. They are closer to what is defined as "Survival horror".

As far as RE is concerned they are definitely getting better.

clayman637 said:
Granted that resident evil has been changing over the last few years, but that is not a bad thing.
Not a bad thing if you like the direction it's going, but for someone who does not like the direction it is going, then it would be a bad thing.

The changes are all for the better.
Subjective

In the later games the T virus has spread rampantly, it is no long just an infected house, now we are talking cities worth of infected. To combat this new threat you can't keep just going at it with a pistol/ shotgun.
And how is that supposed to make it scarier?

Trust me the fact that they got rid of the "tank" controls of the ond games is a blessing.
Again, entirely subjective. I preferred the tank controls, I find I'm constantly running into walls with 2d controls every time the camera angle changes. I don't find that a blessing.

As for the disappearance of zombies this is a little sad, but honestly, how many games can you shoot slow moving staggering zombies and feel satisfied? where is the suspense/ danger in that?
I agree, but only because I've never been a RE fan :)

Trying to reload your pistol while some guy runs at you with giant hook hands is way scarier than staggering zombies.
Frustrating, I would call it.

If you want a survival horror go with silent hill or something like that. They are closer to what is defined as "Survival horror".
I finally agree with you :D

Not too long ago, I posted a forum on the website where I asked people's opinion on the new direction that survival-horror games are going since the release of RE4. Allot of people (in the gaming community) believe that these changes to the genre are an improvment, but for me I feel that they lack the elements that make survival-horror games enjoyable.

In many games, fixed camera angles, small inventory, dodgy combat, and limited resources, are seen as a negative, but when it comes to the survival horror genre, these elements make this genre enjoyable to play. it gives an added sense of tension and strategic thinking that can't be accomplished through plowing down hordes of enemies with essentially unlimited ammo like in the Serious Sam games.

So to answer your question Bloodletter, yes the Resident Evil games are trading in its survival horror roots for gameplay that's more action oriented, simply to appease the more mainstream frat-boy gamer (also, in RE4, how come the enemies drop ammunition when you kill them, despite the fact that they don't carry any fire-arms to begin with?).

I just finally beat resident evil 3 -i hate leaving to the bathroom thinking ill be safe only for nemises to blow me up from a rooftop- and it has changed completely. It still deserves the resident evil title, but only occassionally the survival horror genre tag. The only times its survival in 4 is up until you get into the castle. And as for the lack of zombies, i think we might actually see some again, if nothing other than a tyrant. Wesker pretty much heads umbrella at this point, and we're in africa, the continent where the virus originated. Im not counting Resident Evil out until one of the original first 3 games characters dies without good reason.

Also, in Degeneration, wtf's up with leon having a love interest? Love has no place in RE

What the hell nooooooo

Ok no it hasnt they keep getting better but they need to make a new one with the old characters whaT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT???????

masterchris said:
Again, entirely subjective. I preferred the tank controls, I find I'm constantly running into walls with 2d controls every time the camera angle changes. I don't find that a blessing.

I agree. I loved the tank controls in RE, it was part of the reason as to why you felt so vulnerable - its what made it so scary.

But on that note, i think the transition to RE4 was for the better. The times were changing and tank controls were seen as primitive. But i will agree that the series has gone down hill.

Uver said:
Also, in Degeneration, wtf's up with leon having a love interest? Love has no place in RE

That's true, but i cant help but feel a little dissapointed how he never got some in the end.

RE3 and 2 are the best RE games IMO

Re: What the hell nooooooo

Ellsworth247 said:
Ok no it hasnt they keep getting better but they need to make a new one with the old characters whaT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT???????

It's called RE 5 featuring Chris Redfield.

I think it's still enjoyable but not the RE we fell in love with originally. I played the demo for 5 and it felt like 4 in HD. It was fun but didn't have what I was hoping for.

Where's the constant state of suspense that was captured in RE 3 with Nemesis or RE 2 with that big guy randomly popping out at you? RE4 had that in parts - Mainly in the sewer tunnels with the invisible monsters - That was creepy as hell. It also had some intense, white knuckle action moments but the genuine scares such as those found in the sewer were few and far between, I just feel the series needs a finer balance between horror/suspense and action,

did anyone here play RE5 demo on 360 yet? I swear that the survival part in "survival horror" in this game comes from having to fight the controls.

LinksOcarina said:
Resident Evil has lost its touch years ago. This is nothing new if you ask me. Hell, the games have gone from Survival Horror to a more action shooter in the past few years anyway. That is the direction they want to go, let them. It's such an old series now it will still sell.
Kudos :D
Resident has been like Star Wars...lost of things about it...not enough substance but still sells...I bought RE4 only because it was fun but not scary like RE2 or the other...but Links Ocarina is right...it lost it a while ago

It's evolving. Not about horror any more as it is more about story. The virus is gone so instead of magically bringing zombies back, come up with a new idea. Which they did well. RE4 wasn't supposed to be scary. Just like how Clive Barker's: Jericho wasn't supposed to be scary. Just like how FEAR isn't supposed to be scary.

It's called Resident Evil. Not Resident Horror or some shit. Nuff said, get over it.

Sprax said:
It's called Resident Evil. Not Resident Horror or some s***. Nuff said, get over it.
What's the title got to do with it? Silent Hill isn't called Silent Horror, but I would still consider it a horror game. Point is, RE started as something, then evolved into something different. Some people who are die hard fans of the series, or of what the series started out as, may not appreciate the new direction. Same with me and Silent Hill and the direction it took on SH3 and 4, or Tomb Raider and the direction it took at TR3.

i don't get it. people used to complain about how old and stale the gaming mechanics were in resident evil. the y change, and most everyone praises it. now that they are sticking with the formula, people are bashing it? just doesn't make sense to me. i for one enjoy the new direction. and don't tell me everytime you see the chainsaw guy you don't freak out at least a lil bit. and yeah, there are more guns and ammo, but just as lil health items.

masterchris said:
Sprax said:
It's called Resident Evil. Not Resident Horror or some s***. Nuff said, get over it.
What's the title got to do with it? Silent Hill isn't called Silent Horror, but I would still consider it a horror game. Point is, RE started as something, then evolved into something different. Some people who are die hard fans of the series, or of what the series started out as, may not appreciate the new direction. Same with me and Silent Hill and the direction it took on SH3 and 4, or Tomb Raider and the direction it took at TR3.

However RE isn't a horror game. And that's what people seem to forget. It's a survival turned into a survival action. I think the new direction is nice, related to the story, and getting rid of those horrible, horrible, camera angles was a blessing.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
i don't get it. people used to complain about how old and stale the gaming mechanics were in resident evil. the y change, and most everyone praises it. now that they are sticking with the formula, people are bashing it? just doesn't make sense to me. i for one enjoy the new direction. and don't tell me everytime you see the chainsaw guy you don't freak out at least a lil bit. and yeah, there are more guns and ammo, but just as lil health items.

People are fickle, for one, that's why they complain.

But look at it this way though. RE4 was great, a breath of fresh air, and still had elements of Resident Evil that makes it Resident Evil, scary, definitive elements. The first time you fight the lake monster or the claw guy in the dungeon of the castle, it's pretty scary. The combat in the game still had the RE feel, somewhat slow and tense, more strategic and even your inventory had to follow suit. Shooting enemies in the head or leg to slow them meant five more seconds of survival.

RE5 removes the last vestiges of the horror aspect. What was great night time scenes seems like jarring numbers in the daylight. Scary looking enemies are replaced with mindless grunts and no real, weird creatures of note. You can have all the weapons you want magically, it seems, removing the inventory holder which made the game fantastic. A lot of what RE was about has gone away.

Is it good or bad? I don't know. I thought RE 4 was great, but I think RE 5 will be a disappointment, even with the same gameplay controls. The only way well find out is by playing it,which I most definitely will eventually. For now though, we just need to know that the direction RE 5 is going is less survival horror, more action arcade shooter.

well link, while that is a valid point, i still think there is nothing scarier than being the only white man surrounded by a bunch of black people ^_^

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
well link, while that is a valid point, i still think there is nothing scarier than being the only white man surrounded by a bunch of black people ^_^

Uh, dude, not cool...

Uver said:
KoalaRainbowPoop said:

Uh, dude, not cool...

oh, stop taking things so seriously. learn to laugh buddy. even if it seems racist, crass, or sickening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod