"Homosexual Themes" in Army of Two

The apparently Homosexual themes in army of two are being brought up in just about every article about that game, and I honestly don't see it. Well ok, the parachuting can look a bit ehhhh strange if you have a dim witted Xbox live partner, but besides that I can't see it. As to the references in articles, it never actually explains why, they just simply state it(I'll provide quotes later). Are these themes really there?Or is just the homophobic nature of our society to label everything "gay". Discuss!

I think the fact the game centers around two muscle bound "buddies" who need each other to complete tasks is probably enough fuel for the homoerotic fire that is a 14 year old's mind.

Amen brother Link, amen.

Though...I know I will get flammed but I think exagerrating stereotype (like typical homosexual) can be funny.

Anyway, those 2 guys in army of 2 looks like buddies addicted to steroids and red bull mixed with kool aid (they are way too pumped in my opinion).

/flamesuit on

^ That is true. Exaggerating stereotypes can be very funny in games. Just look at the GTAs. Sure, it can be offensive (and I don't mean to be), but taken with a grain of salt I think its something most people can laugh at.

I have to agree. I haven't played the game yet (waiting on my 360, it finally gave up after almost two and a half years of service), but I've been following it pretty closely.

I just don't see it.

The one thing I find quite odd about their relationship is the fact that Salem does not seem to fall within the age group to act like a proud frathouse member.

LinksOcarina said:
And if there was, does it really matter?
Yes not because homosexuality is a bad thing
Just because it is hilarious the developers thought it would be a good idea to not just make them friends, but "friends".

I don't know what articles you're referencing, but I'll go on assumptions that my awesome brain has cooked up.

Army of Two has been a troubled production. See, these Frenchies thought they knew what beer swilling 360 players wanted from their co-op action experience. What they offered was a game in which two bulky mercenaries touch one another's bathing suit areas, use tampons to plug bullet wounds and constantly crack wise in the worst possible ways.

Surprisingly, few people were impressed by these features, so all kinds of things about the game were changed or cut out. Some of it still shines through, surely, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the "homosexuality" related commentary was springing from the game's past more than its present.

Hey, at least it got us all talking about Army of Two, right? If not for this homohubbub, it might just fly under the radar as another middling hallway shooter with co-op!

Hey, I saw this and thought I'd weigh in. I, too, mentioned the homosexual overtones in the game in my review. It isn't that the characters are portrayed as actually gay, but that their relationship is over-friendly. I mentioned also that the game seems "closeted," and I think that probably has something to do with how the game began (with the notorious tampons).

The best term for these two is "homosociality." It's a fancy term for how "heterosexual" men show their desire for one another through displays of desire for a woman. In the game, it is mutual desire for the same woman.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with homosexual themes in games at all. But Army of Two seems to exploit the gay jokes it knows it will inspire.

Here's some.
http://www.oxmonline.com/article/review ... f/army-two
http://www.maximonline.com/entertainmen ... p_id=13419
http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/ ... y-duo.html
And Xbox magazine had one saying "With the homosexual undertones like going around shooting people!" But I don't have the courage to scrounge around for it.

Note: Found the maxim article on game rankings. It's horrible, their opinions on anything should be thrown out and taken as comic relief when ever you think you are a bad writer.

StalfrosCC said:
I think the fact the game centers around two muscle bound "buddies" who need each other to complete tasks is probably enough fuel for the homoerotic fire that is a 14 year old's mind.

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod