Hidden Treasures

-FCM-

Rookie
Got me a perfectly functioning copy of Earthbound for SNES for forty bucks. I just like to hold it.

Share times you've found something ridiculous for an amazing price. Garage sales, thrift stores, all that good stuff.

Years ago, my mom found a broken Geochron at the thrift store--you know those giant clock/maps that show the time of everywhere on the planet at once?--for $5 (Don't know how much it cost in the 70s or 80s when it was made, but today that model starts at $1,800!).

geochron.jpg

A quick adjustment got it working again, and it has sat in our front hall ever since. It's every guests favorite thing to look at and talk about. In addition to being a conversational piece, its useful for calling family living in different time zones, plus I always find myself zoning out at it when I'm home, thinking about the villagers in Chengdu watching the sunrise, or dusk setting over Paris. A few years ago, one of the lights burnt out, so we got it refurbished and they put in a new map--now we finally have one Germany, no more USSR, etc.

Dude, that map so says "Supervillain". You better have also found a white cat and a big swiveling chair at that thrift store.

If you ever need rent money, you know what to do.

I'm always the chump that buys things for full price :( So I have no tales of treasury

I found an old-fashioned, self-contained voting machine that I thought was quite interesting. It pretty much folds out of a medium-sized blue suitcase. It's a cool little oddity that I'll probably donate to some history teacher somewhere.

http://www.madehow.com/images/hpm_0000_ ... mg0189.jpg
I have the one on the right. The 4 holes on the bottom are the placements for the legs, which are included.

This is gaming related.

But I got a full working copies of Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 on the Sega Genesis, all with box and instructions, for $20 bucks. That's all together, not each.

I think the games combined can go for like $80-$100 dollars.

I also got a Top-Loading NES system with controllers, 20 games and four sealed NES games for $110 bucks too. The system alone is worth $100 on average.

yeah, ive been busy collecting..

Local Thriftstore: $8 - Homemade Ghostbuster jumpsuit that someone made and obviously put a lot of work into, but I got too tall for it.

I do have a personal little treasure, a puzzle of the U.S presidents (ending with Clinton) that I worked on with my grandmother back when I was like 10. We decided to glue it together and hang it up on a wall...it was good times then.

The puzzle looked like this, minus Obama and Bush Jr.

WhiteMountainPuzzles.jpg

I got ICO for 15 bucks when it goes for 60 on ebay. Also got a bunch of cheap ps1 games which are worth shit load more than what the guy sold it for.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Dude, that map so says "Supervillain". You better have also found a white cat and a big swiveling chair at that thrift store.

No, that map says, "Classy Supervillain". 8)

Two years ago I was browsing instruments on ebay. Found an Ibanez VBT700 for £300 with case and a full setup (which turned out to be done quite well) after purchase). I didn't find out until a few weeks after I bought it that it was a discontinued model, had only been in production for a year and was probably worth about £550 going on £600 at the time. No idea how much its worth now, but I like it too much to sell it.

I found a Rockford Fosgate Terminator going for $150 at a garage sale once.
This is the amp that will put out 1000w to 2 speakers/subs with perfect clarity all day long. They are capable of producing a clean 2kw on 13.8v, even more on 15-16v, with the max being 18v according to RF at which point the testers back in the day that were rated for 5.5kw wouldn't be able to pick them up anymore.

To put that in perspective for non-audiophiles on here, that single amp will power the massive speakers you find behind the screen at iMax theaters.

Worth over $1500 today when they haven't had water in them (like the shit one on ebay for $900)

I had $90 in my wallet and he sold it before i could get more money.
I cried. Hard.

Bretimus_v2 said:
My lil bro used to work for RF in highschool. They make some amazing stuff. Sorry for your loss.
It still eats at me to this day, and this happened over a year ago.

:crying4:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod