First Impressions of Mass Effect 2

Never played Dragon Age II, but I've heard horrible things about it.

For me I think I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 because... well, first off I really enjoyed the overall presentation, the graphics from the first to second game were a big jump. I also liked how the cover system became more streamlined, able to vault over obstacles etc. I also enjoyed the darker approach to the story and the characters introduced, such as the Illusive Man. I also actually enjoyed the shorter missions. The missions in Mass Effect 1 felt way too long.

With Mass Effect 1, what put me off the most was three things. 1 - I felt the missions went for too long and to me, started to feel repetitive. 2 - exploration felt bland, as the environments (particularly when driving the mako) felt very empty (and yeah, I hated the mako) and 3 - inventory was very cluttered.

I guess overall, I preferred ME2's simpler approach. It made the experience more enjoyable for me.

In ME2 however, I absolutely hated mining for minerals, which sucks because if you want the best ending, you better mine all the minerals.

ME1 is one of the few games I've played multiple times from start to finish - I think I finished it like 4 different times.

ME2 I don't even remember the story it was that bland.

Mass Effect 1 was in no way a perfect game. The first few hours are really boring, especially the Citadel, and the Mako sections are tedious to a T, but it has charm. The menu design, the HUD design, especially the aiming reticle, the handsomely voiced codex, all of it gives the game a unique feel.

Then there's Mass Effect 2, or rather, "Mass Effect 2: Hey kids! Look at this cool game that's hip and rad and has everything you love from popular first-person shooters like those from prestigious publisher EA® Challenge Everything™!"

Quickfire complaints. Ready go.

The aiming reticle sucks.
Aiming in general sucks.
Weapons still don't need ammo, but they need "thermal packs" that act just like ammo? What the f--?
Shepard becomes the Million Credit Man.
The 'previously on Mass Effect' comic features several mistakes, such as Ashley's magically expanding breasts, pictures of Garrus and Tali dual-wielding pistols, forcefully implying Shepard's opinions by calling Liara and all Asari "beautiful," and removing the options for certain decisions.
The ship sucks.
Loading screens suck.
Hacking sucks, and there's no way to bypass a failed hack.
Salvage is still in the game, but only to instantly reward you with credits upon finding any.
No options to cp Miranda.
The Illusive Man is literally the worst thing about the game.

Now, when I started playing Mass Effect 2, I immediately got that "nope" feeling I got from Jak II. The game is such a radical departure from the original that it makes me physically uncomfortable, but Jak II turned out to be a remarkable game despite this initial reaction. However, I also had far fewer gripes about Jak II. It at least felt familiar enough for me to be able to get right into it. I'm still going to try to beat Mass Effect 2, but it's going to be much more difficult to want to, given everything I've listed above.

Seriously, it's no wonder why EA is so commonly regarded as the worst company...ever.

De-Ting said:
Mass Effect 1 was in no way a perfect game. The first few hours are really boring, especially the Citadel, and the Mako sections are tedious to a T, but it has charm. The menu design, the HUD design, especially the aiming reticle, the handsomely voiced codex, all of it gives the game a unique feel.

True. I did dig the soundtrack of Mass Effect 1, especially Virmire. I also loved the sound effect produced by the assault rifles.

De-Ting said:
Quickfire complaints. Ready go.

My body is ready.

De-Ting said:
The aiming reticle sucks.

I had no problems with it.

De-Ting said:
Aiming in general sucks.

I felt the aiming was improved over the first game.

De-Ting said:
Weapons still don't need ammo, but they need "thermal packs" that act just like ammo? What the f--?

Yeah, that was stupid, I didn't understand that. I think the cool down of weapons is better than reloading with thermal clips.

De-Ting said:
Shepard becomes the Million Credit Man.

I actually liked this part of the story. :p

De-Ting said:
The 'previously on Mass Effect' comic features several mistakes, such as Ashley's magically expanding breasts, pictures of Garrus and Tali dual-wielding pistols, forcefully implying Shepard's opinions by calling Liara and all Asari "beautiful," and removing the options for certain decisions.

The digital comic is pretty bleh. It's their attempt to bring players up to speed who haven't played the first game, which could have been done a lot better, actually. I agree that some of the artwork was a bit dodgy as you mentioned, same with Shepard's forced opinion.

De-Ting said:
The ship sucks.

Preferred it over Mass Effect 1.

De-Ting said:
Loading screens suck.

God yes. Loading times were atrocious.

De-Ting said:
Hacking sucks, and there's no way to bypass a failed hack.

I kinda liked hacking, except I didn't like it that if you failed, you couldn't try again.

De-Ting said:
Salvage is still in the game, but only to instantly reward you with credits upon finding any.

Yeah, and the amount of credits you got for it was bugger all.

De-Ting said:
No options to cp Miranda.

CP?

De-Ting said:
The Illusive Man is literally the worst thing about the game.

I really liked him as a character.

De-Ting said:
Now, when I started playing Mass Effect 2, I immediately got that "nope" feeling I got from Jak II. The game is such a radical departure from the original that it makes me physically uncomfortable, but Jak II turned out to be a remarkable game despite this initial reaction. However, I also had far fewer gripes about Jak II. It at least felt familiar enough for me to be able to get right into it. I'm still going to try to beat Mass Effect 2, but it's going to be much more difficult to want to, given everything I've listed above.

I hope your experience with the game improves. I suggest beating the game. In my opinion, the best way to play Mass Effect is to play all the trilogies together, back to back, with the story line DLCs installed. Makes for a wonderful experience.

Master_Craig said:
I really liked Mass Effect 2. :(

Perhaps I am a simple man. :p

That means you're calling me simple by proxy.
But then again, I was sold on being able to romance Tali.

used44 said:
I agree with Craig. Mass Effect 2 is great

1099.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod