I must have scared my parents.

In the year 2000, one of my favorite bands was Rage Against the Machine
Rage%2BAgainst%2BThe%2BMachine%2B-%2BThe%2BBattle%2Bof%2BLos%2BAngeles%2B%255B1999%255D.jpg

Remember this? Well the follow up was entirely composed of covers and titled
rage-against-the-machine-rock-band-2-wish-list-20080724001713352-000.jpg

Renegades.

I listened to that CD a lot. I'd put it on in the living room and played Mario Kart 64. I could recited the lyrics. Lyrics like:
Pistol Grip Pump said:
Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times [3x]
They can be fucking with other niggas shit, but they cant be fucking with mine
Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times [3x]
They can be fucking with other niggas shit, but they cant be fucking with mine

Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times, right?
Cause tricks be out for your blindside
Never understood it, but remember i showed you
That in these times you gotta look over your shoulder, strap
Well that ain't nothin' but the intent of gettin high
And a cop giving you shit for just passing you by
If your ever in trouble or on the double best to call your pals
Or how about this golden-oldie:
How I Could Just Kill A Man said:
here's an example just a little sample:
how could I just kill a man
one time tried to come in my home take my chrome
I said yo it's on. take cover son or you're assed out
how do you like my chrome then I watched the rookie pass out
didn't have to blast him but I did any way, young punk had to pay
so I just killed a man
I realize now how much a 12 year old could scare a parent, because I am damn sure I scared the shit out of my parents with this stuff.

And one more for good measure:
I'm Housin' said:
I stepped back, like it wasn't no thing
I Punched him in the jaw with the fat gold ring
I had an ace in the hole when it came to that
Yo Z you was packin? You know was strapped
Posse kept rollin it was hard to get with 'em
So I stepped back, and unbuttoned my Lee denim
They kept coming, just like I figured
So I stepped back, and started sprayin niggaz
What a way to go out, out like a sucker

tl;dr What did you do that probably scared your parents?

My dad has had dreams his whole life that I was going to fall off a cliff.

And then once I almost fell off a cliff for real.

I did too many things to list that scared my parents so I'll be different and mention something that one of my kids does that scares me. And by scare I mean, annoy the fuck out of. And it happens to do with music too!

My stepdaughter has recently become obsessed with this genre of music that before I was blissfully ignorant of. It's called K Pop or whatever the fuck it is and as far as I can tell is just a fucking terrible, horrible, Asian mockery of wannabe hip hop culture and boy band bullshit for the guys and trying to sex up dangerously underage looking girls to shake what they got (which ain't much at all) for the girls.

Like, it is to the point where she listens to it all the time and has pictures of the artists everywhere and even listens to these god awful assholes on youtube where they dissect the music videos and discuss every little thing that happens.

I thought I knew bad music before but this K pop stuff is quite literally the worst shit I've ever heard in my entire life. Supposedly, according to her, this music is wildly popular in other countries. I just asked her why she couldn't just be into Lil Wayne or whatever bullshit kids listen to these days... =(

In the year 2000 it was all about Eminem. He was the ultimate poster boy for controversy and I know my mom was scared of him, lol. I mean how can you not be when one of his songs is basically a story where he brutally kills his ex.

I could dig Eminem at parties but Rage was always a fave. They were making awesome rap/rock music while Limp Bizkit was becoming a joke. It's sad how big Bizkit was in those days.

C_nate said:
My stepdaughter has recently become obsessed with this genre of music that before I was blissfully ignorant of. It's called K Pop or whatever the f*** it is and as far as I can tell is just a f****** terrible, horrible, Asian mockery of wannabe hip hop culture and boy band bullshit for the guys and trying to sex up dangerously underage looking girls to shake what they got (which ain't much at all) for the girls.

Like, it is to the point where she listens to it all the time and has pictures of the artists everywhere and even listens to these god awful assholes on youtube where they dissect the music videos and discuss every little thing that happens.

I thought I knew bad music before but this K pop stuff is quite literally the worst s*** I've ever heard in my entire life. Supposedly, according to her, this music is wildly popular in other countries. I just asked her why she couldn't just be into Lil Wayne or whatever bullshit kids listen to these days... =(
Gee, I sorta feel sorry for you. Though you have to look on the bright side here. The boys that she's idolizing are going to be the types who aren't doing drugs, being irresponsible and acting like the devil, like a lot of the young men who would be listening to modern music aimed for teens (which isn't much better). And while I'm not trying to call you Mr. Simple or anything, but it's always good when youth are looking into a new world. If you had a time machine and looked back at yourself when you were her age, you'd probably see that the music you listened to wasn't all that much better. And there's some bittersweet knowledge knowing that someday she'll grow out of it.

C_nate said:
My stepdaughter has recently become obsessed with this genre of music that before I was blissfully ignorant of. It's called K Pop or whatever the f*** it is and as far as I can tell is just a f****** terrible, horrible, Asian mockery of wannabe hip hop culture and boy band bullshit for the guys and trying to sex up dangerously underage looking girls to shake what they got (which ain't much at all) for the girls.

I thought I knew bad music before but this K pop stuff is quite literally the worst s*** I've ever heard in my entire life. Supposedly, according to her, this music is wildly popular in other countries. I just asked her why she couldn't just be into Lil Wayne or whatever bullshit kids listen to these days... =(

At least you can't understand the mediocrity. Unless you happen to speak Korean, then I feel bad for you.

I think we've all done things that our parents are scared of. Like one time I told them, I went to Mexico with a couple of friends during high school. That kinda flipped them out.

There's also some stuff I've done that I didn't tell them because I knew it would scare them. Like going into the mountains and shoot off guns or throwing M80 firecrackers in the air at a friend's house.

Fuck yes, i love Renegades so much.
Have done 100-105km in under 40 minutes with that CD in my old car, and every second was awesome.
WickedLiquid said:
I mean how can you not be when one of his songs is basically a story where he brutally kills his ex.
To be fair, on the LP he only made a song about dumping his ex's body with the help of his baby.
...So yeah, all good then.
Just the two of us, just the two of us....

As for scaring my parents by doing things, i don't do much stupid shit. They don't know i'm not a virgin and have been with a guy, so that'd probably freak them out a little.
Most of the stuff i do that scares them is when i'm pissed off and i have access to a car. Left a 20m skid/driftmark outside my old house one time when i left angry and we lived on a corner.

Longo_2_guns said:
C_nate said:

Gee, I sorta feel sorry for you. Though you have to look on the bright side here. The boys that she's idolizing are going to be the types who aren't doing drugs, being irresponsible and acting like the devil, like a lot of the young men who would be listening to modern music aimed for teens (which isn't much better). And while I'm not trying to call you Mr. Simple or anything, but it's always good when youth are looking into a new world. If you had a time machine and looked back at yourself when you were her age, you'd probably see that the music you listened to wasn't all that much better. And there's some bittersweet knowledge knowing that someday she'll grow out of it.
Hahaha, Ting, update your shit with this.

madster111 said:
WickedLiquid said:
I mean how can you not be when one of his songs is basically a story where he brutally kills his ex.
To be fair, on the LP he only made a song about dumping his ex's body with the help of his baby.
Just the two of us, just the two of us.....

You're talking about The Slim Shady LP released in 1999. I'm talking about The Marshal Mathers LP released in 2000 with the song Kim.

WickedLiquid said:
madster111 said:
WickedLiquid said:

You're talking about The Slim Shady LP released in 1999. I'm talking about The Marshal Mathers LP released in 2000 with the song Kim.
Fun fact: Kim is actually a prequel to 97 Bonnie and Clyde, the song he's talking about.

The sound of him getting the body in the car and closing the car door that appears at the beginning of 97 Bonnie and Clyde also appears at the end of Kim, and there are a bunch of edits of both songs going in proper succession.

Let's see... In 1998 I was twelve and listening to Cypress Hill, Rob Zombie (actually White Zombie), Nine Inch Nails, and Marilyn Manson.

I was playing GTA London on the PSX, I played Quake 2 religiously on my PC, and I refused to go to church. Oh and my favorite movie was (and still is) A Clockwork Orange and A Boy and his Dog.

Yeah, pretty sure they thought I was going to turn out to be a serial killer.

Longo_2_guns said:
WickedLiquid said:
madster111 said:
WickedLiquid said:

Fun fact: Kim is actually a prequel to 97 Bonnie and Clyde, the song he's talking about.

The sound of him getting the body in the car and closing the car door that appears at the beginning of 97 Bonnie and Clyde also appears at the end of Kim, and there are a bunch of edits of both songs going in proper succession.
Yeah, I knew that. I was in high school during those years when he blew up so EVERYBODY and their cousin knew all there was to know about Eminem.

I don't regret being a part of the Eminem craze, but I do regret being a part of the Limp Bizkit craze. As soon as that album Chocolate Starfish came out I should've drawn the line. But that was the party scene, all the frat boys liked Limp Bizkit and we all wanted to be like them. It was hard to turn people onto better bands at the time like Rage and Deftones but damn sheeple just want what's popular. Honestly I was quite content sitting in my parent's basement on many night listening to Kid A and thinking about how awesome it would be if I had a PS2.

Ahhh, 2000, I can't believe it was 12 years ago.

my parents are bible thumpers and Rage wouldn't have bothered them.. i was listening to more rebellious shit at that time.

Rage Against The Machine is the best hard rock band of all time. Period. End of story.

Assuming they classify as hard rock, I'm not good with music genres. Whatever genre they're in, they're the best of all time.

at any rate. i was a psychotic kid from grade 7-9. then i completely mellowed out.

like i'm talking in therapy sessions with my mom 3 days a week. i probably displayed many characteristics of a serial killer in the making.

I listened to shit like marilyn manson, lit things on fire, smashed windows for fun, did coke in grade 8, stole anything and everything from everywhere, broke into houses and stole alcohol, the list goes on. I never did anything to directly hurt anyone, nor animals, nor did I ever have any desire to.

I just had a buddy that it was kind of like "you won't do that, oh yes i will!".. we just did dumber and dumber things by the day, it was just a competition to see who had more, at the time we thought balls.

we werent goth or socially awkward though, dressed normal, had normal social lives (actually grade 8-9 was probably the funnest time of my life, in every way). we just liked to do stupid ass shit. we'd cut ourselves, but for fun to see who could make the bigger cut than the other person before giving up due to pain. not because nobody loved us.

we ended up getting busted for like EVERYTHING within the span of two weeks. stealing from the school. from stores. got investigated by the FBI for arson (which we actually didn't commit).. the worst fire we ever started was when we stole a giant stuffed lobster from a food both on the beach and lit it on fire in the middle of the road. that was sooo epic. stopped traffic for a while. just cause of a stuffed lobster on fire..

went to a party of probably young 20 something kids, threw open the door and like 5 of us each threw 5 or so water balloons into the house and took off. they got into their cars and chased us with baseball bats. we hid in the grass in the woods while they walked around calling for us. THAT was fucking scary.

so yea, i was fucked. but then around grade 10 i completely mellowed out and now i wont do anything anymore. i still regret a ton of shit i did back then, like smashing peoples huge windows.

but my mom was rightfully concerned for me. they were bible thumpers and i was normal, and i was acting out. and i just happened to meet a kid who when the two of got together it was like vinegar and baking soda. he continued to be fucked up though, he's so fucked now from drugs he can't even speak coherently, it's really depressing because he was an extremely smart kid.

Yeah, I feel like I wouldn't have been concerned if my kid listened to Rage, as intense as the lyrics sometimes are. I'm sure it's not as alarming for parents as the kids who went goth and stuff.

intoTheRain said:
Rage Against The Machine is the best hard rock band of all time. Period. End of story.

Assuming they classify as hard rock, I'm not good with music genres. Whatever genre they're in, they're the best of all time.

Categorizing music genres is silly. Rap/Rock was labelled Nu-Metal but apparently Korn invented that. And Rage was around a couple years before Korn's first album. It makes no sense!

But hey, at least Rage doesn't have to feel guilty about being responsible for all the sh!tty rap/rock that spawned from Limp Bizkit like Linkin Park and Papa Roach. You can give all the credit to Korn for all I care.

I couldn't scare my parents, err...my mom that is. She's bigger than me, so yeah. However, I scare people in present times. Sometimes I do it on purpose, but It's mainly by accident. For example, I'm there sweeping the drive-thru, doing my work and not harming anyone. Suddenly, someone turns around inside, sees me, and jumps in the air petrified. Now, that makes me feel unattractive and it happens all the times. Now, when I do it on purpose, I mastered the way of walking behind someone silently. So, I'll walk behind someone for a few minutes until they turn around...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod