Final Fantasy XIII

Rakon

Rookie
Almost put this one in Sony...

It's out in a few days here and in the States. It's been getting decent reviews, but is a lot more linear than previous titles. It seems that this game is a late bloomer, as you really start to get into it in the later stages.

Whose excited about this one? I'm still holding out for God of War 3, but this is probably next on my list (pending a huge price drop for Arkham Asylum or Tekken 6).

Apparently the first 30 hours are linear to help keep the plot in balance.

We'll see how that affects the overall game.

i'm waiting for god of war 3 myself. i'll pick this up in time.

in honestly though, doesn't matter to me how linear the game is. most fps are linear and you don't hear much complaints about that. why is everyone so concerned about linear games lately? open world games are linear when it comes down to it. the differance? bigger set peices.

FPS games aren't RPG games. It's a different animal. You wouldn't be upset if FFXIII didn't have a great multiplayer. RPGs are supposed to be non-linear, making each time you play it a whole new experience. This is especially the case in Final Fantasy games, known for their extreme amount of non-linearity.

Not surprised by its linear structure. Practically all of the other FFs had you go from plot point to plot point in all but the last disc, where finally had a ship and a f***** large map to explore.

I agree. Untill you got to the last disk where you finally gotten an Airship or something similar every FF game was linear. You either couldn't go somewhere because you didn't have some sort of an ability or the correct vehicle.

Don't know why the hell they preach linearity on this game. :)

I want to hear a bit more regarding this before I decide to get it. I've read the reviews, but the FFs have been getting weaker ever since 9...

Rakon said:
FPS games aren't RPG games. It's a different animal. You wouldn't be upset if FFXIII didn't have a great multiplayer. RPGs are supposed to be non-linear, making each time you play it a whole new experience. This is especially the case in Final Fantasy games, known for their extreme amount of non-linearity.

Uuuuh... what?! "Extreme amount of non-linearity"? FF games are among the most linear games ever: you usually can't even choose your stat upgrades when you level up, let alone change events in the storyline...

I dont know why theyre making a massive fuss about this linear thing. You wont notice the difference. FF10 was linear as fuck until you got an airship, and that is one of my favourite FFs. No towns and dungeons though, but I'll just do what I normally do - level well in the area I'm currently in until I think I've levelled enough to move on!

Almost 24 hours away!! :O (For UK :p)

Kakulukia said:
Rakon said:

Uuuuh... what?! "Extreme amount of non-linearity"? FF games are among the most linear games ever: you usually can't even choose your stat upgrades when you level up, let alone change events in the storyline...

Umm... no? (Here's why)

FF games are extremely non-linear closer to the final 1/3 of the game. You have a massive world map that you can travel across, and encounter hundreds of side quests that you don't even have to do, each of which with their own story line and own plot choices. Yeah, you can never change events in most games' main story archs, but that's because that is how the game was coded and all-in-all most games are like that. Even in games where you think you're making story specific choices most of the time you're just choosing which linear path to follow.

Now, about the stat upgrades, being able to customize a character's stats isn't necessarily part of whether or not it's linear. WoW won't let you customize your stats and that's one of the least linear games I've ever played. In fact, I don't think any JRPG I've ever played has let me customize my stats, but that's because each character is leveled up to optimize their class instead of let you decide what would be best for their class.

malakian said:
I want to hear a bit more regarding this before I decide to get it. I've read the reviews, but the FFs have been getting weaker ever since 9...

Think it would be a wise decision if they went on hiatus for a while. To rethink stuff a bit over. Can't keep a franchise fresh and exciting for more than two decades with consecutive games coming out. :)

Amazon should be delivering the game to me tomorrow! ...and then I get to wait another day to play because of other stuff.

But I just find the hubbub over the linearity humorous, both the reaction to it and the development team's explanation, which is pretty much, "Sorry for taking away your control but our story is more important than you doing shit."

Better be some epic story. But it won't be anything groundbreaking. It'll follow the same model any other FF title does. Yet, I'll play it because it looks beautiful and the battle system sounds fun.

I'm excited about the levelling process. Apparently it's similar to the sphere grid from 10...which I loved!

I'm sorry, but sandbox doesn't always equal quality. At the same time, I'm not the biggest FF fanboy either.

Personally, I say let the designers make the game they set out for and let the product speak for itself. Don't think it's going to be good...don't buy it. Noone complains that each GoW is basically the same game, yet people are falling all over themselves to get it.

I like the idea of FF13 being a quicker paced action game though. Hopefully it all comes together well.

The Sphere Grid was god awful in my opinion... The license point working in conjunction with actual level ups like in Final Fantasy 12 was the way to go.

It looks like they got rid of random battles again and adopted a blue dragon style battle system, which is great.

Speaking of which.. what do you mean by not being fresh Kijan? FF12 completely reconstructed the series and offered some of the most non-linear gameplay in a JRPG to date...

That is true. The FF12 story was crap in my opinion (or I didnt understand half of it :roll:) So I had as much fun just roaming round, levelling up and doing those monster hunts.

That's the thing, Bretimus. If there's an RPG like, say, Dragon Age, which allows for vast control, then other RPGs must be exactly alike!

Fall in line!

crazycracker22 said:
The Sphere Grid was god awful in my opinion... The license point working in conjunction with actual level ups like in Final Fantasy 12 was the way to go.

It looks like they got rid of random battles again and adopted a blue dragon style battle system, which is great.

Speaking of which.. what do you mean by not being fresh Kijan? FF12 completely reconstructed the series and offered some of the most non-linear gameplay in a JRPG to date...

Too be totally honest ... I don't really know. But I've played all Final Fantasy games bar number 3,4,5 and 8. They are doing their best and I know that. But none of their stories can surprise me anymore because they rehash the same things over and over again. Or maybe I'm the only one thinking that.

And I don't really agree with you on the whole 12 reconstruction thing. In my opinion FF 12 was FF 11 in offline mode. :) But of course the LP thing was a good addition. Kind of sad they didn't keep it. :)

The story was a bit too political though; a bit convoluted. >.>

Ted_Wolff said:
That's the thing, Bretimus. If there's an RPG like, say, Dragon Age, which allows for vast control, then other RPGs must be exactly alike!

Fall in line!

Consider my tail tucked... :cry:

I love Choose Your Own Adventures! All I'm trying to get across is...conformity leads to a lot of games that llok like rip-offs: GoW>Dante's Inferno>Clash of the Titans, etc. and Metal Gear Solid>Splinter Cell>Syphon Filter, etc.

Sometimes it's nice to experience Dragon Age openess (which I'm falling in love with, we're going to have a weekend away together soon); othertimes it's nice to be part of a narrative (just make sure that you have a strong story).

I guess linear gameplay comes down to one thing: strong story. If the player feels drawn into the story and connects with what's going on, then you have an experience akin to seeing a good play. If not, you're going to highlight stupid decisions, annoying characters, etc. I've found that I usually don't connect with the plots that come from Japan and I strike it up to cultural differences (and effeminate male leads).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod