Games that didn't age well

There are alot of video games out there that haven't aged well. What game comes to your mind when you think of this topic? and why?

The original Resident Evil because the camera angles sucked and the conrols were cluncky and lets not forget about the voice acting.

(Finually someone responded !!) I think that the original Phantasy Star is a perfect example of games not aging well. The battle system was unstrategic (and completley random), and the entire flow of the game (from progressing through the story to buying items) was 90% linear.

You guys do realize that Tomb Raider was a fucking mind blowing game at the time it was released? It broke new ground other games had not yet broken, both for it's graphics and story.
If you say Tomb Raider has not aged well (compared to today's games), then my friends we might as well slam the nail in the coffin on every single game produced before the PS2.

:(

masterchris said:
You guys do realize that Tomb Raider was a f****** mind blowing game at the time it was released? It broke new ground other games had not yet broken, both for it's graphics and story.
If you say Tomb Raider has not aged well (compared to today's games), then my friends we might as well slam the nail in the coffin on every single game produced before the PS2.

Tomb Raider remains an important game historically, but it hasn't aged well, due primarily to the aforementioned clunky controls. Just because something is old doesn't mean it hasn't aged well. Galaga, for example, is still endlessly entertaining.

8bitgamer said:
Tomb Raider remains an important game historically, but it hasn't aged well, due primarily to the aforementioned clunky controls. Just because something is old doesn't mean it hasn't aged well. Galaga, for example, is still endlessly entertaining.
Now I disagree. I still find Tomb Raider astonishingly beautiful and very detailed. Some of those levels are breath taking, and the music is just so epic.

:(

Most games. I tried to play Doom 2 again but the lack of mouse control pissed me off and I quit after the second level.

masterchris said:
You guys do realize that Tomb Raider was a f****** mind blowing game at the time it was released? It broke new ground other games had not yet broken, both for it's graphics and story.

Agree. You could say the same thing about the 1st Resident Evil.

As far as not aging well, I guess I'll have to go back and play them a bit. I have both. Right now I can't imagine not liking them.

joeblow said:
masterchris said:

Agree. You could say the same thing about the 1st Resident Evil.

As far as not aging well, I guess I'll have to go back and play them a bit. I have both. Right now I can't imagine not liking them.
I think it's the kids these days...everything's about the graphics with them ;)

If they have that much difficulty playing a PSX game, imagine if they tried a Genesis game? NES? Colecovision? Intellivision? ...........or that atari junk..........

Aged Games

I'd go as far to say GoldenEye. Singleplayer is still very fun-- don't get me wrong about that. But the other draw to the game, the multiplayer, pales in comparison to Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 (our current shooter gods). It's overly difficult to aim, the framerate is atrocious, and the resolution in four-player splitscreen makes it difficult to see someone down a simple hallway. GoldenEye, you were a king, but your time is fleeting.

I remember playing Altered Beast alot. I played it recently and I must say.... eww

not only are the controls sluggish and the sound glitchy...it's .... lets just say.... it's really really really gay. literaly!

POWERED UP!

LinksOcarina said:
Final Fantasy 7.

I just find it boring now. Lame story, weaker visuals, and the combat is slow and time consuming.

I completely agree. I never played it when it originally came out so when I finally got a PS2 I borrowed a copy from a friend and tried it out. After about 15 hours I gave up and returned it. It was ugly to look at, the story was dull, and the combat was awful.

In general I think that most RPGs that have turn-based combat haven't aged well. I've been playing through Super Mario RPG again and I hate battling in it as it just takes forever. At least the cartoony look of it has saved the visuals though, plus any Mario game where you can team up with Bowser promises to have a semi-unique story.

mattimeo48 said:
LinksOcarina said:
Final Fantasy 7.

I just find it boring now. Lame story, weaker visuals, and the combat is slow and time consuming.

I completely agree. I never played it when it originally came out so when I finally got a PS2 I borrowed a copy from a friend and tried it out. After about 15 hours I gave up and returned it. It was ugly to look at, the story was dull, and the combat was awful.

In general I think that most RPGs that have turn-based combat haven't aged well. I've been playing through Super Mario RPG again and I hate battling in it as it just takes forever. At least the cartoony look of it has saved the visuals though, plus any Mario game where you can team up with Bowser promises to have a semi-unique story.
you quit after 15 hours! why not quit sooner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod