Genre defining games

I grew up with Final Fantasy and Crash Bandicoot. So I bum RPGs and Platformers. Japanese RPGs rock my world.

Thief 2 to me is probably the best Thief game in the series and my greatest achievement was beating it on the hardest difficulty.

Baldur's Gate defined Western RPGs and put Bioware on the map for me.

For me, it was Daggerfall not Morrowind nor Oblivion showed me what a free roaming RPG was like.

Let's see...I could go on and on about this, but I'll just mention some of the more important ones in my head.

Putt-Putt Joins the Parade defined point-and-click.

Syphon Filter defined covert-ops/espionage.

Spyro defined 3D open world platforming.

Street Fighter II defined fighters.

Dynasty Warriors 3 defined hack-and-slash.

Call of Duty defined first-person shooters.

Resident Evil defined survival horror, Silent Hill defined psychological horror.
Metal Gear Solid defined story-telling in games
Ocarina of Time defined 3rd person targeting
Grand Theft Auto PS2/Xbox era defined open-world enviroments.

Ting, I disgree with Call of Duty defining first person shooters. Maybe it's a generation gap thing but I personally feel that credit goes to Goldeneye. I agree with your others though.

The Curse of Monkey Island for Adventures
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for platformers
Killer7 for god knows what

WickedLiquid said:
Ting, I disagree with Call of Duty defining first person shooters. Maybe it's a generation gap thing but I personally feel that credit goes to Goldeneye. I agree with your others though.
It's true, I just didn't play it much since I didn't own it. But in a dual analog sense, it has to be Call of Duty.

Dual analog, definitely goes to Call of Duty...I feel though that HALO really defined the Multiplayer FPS. While COD has influenced the way they handle ranking, perks, unlocks in MP.

I'd say Halo might've been the one that brought console FPS games to the mainstream. While Goldeneye was the first one to do it correctly on the consoles. Quake and the first Half-Life do deserve some mention at least on the PC side. I mean, there is a reason why there's Quakecon every year.

Since I went with PS2 instead of XBOX the genre defining FPS for me is Ghost Recon 2, it was also my introduction to online gaming.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Online PS2 games...ha. I'd laugh more but I used to play GR2 a lot too.

I loved GR2, honestly I haven't found a online FPS that I enjoyed more. I tried to get online not to long ago but the servers were gone...memories.

For me, Tenchu is what got me into stealth games. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past got me into action-adventure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle