Hardcore games that have slipped through the cracks.

Diabolus

Rookie
I'm sure many of you are as frustrated as I am about the current state of gaming. People these days have their noses up the ass of the online community. Amazing games come and go, but because they can't match the online standard, they are totally ignored.

Well, in this thread, it's time to take a stand. I've been around the block(as far as gaming forums are concerned), and this is BY FAR the most intelligent and hardcore group of gamers on the internet. So in this thread, we'll list the awesome games that 99% of the population do not even know exist. The games that remind us of times past.

I'll start. If you are a lucky owner of a PS2/PS3 60 gig. You NEED to pick up these titles: Samurai Showdown Anthology, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Street Fighter Collection, Metal Slug Anthology, Sonic's UItimate Genesis Collection, and...dare I say...Alien Hominid.

I know there are many more. I'm looking forward to the replies! :D

keepithowitis said:
Jet Set Radio and its variants. Truly a gem, especially coming from Sega late in its goodness.

I recently ordered Bangai-O off of Amazon. I'm sure, as a Sega fan, you probably know just how awesome that game truly was(DC game.) That's a really obscure game that hardly anyone knows about.

a i want the samurai showdown collection soooo bad ive only saw it once it stores but it was like 50 bucks so my wallet made me pass, but come on what a great game especially if you have the 6button ps2 street fighter pad

I'm not sure Metroid Prime Trilogy counts, but I can't mention that game enough. It's greatness still blows my mind...besides, the Wii needs more games like it.

If we're mentioning collections, don't ignore the Mega Man, and Mega Man X collections. Also, there's Midway Arcade Treasures 1,2 and 3, and Sonic Gems Collection.

How about Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2? Both are great Gamecube classics, quite difficult, and have crazy addictive qualities. I can also attest to how fun they are to play with little brothers and sisters. Sometimes they can even beat me! And that almost never happens!

Maybe I'll come back to this later, I'm not sure what else to bring up now...except:
Diabolus said:
...Sonic's UItimate Genesis Collection...
Sonic Mega Collection is better, IMO. You can't play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Genesis Collection, just Sonic 3 OR Sonic & Knuckles. With that in mind, why would you want to play a game at only HALF it's great potential? You wouldn't, that's why. Get SMC for Gamecube, or SMC + for the Xbox, since it's backwards-compatible with the 360.

Ninja Gaiden 2. Critical success, great follow up to Ninja Gaiden but now you can pick it up for 19.99 and I hardly come across anyone on live who has it in their games played list. Hard as hell, fun as hell and bloody as hell. It may not fit the criteria for a title that slipped throught he cracks but it was definitely overshadowed by big name releases featuring "multiplayer mayhem".

Unless you're a hardcore gamer or Japanese, I doubt you've ever heard of an Shin Megami Tensei game. Probably because they feature JRPG Masochism.

It's too early to tell yet, but I have a feeling that Muramasa will fall under this category. I don't have it yet, but I'm definitely getting it.

Lentium said:
I love the power-stone games, I wish capcom would make another.

That.

Also, for some oldschool PC goodness you have the Crusader series, Jagged Alliance 2, the orignal X-Com (UFO Defense for the EU people out there).
Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain, the first in the LoK series, is also a good top down RPGish game if you can work DOS-box or have a PS1 lying around.

Longo_2_guns said:
Unless you're a hardcore gamer or Japanese, I doubt you've ever heard of an Shin Megami Tensei game. Probably because they feature JRPG Masochism.

Those games are ridiculous(ly fun).

Throwing in Bust-A-Groove and Bust-A-Groove 2. Quite possibly some of the best rhythm games to have flown under the radar. Right there with Parappa.

god hand. funnest wackiest beat em up ever. spanking bad guys up too the sky was hilarious, and lets not forget being turned into a small dog.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
god hand. funnest wackiest beat em up ever. spanking bad guys up too the sky was hilarious, and lets not forget being turned into a small dog.

I've never played that, but I remember people saying it was made by Clover. Seems like the kind of game I need to track down.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:

Let's not forget the almighty poison chiwawas.

Shenmue 1 and 2

Zack and Wiki Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Okami

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series

Ninja Gaiden 2

All, from me ... for now. :D

Diabolus said:
I recently ordered Bangai-O off of Amazon. I'm sure, as a Sega fan, you probably know just how awesome that game truly was(DC game.) That's a really obscure game that hardly anyone knows about.

I've seen Bangai-O Spirits at my local game store for $15, used and in amazing condition. Didn't buy it at the time because I lacked the cash, but hopefully it'll still be there. Treasure had me hooked with Gunstar Super Heroes (Not as good as the original, I presume?)

And Etrian Odyssey I and II, The Dark Spire, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer (Getting turned into a f***ing riceball at floor 30... Now it ain't so funny), Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, Rondo of Swords and a few other Atlus games.

Etrian Odyssey defines old-school, mapping out your surroundings just like in the olden days, where you weren't given a map right down to the location of the bosses lair. Mixed with a savage difficulty and a beginning where a small collection of butterflies and a mole or two can cripple your party.

The Dark Spire, haven't had the pleasure of playing it, but I've heard that it's uncharacteristically hard, ruthless and old-school. The last one because you can turn on a feature called Classic-Mode, which turns the graphics into wireframe, music into beeps and boops, and monsters into 8-bit.

Mystery Dungeon and Izuna are both roguelikes.

Rondo of Swords is simply different, instead of just attacking one character, you can run through a multitude of them before they kick your ass. It has to be one of the most difficult DS games I've played, and trying to unlock the characters isn't the easiest of tasks (Cotton in particular, but she is so worth it)

When you say hardcore do you mean in difficulty or what? I only ask because it seems people are just mentioning underrated games.

Lethean said:
When you say hardcore do you mean in difficulty or what? I only ask because it seems people are just mentioning underrated games.

I think he means the latter. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod