Google's new approach to china

Bretimus_v2 said:
Gotta love the internet. Now the good denizens of China can freely surf the web til it's off with their heads.

There's still the Chinas own firewalls that still stop citizen accessing certain information. Tiananmen, Tibet etc. related stuff that's harmful for their glorius reputation.

I'm kind of sad of where this kind of trend is heading. I mean, Iran and their firewall, Australia and their (purposed) firewall, China and their firewall, BRITAIN and their firewall...

How much longer will it be until each country has their own Internet Gestapo?

*DOOR CRASH*
STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER! KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!
Frank! check it out! He was watching Lost! *Mouse Click* He has the entire season of Lost!
So, bypassing the "Sweaty People on a Beach" filter, eh? It's scum like you that makes us decent Aussies look bad. Bag'em and Tag'em, make sure you get all of it. We'll lock this guy up for life.

Hmm, Google is leaving China because it has a smaller market share than Baidu? I'm going to say that's probably not the case.

Google has always held a strong second, and their market share has always grown, despite China's attempts to protect it's local brand. I'm guessing their leaving due to sheer frustration. China's protectionist policies and underhanded attempts at sabotage are really unbelievable. Image searches have never worked here, and for years the site gets shut down periodically. And let's not forget that Google caught tons of shit from the west when it originally came to China for agreeing to cooperate with the censorship in the first place.

As for Baidu, what a fucking joke of a search engine that is. Of course they have generated more revenue, because their functionality is geared towards pleasing their advertisers than actually appealing to users. The whole first page is sponsored links, which you can't even tell is the case because there is just a small '广告' icon in the corner. Unlike Google which has always maintained its functionality is geared toward the actual user. Having sold Search ads here let me tell you, selling Baidu was way easier.

Also, when Google first announced that it was leaving China, they got sassy and removed most of the search filters from their results. And searches brought up sensitive material about tiananmen square and stuff like that.
What you probably don't know is that at the exact same time the same results magically appeared on Baidu search results.
Yes, Baidu was STEALING googles search results.
Like I said, joke of a search engine.

Before you try and hate on Google, realize that they represent some great ideals. They are also one of the few Western businesses that are standing up for American values and giving the big middle finger to the oppressive, censorship happy overlords here in the good ol PRC.

Rant over.
Anyway, google is now just google HK. And gmail still works (yay)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod