Goldeneye 64 + 46" LCD TV = Disappointment ?

3pidemiC

Rookie
Hello everyone,

I just recently moved into my first apartment. One of the first things that I did was splurge and buy a really nice tv. My television of choice was a 46" Samsung 120Hz LCD. It is great and I am really happy with it. I've since hooked up all of the game systems to it and have enjoyed how they look and play on the large screen. But today, I finally received a replacement controller for my Nintendo 64 and I decided to pop in Goldeneye 64 to give it a whirl. I must say that I was really disappointed on how this game looks. I realize that the n64 wasn't a very high resolution system and the graphics definitely show that. But the stretched out picture really causes the dated graphics to look quite bad. I was just curious if there was anything that I could do to improve the picture quality? Also, would the Expansion Pack for the n64 help this any? I never used that accessory back in the day so I'm not really sure if it's "high resolution" feature would work for this specific game.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've encountered similar, albeit audio, problems getting my gramophone records to play through my Bose music system.

The N64 was designed only for standard resolution TV's, so it is going to stretch on a widescreen TV and will appear a bit blocky and pixelated in high resolution screens.

However, correct if I'm wrong, but I do believe Goldeneye had an option for widescreen somewhere in the pause menu. I don't know if that will help any, since I'm sure the standard for "widescreen" may have been a lot different back then than it is today.

I would recommend you look and see if your TV has a display scaling function. What that does, is allow you to play media (in this case, games) designed for standard resolution (4:3 aspect ratio) on a widescreen (usually 16:9) without stretching the display to fit the screen. If your TV has such a feature, use it. However do note that such a feature will have letter boxes on the left and right of the screen.

Also, if you can, find an HD upscaler for standard AV cables. What its supposed to do is take a standard resolution signal and upscale it to a high-definition signal, which should improve visual quality, things will be less blurry, etc. However they're not always perfect (since true HD signal has to come from something designed for HD, which the N64 wasn't), and the better ones can be kind of expensive.

My TV does have the scaling feature to it. I know I can turn it down to 4:3, but I was hoping that there would be a way to play it in widescreen somehow, I'll look into that "pause menu" feature.

Thanks.

it doesnt really matter what you do to your tv its going to look pretty bad just get an old tv and hook it up to that, but i cant even tell you how awsome it was to play my nes on my hd tv mario never looked so awsomly square

Use the Expansion pak, and look for some Component cables for N64.
Combine those 2, and it might look SLIGHTLY LESS CRAP!
WOO!

I'm not positive you can get component cables for the N64 I know you can get S-Video cables pretty easily.

It is still going to look like crap.

you cant be serious

you expect a over 10 year old game to look good after playing shit in high def? i have never played high def games cause i dont have a nice TV but i have seen them at best buy and they had gears of war hooked up to it and that shit looked amazing.

golden eye is a 64 bit game of course its about to look like shit especially blown up on that huge tv

And Both Microsoft and Nintendo was trying to bring this game to their consoles... but of course they couldnt agree on terms...

but if they did, then maybe they would have released goldeneye in hi def!!! atleast on xbox anyway...

we'll never know....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod