Gamer Evolution.com

Yo!
I'm resubmitting my pitch at shaking up the admin scene.
I'll get this part out of the way quickly: I'm not targeting a moderator(s). This is not about pettiness, it's about Game Revolution's success and longevity, and I know we can all get on board with that, plus there's nothing in this pitch that says you can't renominate yourself for the same position you currently hold.

I posted this idea sometime last year. It needed some polishing then, and it probably still does now and that's fine, but the infrastructure to the most important parts are already in place. I'll also make this point clear early on: This isn't some play at currying favor.

5km6nr.png

• Move Daniel to the GM position because he's on payroll, wiping the slate clean of everyone else currently holding a position as moderator.
• Open registration for moderators to the community; more traffic when newbies find out they get equal billing.
• The most active threads are ones where everyone gets a say, like our contests and Rumbles and Survivors, so using that trend, forum users may vote on who they'd like to see as moderators every 4 months, anyone's eligible for the 4 month position. Like things the way they are? Don't vote. Want to nominate yourself for a moderator position? Do it. Pros and Cons for both decisions, and that's the point. Your involvement dictates the amount of change around you.
• Because forum users are voting on the mods there's an instant incentive for the newer members who'll join; this idea pretty much polices itself. It's a gimmick with obvious benefits. I'm talking new members, new traffic, new revenue, new resources, new talent, new ideas. GR had a store at one time.
• The forum users would also vote on 1 moderator who'll have a 6 month stint at the position. Only those with the "Old Skool" medal in their bio would be eligible for the 6 month moderator seat. Again, this is based off the medal system that's already in place, so there's no new coding on GR's part. Click on my name on the left side, find out if you'd be eligible.
20gf7eo.png

It's incentive to stick around, becoming an active member of the community.

Expect more from us. This is how.

signbot.gif

It has nothing to do with Longo. I don't want people to draw parallels. It actually has to do with the downtime we've had recently. I was thinking about re-posting this earlier today. Longo treating someone horribly(!) is just par for the course at this point. That's a joke. But, oh boy, here we go.

I enjoyed the title of thread.

I dont think its a lack or moderators or new moderators that is really effecting the quality of GR. I think its certain peoples attitudes and negative Social interactions that drive down the quality and accessibility of the community to good people. We still have something special though and are better than over populated gaming communities.

I support your wanting to make GR a better place.

However I dont really get how making moderation status a carrot on a stick, will make new quality members join the forums. If someone only comes here,or stays, in order to suck up to get moderator status I dont think that would make them a quality moderator or member. It tends to attract egotistical drama queens. Maybe they will generate new good content, If we are lucky.

Its like the guild that has been around for 16 years with me on the leaders board for the past 8. We always used to say "If you have to ask to be on the leaders board you probably don't deserve to be there" The best leaders are already leading. They don't need a title or instructions. They just do what needs to be done.

Do I think a little community democracy would make the community feel more engaged? Yes
Do I think it will attract good new members to the website? Negligible

In the end I still support your idea.

Thanks. I agree that it's gimmicky, but it's a gimmick with a high ceiling. The risk:reward ratio is minimal, because it policies itself. No one's going to vote for egotists and drama queens. That's democracy talking! There's more incentive to become renown for something on a positive spin.

"If you have to ask to be on the leaders board you probably don't deserve to be there" is what someone holding a position for 8 years would say. I'd like to steer us out of that direction, no offense. This isn't a guild, this is an ad supported, for profit website. Capitalize on free content while you have it.

I appreciate that input and thanks for taking some time out to read and critique. As you noted, this is about making GR a better place. I've been around since 2001, I know the pulse of the boards (and main site) by now. A lot of us do..
This is all stuff no one would be forced to do. And by not voting or nominating others, you're actually opening the door a little bit more to those who would like to participate and run for their own shot at becoming a moderator. Hoping others will read it. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Optimus-Crime said:
"If you have to ask to be on the leaders board you probably don't deserve to be there" is what someone holding a position for 8 years would say. I'd like to steer us out of that direction, no offense. This isn't a guild, this is an ad supported, for profit website. Capitalize on free content while you have it.
Only way holding a position for 8 years is bad is if your inactive or not doing your job. Being a guild it helps because those leaders are always actively playing the games with the guild. And there are times in which we ask inactive leaders to step down.

And you make a great point this isnt a guild. I can see how that leadership style could be a detriment in this situation.

This is a ad supported website, I would like to see the community improve, and I agree the risk is small. So I support this movement.

The turn over doesn't help me though. I need people to be reliable so I don't have to clean spam and ban people left and right. Just my two cents, but I'm not about lord over the forums. You guys pretty much run yourselves here.

We do run ourselves. There's minimal spam, and no one to ban left or right. You could keep a reliable mod or two on board, to show the new mods the ropes. Keep Longo, Keep Lethean - anyone (though not in the 6 month setting, only so "Old Skool-ers" have something to shoot for). Pruning doesn't take long to learn, but you'd be GM, it's all your choice. Build on that good structure.
You're going to want to reup eventually. You can get ahead of it all now.

Let this serve as a litmus test for your ideas Crime. Anyone who wants to be a mod can post here and say so. I'm sure I'll find something useful for everyone to do around the site.

Have you guys ever entered iPhone cheats into a database before?

There's a screening process that involes who can wear the Slippy costume the longest alone in a room with Dan.

...wait, no one else had to do that?

Hahaha that's so true. Wicked lasted the longest.

3 months, four days, 9 hours. I'm pretty sure he pissed in the suit. Probably shit too. I mean he never took it off, not once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod