Help Icepick to not go on a murderous rampage

Icepick

Rookie
So, 3 weeks into the new job, 6 days a week (moving to 7 in two weeks, for an indefinite amount of time) working from 11:30pm to 8 in the morning. I can't get onto the sleep cycle, and I have the misfortune of owning a Jack Russell, and they're doing a roofing job next door. In the last 3 weeks I've slept at most 6 hours, and that's with the help of heavy medication (as in, from a bottle and a spliff)

Night Owls of GR, teach me your secrets, lend me your powers, or the orphanage I burn down will be on your hands.

Don't be a bitch. Can't sleep? Hit that vodka and fap until you pass out. Also, don't work 7 days a week.

Get your dogs sleep cycle to sync with yours.

My advice? Quit. Fuck that.

Is this the same job where you caused your co-worker to shit himself?

Boy, karma's a bitch.

Icepick said:
So, 3 weeks into the new job, 6 days a week (moving to 7 in two weeks, for an indefinite amount of time) working from 11:30pm to 8 in the morning. I can't get onto the sleep cycle, and I have the misfortune of owning a Jack Russell, and they're doing a roofing job next door. In the last 3 weeks I've slept at most 6 hours, and that's with the help of heavy medication (as in, from a bottle and a spliff)

Night Owls of GR, teach me your secrets, lend me your powers, or the orphanage I burn down will be on your hands.
I feel your tiredness. Seriously, I do. My apartment I live in has amazing thin walls, because all it is a sheet of dry wall. So, I can hear my neighbors cough and their conversation. Also, my landlord is working on insulation in the room above me. I don't know what he's working on, but he's been hammering in this same spot for weeks. It sounds like he's hammering a pipe. It's so annoying, because it sounds like it's directly in my apartment. In fact, I can hear crumbs of whatever falling down on the ceiling. Trust me, I haven't been getting much sleep. I'm lucky enough to get 3 hours of sleep. This wouldn't be bothering me except for the fact I work overnight from 9PM-5AM. I really never complained about it, because normal people work during the day. While they're sleeping, I'm working.

So, what do I do? As soon as I get home, I don't feel myself tired until I sit on my couch. Once I feel tired enough, that's when I get sleep. It's also hard for me to sleep, because my mind is constantly racing. To calm myself down, I masturbate and start thinking of stupid shit like what happens if my area was overrun by zombies. When I fall asleep, I just dream of running away from zombies. I usually get 3 hours before it's interrupted with the hammering. I try to sleep through it, but it's very difficult to do. So, I've been wasting money on energy drinks for later on that night. Now, he doesn't work on it everyday, but I hate having to live in constant fear of not being able to sleep.

If you're just wondering how to get sleep, that's easy. Turn off the tv, stop electronic stimuli, take a shower and get comfy. It's the correcting your sleep schedule that's the real bitch. Sometimes I have to stay up 2 days just to fix it for 1, if my sleep schedule's really that bad. But I've been this way since 8th grade. I've spent more years of my life this way than without.

Sleeping pills to correct, when need be, but that only works for one day as you've no doubt found. You have to force yourself to stay awake (or asleep) until your body's clock is in sync with your work schedule.

I prefer being a night owl. I just think it's fucked up how everything is opened in the daytime for you sun walkers. It's a 24 hour clock, let's use it already.

madster111 said:
Don't be a bitch. Can't sleep? Hit that vodka and fap until you pass out. Also, don't work 7 days a week.

Get your dogs sleep cycle to sync with yours.

I operate machinery, all nigh long, a hangover is not a welcome addition to the noise and smell of burning plastic

No Mattay, not the same job, I left that office job due to a disagreement over how stupid a feminist was, it's a lengthy story I may share someday, and while quitting would be lovely, I can't seeing as I have bills to pay (out of court sexual harassment settlements are a bitch)

My nightpersoness came naturally. I have been completely incapable of adhering to a 100% "normal" sleeping schedule since the 8th grade.

So, why on earth did you get a night job when you aren't suited for it? I'll just assume it was your last resort. If you're going to stick with it, you'll have to face the consequences. Get rid of the dog, buy whatever you need to help put you to sleep no matter how crazy it seems, and force yourself to stay up for over 24 hrs on your days off, until you change to 7 days a week. If you still have trouble sleeping during the day, you need to mentally exhaust yourself. Play an engaging, if not boring, video game until you just can't handle it anymore. Also, laughing before you go to bed can relieve tension and take the more serious stuff off your mind, so watch something really funny, in bed if possible.

Okay, only keep the dog if you know you'll be more stressed out without 'em.

All I know is the more stressed out you get about it the more you'll think about it, and the less likely it is you'll be able to sleep. Shitty cycle.

Some people just really are not capable of sleeping in the daytime, and I am one of them.. night shift is not for everyone.

If quitting isn't an option, I'd keep myself up by doing whatever (eating, I guess or playing additive video games) then pass out in the morning. It'll change your sleep cycle overtime and if you're really tired then nothing could wake you. Of course, there's a chance that they'll change your work schedule for a laugh then you could burn down that orphanage and noone will blame you... because no one cares about orphans.

You just have to get used to it. At least they have you on only nights rather than changing the schedule on you all the time. When I worked nights only it was pretty easy to get into a sleep habit, but when my shift work started going from nights to afternoons or mornings and back again really sucked.

Getting window blinds that completely block out light would help a bit - or even one of those sleeping masks.

I find Melatonin helps me get to sleep and establish sleeping patterns.

For sound I actually just sleep with a pillow under and over my head. I then just turn my alarm clock as loud as it will go(Its my cellphone so its right next to me)

Hope you get good sleep buddy.

Time by Pink Floyd makes an excellent alarm clock. Set it as your alarm on your cell phone and trust me, you will get up. You have to make sure your alarm is far enough from your bed that you have to physically get up to turn it off. Also if you're a coffee drinker just think to yourself "coffee coffee coffee" and once you get a cup in you you should be ok untill first break.

As for sleeping I like Rainy Mood. The sound of the rain helps me sleep.
http://www.rainymood.com

If rain isn't your thing you can try relaxation stuff? In your case I would suggest earphones.There's a bunch of music for sleeping on YouTube that will help you turn off your brain. By focusing on the music you're able to fall asleep instead of constantly thinking all night/day. Find one that works for you and if you don't know where to start here's one I enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYk0F4O-zck
It's pretty short though but I combo it with Rainy mood. You'll wanna find one of the 60 minute+ ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle