Influencers

Hey everyone -

Hope you don't mind that I'm essentially posting this for the sake of research. But knowing the answers you give me come direct from the GameRev community make the information that much more valuable.

Essentially, I'm wondering if you guys could recommend or suggest potential influencers that you could see aligning well with GameRevolution's "voice" and content.

An influencer really just means someone with influence, be it an internet celebrity, YouTube personality, competitive gamer, social media influencer, or even just a regular celebrity that's a gamer.

Could you guys take a few minutes out to suggest some people that would fit well with GameRevolution? I'm not going to go as far as to say we're going to have regular columns from them or them writing articles for us, but you very well may see your suggestions on GameRevolution surrounding event coverage, or events themselves.

My staff here is also free to chime in, but I really want to hear from our true community members.

No rush on this info. I appreciate any feedback you can give us. And to sweeten the pot, I'll randomly select one person who makes a suggestion to receive a $10 PSN card.

PewDiePie.

Just kidding.

I know some people won't agree with me, but personally I find big "influencers" to me are the guys of Penny Arcade, Mike "Gabe" Krahulik and Jerry "Tycho" Holkins. I really look up to Mike as an artist (particularly a web comic artist) and I think Jerry is a great writer. I also appreciate their humour and despite their stature and success, I appreciate how down to earth they are. I've met both of them at PAX AUS a few times now and I have only good things to say about them.

As a random, somewhat off topic suggestion, I think the GameRevolution pod cast should make a return. :) Maybe with a new, shorter intro perhaps?

Boogie2988: He's very well known; a prolific content creator; covers all kinds of topics entailing video game news and events (also frequents popular conventions like E3 and PAX); he has a great sense of wit and humor; performs as multiple, interesting characters; and he's an all-around amiable guy that treats others with kindness and respect. I think he would make a good ambassador GR.

Here's a link to his YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/boogie2988

UghRochester or Urban. Could definitely see Urban walking around getting some coverage. He has experience

How about a person I like on Twitch, TheSpartanShow? Long story short, TheSpartanShow is the reason why The Playroom became such a huge thing when broadcasting from the PS4. He had his 15 minutes of fame and now it trying to do some quality stream. I myself am trying to be on his streaming team, sending him followers when I can.

Hmmm... Influencers meaning people who drive traffic or who's opinions matter? The end goal being more people walking around GR?

I think you need to get some Live Podcasters onboard to discuss topics that are popping up on your homepage. Like, "saw this interesting article on GR about X" and then having a discussion about it. I do like when you guys cover events, but I understand the cost to it, so maybe finding some streamer or personality who's going to be there already and throw them a GR shirt to get interviews.

In terms of influencers - I really only pay attention to other GR peeps. like if bret or De-ting start a thread then I know its at least going to be entertaining.. but as far as the homepage :/ i just click things I think I know a little about.. so I wind up glossing over a large amount of it tbh, except for the challenge accepted stuff.

StudioTan said:
Boogie2988: He's very well known; a prolific content creator; covers all kinds of topics entailing video game news and events (also frequents popular conventions like E3 and PAX); he has a great sense of wit and humor; performs as multiple, interesting characters; and he's an all-around amiable guy that treats others with kindness and respect. I think he would make a good ambassador GR.

Here's a link to his YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/boogie2988

This. Boogie is the gaming personality I respect the most.

I've read Anthony's post twice and I'm still not sure what he's looking for here.

used44 said:
I've read Anthony's post twice and I'm still not sure what he's looking for here.

We would like community feedback on which influencers they would like to see featured in content.

What is an influencer?

"An influencer really just means someone with influence, be it an internet celebrity, YouTube personality, competitive gamer, social media influencer, or even just a regular celebrity that's a gamer."

Dunkey is the first yourtüber I could think of. Maybe Skye.

I enjoy them. Dunkey has a sizeable following.

Most of the other influencers I can think of already have a connection to other companies like Legendary, PA or Escapist.

Thank you for all of the responses thus far! This isn't as much about driving traffic or adding these people to regular GR features and content, but more about aligning with them during events or other larger opportunities as a way to reach a broader audience.

If the influencer themselves align with GR's content, then it's a lot easier to for us to tap into their audience and having them featured on GR for whatever reason isn't offensive to our current users. Especially if you guys picked them!

Urban - I saw you mention costs. We actually just had some surprise budget cuts so you may notice we're a little less staffed than usual. Unfortunately, I can't get into details, but it's sad nonetheless.

We're still going strong, though, and are looking forward to some big things coming in 2016 that I can't talk about just yet.

I'll leave this open for suggestions for another week or so, then I'll close the thread, choose someone to get a PSN card, and likely delete the thread.

Thank you again all!

I think I get it now. My first read on it was, "Help us find a YouTube star to hitch our wagon to" which felt a little sad.

I'm very sorry to hear about staff layoffs. I'm sure you guys will come out of it stronger than ever.

ANYWAYS, a few notable gamers I follow:

@kumialn Kumail Nanjiani, stand-up comedian and actor. He's hooked up with Nerdist thought with his Indoor Kids podcast, so I don't know if you're just looking for freelancers or what.

@sewart Greg Sewart of the Player One Podcast and Generation-16 video series. Former EGM writer and retro gaming nut. And just a very sweet dude.

What's Adam Sessler doing these days? He's pretty damn charismatic and loves to get deep into the politics of video games and media, which I really geek out on.

From his twitter: "A consultancy for entertainment and media." Sounds good.

just my opinion

vDNZM1D.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod