Intrusive advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiggy

Regular
So I'm pretty sure many of you already have seen this, but I feel the advertising is getting way out of hand. I'm frequently getting massive drop-down ads that cover half of my screen (and on a 1680x1050 monitor, that's ridiculous), which screw up the page formatting. They also cause a lot of issues with scrolling which throw my view of the page around like a rubber band. Not to mention the ads that appear in between paragraphs, oftentimes not loading until after the rest of the page has, which messes up the formatting and page scrolling even more.

I've tried to play nice and have Adblock+ disabled here, but the ads that show up hamper my experience here significantly. I've been using GR since 1998, and been a member since 2005, and this advertising is seriously hampering my ability to enjoy what's been my favorite gaming site since I was ten years old. When I DO have Adblock on, I can't even block the ads manually.

Is there any way GR can rein in the complete asshat nature of the ads? I understand completely that you guys need ad revenue to keep the site running. I do. But with the way these ads are behaving, I can only see them turning people away, which in my understanding reduces that ad revenue because nobody's there to see them.

I apologize if there's been other threads on this issue, but I didn't see any with a quick glance over the forum. That said, I feel this still needs to be addressed.

Ads before content. It's the way of the future.

Just enable Adblock+ on GR. Do it. Never look back. Show them some tough love. It's the right thing to do.

As much as I want to say "don't turn on AdBlock" for the sake of continuing to support GR (as ads are required for ad revenue to keep the site up and running), I've noticed that these ads have been getting very hectic as of late.

I run a monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution. I'll go to the front page and without doing anything, I'm hit by an ad that takes up the entire full screen and is a video. I can close it, sure, but not for a few seconds after.

I've also noticed that when trying to type in comments on articles, it gets really slow because of an ad playing above, which is like... a video or something. Anyone else noticed that?

I rarely try to access GR on mobile anymore. Every time I do, I'm flooded with ads about apps etc.

I'm sorry to hear that the ads are downgrading your experience, Squiggy.

Master_Craig said:
As much as I want to say "don't turn on AdBlock" for the sake of continuing to support GR (as ads are required for ad revenue to keep the site up and running), I've noticed that these ads have been getting very hectic as of late.

I run a monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution. I'll go to the front page and without doing anything, I'm hit by an ad that takes up the entire full screen and is a video. I can close it, sure, but not for a few seconds after.

I've also noticed that when trying to type in comments on articles, it gets really slow because of an ad playing above, which is like... a video or something. Anyone else noticed that?

I rarely try to access GR on mobile anymore. Every time I do, I'm flooded with ads about apps etc.

I'm sorry to hear that the ads are downgrading your experience, Squiggy.
The ads are pretry much why I don't comment on much articles anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod