Huckleberry FInn, the edited version!

Well, banning has happened since the book's release for more than the use of the n-word. Mark Twain would have something witty to say about this. And I'm pretty sure there are a ton of statements where he defends its value.

But instead I'll just use this Twain quote: "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."

wait... wasn't that in an episode of the simpsons? where skinners takes over the school military style and get overthrown... to see the kids burn down mark twain book saying "Not huckleberry Finn! It took me all night to get rid of the N-words!"

also back to topic:
sh20070627.gif

Well, ruining literature again, we really need to stop stuff like that. I mean, yeah, some people may find the word offensive, but it's not offensive enough to be censored on TV by the FCC. Because of this I think people should be able to be mature enough to read it. I mean the entire context of the use is because that's how people back then who were uneducated spoke. Changing that is like going back and saying Pluto isn't a planet...

Green_Lantern said:
After the whole Texas textbook thing, I'm really not surprised.

It's more of a Leftist thing, censoring out bits of history is what conservs are up to, but editing what we read is a liberal thing. Political Correctness, dawg.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Green_Lantern said:

It's more of a Leftist thing, censoring out bits of history is what conservs are up to, but editing what we read is a liberal thing. Political Correctness, dawg.
I doubt the Burmese government is anything but liberal... nor conservative for that matter, maybe just insane... so yeah.. put down that corrective gun, partner.... Wait who said it was leftist or a conservative thing in the first place?

And i would like to point out that it's just ONE publisher who decided to do this, the free market will decide if ether the word should be censored or not... brr...

schimmel said:
Well, ruining literature again, we really need to stop stuff like that. I mean, yeah, some people may find the word offensive, but it's not offensive enough to be censored on TV by the FCC. Because of this I think people should be able to be mature enough to read it. I mean the entire context of the use is because that's how people back then who were uneducated spoke. Changing that is like going back and saying Pluto isn't a planet...

If you're talking about the word itself, I don't think that you can judge how offensive it is, in any useful/objective way. The subjective meaning of the word isn't related to being mature enough to read it; it has to do with accepting the work in its original/intended format, and working within its context. This context isn't necessarily uneducated people, as you identify, but a time when there exists a lot of heavy tension between races and cultures. It's broad. You might say it's "education" in the same sense as "civilization," though, and the irony there. It's kind of the opposite effect for the classification of Pluto...

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it. - a quote attributed to mark twain but not actually confirmed to be something he said.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Green_Lantern said:

This s***t makes me sad...

Anyway... Has anyone here ever read Fahrenheit 451? Political Science fiction now seems prophetic.

With kindles and macbooks, hells yeah on that for Fahrenheit 451.

As for Twain...I know this is a leftist thing, but it is still wrong. I don't care if the book uses derogatory terms, it's a piece of literature and art, in many ways. One of the last Americana Folktales if that makes sense.

I dislike this sort of crap in general. But I can guarantee you there will be a lot of schools buying it (and to an extent with good reason). I remember when we read it in grade school. There was an asian kid, a black kid and me in a class full of caucasians. I remember that word being used for all of us, which only further illustrated ignorance.

It's only one edition and like I said, Twain defended it in his day and the world kept on turning.

I wonder how Mark Twain schools feel about this. I would buy it more or less for the lulz.

They really should edit the title to read "The Misadventures of...," and explain how Huck was wrong, and that the proper education (that we should be thankful for today) would have enlightened him. Poor soul.

Much ado about nothing. Who's teaching with Huck Finn anyhow? Aren't the past editions still available? It sounds like people are bitching about being given a choice again.

While I disagree with the edition, I don't have an issue with there being a choice of texts... The problem isn't so much the option of this particular edition, but what it suggests, which is that in order for it to be considered in schools, to be considered as a book that can be taught to children, it needs to be "corrected." I can see where Gribben is coming from. But read this quotation from him:
Alan Gribben said:
My daughter went to a magnet school and one of her best friends was an African-American girl. She loathed the book, could barely read it.
Why? I said before that the subjective meaning of the word isn't related to being mature enough to read it. I mean that it is meant to be provocative, and anyone who loathes the book for its language shouldn't be reading it. It should do the exact opposite of making you loathe it. If that isn't there, then what are they even planning on teaching? I've read several books that have made me hate and want to punch some character in the face, because he/she was being a giant jerk. But that's just good stuff, isn't it?

Either the importance of the language is understood as part of the central theme, and it's just being effective (affective), as we usually want literature to be, or it isn't being understood in that role, in which case, as a Twain scholar, shouldn't that kind of reaction alert him to that more serious problem, rather than move him to change it in order to be sympathetic to sensitive people?

What strikes me most is that this is considered an "update." It's the modern classroom that can't handle this, not the classroom decades ago. What a horrible, stunning idea.

On the other hand, it's not as if we've become more responsible with the word nigger since the late 1800s. It's the complete opposite. Who's seriously shocked when the modern classroom proves it can't handle or be responsible with the word nigger in 2011?

If anything, we were actually more responsible with the word back in 1884 during Huckleberry Finn's original publication. That idea is horrible and stunning enough on its own.

This was probably a move to get Huck Finn on the curriculum, not off (it was never on to begin with). So I can understand the parents' concern over this book being taught in the modern classroom with that word intact. We'll argue all sides but we won't have to deal with it, and the parents won't have to deal with it. It's their children who will have to deal with it and still no one's responsible enough with that word in 2011.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I remember when we read it in grade school. There was an asian kid, a black kid and me in a class full of caucasians. I remember that word being used for all of us, which only further illustrated ignorance.
That's a hell of a classroom to be in when you're the one being called nigger by other 12 - 13 yr olds. Educated parents are looking out for their own, and I can't fault them for that. No one's saying this will stop people from using the word, but whatever way to mitigate the use in the classroom is fine by me. also, 2 versions available.

I don't think the modern classroom has proven that it can't handle the word. I would say that it's worse to not have it around, presented to them in this fashion, to remove it because people think that everyone just says it because lolz, nigger. I mean, worse than what... confronting its use or talking about it? I agree that how the word is used has certainly changed, but that shouldn't mean that the text should change; the discussion is what needs to be updated, if anything.

The the article that Links posted actually links to another article that is more detailed, which is where I got the quotation from. For ease: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...newsouth-huck-finn-eliminates-the-n-word.html His quotation is clarified a little, and he talks more about his motivations, which are primarily focused around getting more people to read it.

As for parents looking out for their own, what's the argument? That having a book that uses the word "nigger" will encourage its use? Or that their children won't be able to handle seeing the word used so much in it, as suggested by the editor? Maybe they should start sending out information packets whenever children start reading a new book. Just in case they start reading Pit Pony in 5th grade and can get over how they call the dog a bitch, teehee.

Just as a note, I'd be pissed if I received this modified copy to read/study. :p Yes, I know there are other versions, and thank goodness for that. But that my school/teacher/principal/etc. think that this is a better option would make me feel very disappointed indeed, and let down. And a little insulted. Would you think anything of it?

was anyone here actually asked to read Huck Finn during their schooling? I still believe this was a move to get it_on_the curriculum, to which the whole parents argument comes second.

Personally, I'd rather have to original text because it opens the door to discussion and all.

But I'm not a black parent either. so forgive me for throwing 4chan's internet survey out the window.

anyone else see the irony in having to jump a word-filter hurdle in a topic about censorship, my minority friends of mine?

When I was talking about responsibility earlier, i was also referring to today's rap music. They're to blame as much as anyone else.
But then I remembered how Nas turned the term on its head. Black men own the word now. I'll go a step further and say black men and women are making modern society pay a penance with each use of the word nigger in their vernacular and music.

It's a history lesson each time. These kids (the same kids who are reading Huck Finn) are getting educated to a period in time without even realizing it. When they're kids it's nigga this, nigga that. When they're adults it's ...Hmmm.. Nigger this, Nigger that.. okay.
So when Nas says he is a nigger it's subversive social commentary at its best, though it's also a disservice because we'll never move beyond its negative connotation. inb4 who the fuck is Nas

i think it's a great way of indoctrinating the history of the word to the youth. but, yeh, it's the penance we'll pay for slavery; the word and a division are both here to stay. So some kid doing it for the lulz may vote no on removing it from the text, but an educated black man would vote the same.
so it's forever pejorative, and a victory for all - well, for at least the bigot and Cornel West.
But black men have really taken the law into their own hands. The real losers here are the people who are responsible enough an for open discourse about the word, its history, and the underlying context in the book. but huck finn has been a school board issue for some time now. 2011 hits, boom, a change has been made, that's pretty fishy imo. (change for the sake of change; claim parental concern and political correctness)

we need some more black commentary on this subject. Calling Tigerlily to the thread

Oh... I was asked to read it during schooling. It used to be a book kids would read early on, but the last time I saw it, it was reading for the English AP exam / English Lit list / Have You Read These Books? list. I just thought that it was something kids read because it's a kid's book. I guess it's too old for that, though.

The history lesson thing is a broader topic that gets me all up in a tizzy, related to jokes, race-jokes, sex(ism, ist)-jokes, etc. I'm just going to stop and nod, before I get lost in it. I think I'm good with whatever you said. And the idea of penance is great...

Lol

Sightless, as a black parent, do you not see the broader history lesson first when hearing that the term "nigger" has been replaced with "slave?" wha? Context first? Are you sure you're a black parent?...

Sightless said:
And the idea of penance is great...
rappers like Nas are rare. today's rappers aren't nearly as subversive. they only use the word nigga because it rhymes with jigga or waka flocka.

but don't blame me for understanding the black man's context!

you're totally gonna blame me aren't you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod