Games you played, but nobody else did in 2013

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by danielrbischoff, Jan 6, 2014.

1. danielrbischoff

Hey everyone. After reading Master_Craig's impassioned argument in favor of Splinter Cell: Blacklist (up against the mighty juggernaut of Grand Theft Auto V, a pitiable situation for any game in a popularity contest) I realized that Sam Fisher's latest game was actually pretty good and an extremely small number of people played it in 2013. It's bound for Steam sales and retailer discounts, you'll be able to buy a copy of Blacklist new in like two weeks at about $20, if you haven't already.

Still, what are some games you (and maybe very few other people) played in 2013 and that no one else played?

2. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

The Room for iPad. A really clever, atmospheric, puzzle game. The sequel just came out, too. I need to get on that.

3. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

4. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I knew the PC guys would bring some hardcore shit.

5. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Rogue Legacy

6. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm waiting for the Vita version

7. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Dear Esther.

8. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I got that in a Humble Bundle but I don't have any desire to play it really.

9. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Does anyone here play Dust514?

10. Starling

Starling Novice

Primordia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvWQi_5fsw

What can I do, I miss the classic point-and-click adventure games where you have to think and make connections to progress.

Also, Strike Suit Zero

It has an amazing soundtrack, authored by the same guy who did Homeworld soundtrack which I also played a lot last year.

11. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Dude, I found my gameboy color a month ago and played some Donkey Kong Land. That was one hot afternoon.

12. Affen

Affen Rookie

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Unique roguelike that's based on moving and doing actions to a certain rhytm. Supports DDR floormat too.

other one was Steamworld Dig that I got for 3DS. Reminded me of motherload so it got my attention. Good for short bursts of gaming.

13. danielrbischoff

I totally missed The Wonderful 101, despite enjoying what I played at a few trade shows.
    That game looks fucking cool. I did play a little of Strike Suit Zero at a meeting with the developer, but never got further hands-on.
    I know, I know... I didn't buy during the Steam sale but I'll keep a look out.

14. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It only happens to be one of the best games of 2013.

15. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

But is it better than Heavy Rain?

16. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

Ikachan which is made by the same guy who made Cave Story. You could download the game here: http://www.tinsanity.net/ikachan/. Think it's also out on the 3DS or something too.

17. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Hmm...

Dillon Rolling Western for the 3DS. Downloadable, tower defense strategy game. Really good, really cute.

18. HK-47

HK-47 Rookie

Avadon: The Black Fortress, picked up in a Humble Bundle previously and got 87 hours out of it, packs in quite a bit of content and is Sound/Graphics< Everything else. Restarted a time or two but definitely something I'd replay.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/

Dungeons of Dredmor, game was probably less than $5 with DLC and probably nobody else bought it on Steam. My most played game on Steam and I got more than my money's worth. RPG goodness with depth, an excellent mod community, the ability to make it a roguelike with permadeath/hard mode, humor and all in all, a fun game to play.

http://dungeonsofdredmor.com/

Tidalis, a nice little puzzle game from the Arcen Humble Bundle, still haven't gotten through the story yet but it's pretty fun and creating snap moves once blocks clear is rewarding when it causes another chain reaction for muchos points.

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/tidalis-features

One more, Skyward Collapse from the same Arcen HB. Managing two warring factions and you have to maintain the balance between the two while contending with random events and some real game changers. Usually ends with the land in ruins, one side nearly overpowering the other, or the main land destroyed with one superpowered unit holding off the hoard. The DLC introducing Japanese mythos is a drastic change to the Norse/Greek factions and it's fun constantly tipping the scales, trying to salvage the previous mess up with another action that wrecks the balance.

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/skyward-features

I tip my hipster hat to this. Never finished it but was still worth it.

19. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, I appreciate that Daniel... when I read the thread about Splinter Cell: Blacklist VS Grand Theft Auto V I knew I was going to get completely stomped. Still, it's cool, I enjoyed both games regardless.

Um... if we're talking about games that my friends "iRL" haven't played but I have, it would be Shadowrun Returns. NONE of my friends have played that game.

20. HunterFire11

HunterFire11 Rookie

007 Quantum of Solace