Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul Tamburro

Executive Editor
Staff member
What is the best game in the main Mario series? Let us know, and come back to check the results next Thursday!

Super Mario 64? Anyone?

You forgot Super Mario RPG and Mario 64.

Mario 64 is my favourite, as it was truly revolutionary. I was too small to understand Mario RPG properly, but I did complete it I think.

So I had to vote for my second favourite: Super Mario World.

The vegetable unplugging of Mario 2 was oddly satisfying though!

Disclaimer: not a Switch owner, so no idea if Odyssey shakes things up.

I never owned an SNES so Super Mario World would probably be my favorite in an alternate timeline where my parents were richer! The N64 was the first console I bought with my own money, so pretty much all my favorite games are on it. Mario 64 it is for me.

I never owned an SNES so Super Mario World would probably be my favorite in an alternate timeline where my parents were richer! The N64 was the first console I bought with my own money, so pretty much all my favorite games are on it. Mario 64 it is for me.
Never owned an SNES myself either (except for my current SNES mini) but somehow managed to play all the great games from the era at friend's houses or by borrowing their consoles for a while.

Never owned an SNES myself either (except for my current SNES mini) but somehow managed to play all the great games from the era at friend's houses or by borrowing their consoles for a while.

Every single one of my friends had the SNES, so I played it quite a lot, but mostly games that were 2 players like Mortal Kombat, Goof Troop, Turtle In Time etc. I could never play those long games like Mario, Zelda or Metroid...or if I tried starting a new game, my friend's brothers and sisters (or themselves) would overwrite the save file.

I'm just not a huge fan of collect-a-thons.
I want to just go through a level real smooth and quick, and straightforward, linear maps are for me.

Every single one of my friends had the SNES, so I played it quite a lot, but mostly games that were 2 players like Mortal Kombat, Goof Troop, Turtle In Time etc. I could never play those long games like Mario, Zelda or Metroid...or if I tried starting a new game, my friend's brothers and sisters (or themselves) would overwrite the save file.

That sucks man. You should get yourself either an SNES mini or a DIY emulation machine to play those SNES-era games to your heart content. Totally worth it.

That sucks man. You should get yourself either an SNES mini or a DIY emulation machine to play those SNES-era games to your heart content. Totally worth it.

If I could get my hands on the SNES mini, I'd get it for sure. I did get a SNES as an adult though. Bought myself FF3 (FF6) with the box even though I played it on emulator before. This is so much better with the real thing. I even kept my tube tv to play it like in the old time. Can't get my hand on those rare, expensive ones like Earthbound though.

I'm just not a huge fan of collect-a-thons.
I want to just go through a level real smooth and quick, and straightforward, linear maps are for me.

You should try Super Mario 3D World and 3D Land sometime. They're short, linear levels for the most part, but with all the movement of the modern 3D Mario games.

Reactions: sli
If they made the SNES update-able with new ROMs every now and again, that would definitely be "shut up and take my money" meme worthy. Currently it just feels so... limited, in terms of games selection (though a very decent selection, but still not a lot).

When it comes to determining the best Mario game, it's like picking the brightest star in the sky – each game shines in its own way. However, many gamers and critics often point to "Super Mario Bros. 3" and "Super Mario 64" as top contenders.
"Super Mario Bros. 3," released on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), is celebrated for its inventive levels, memorable music, and the introduction of now-iconic power-ups like the Tanooki Suit. Its challenging yet engaging gameplay has secured its place in the hearts of many players.
On the other hand, "Super Mario 64," the first 3D adventure in the series for the Nintendo 64, is revered for revolutionizing the platforming genre. Its innovative controls, freedom of movement, and creative level design set a new standard for 3D games.
Both games have left a significant mark on the gaming industry, and their impact is still felt in game design today. The "best" Mario game often comes down to personal preference, nostalgia, and individual gaming experiences. Whether it's the classic charm of "Super Mario Bros. 3" or the groundbreaking 3D gameplay of "Super Mario 64," Mario games continue to capture the imagination of players around the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod