Fedor!!!! NOOOOO!!!!

I'll just post the first thing that came up in google, and just guess that it's about elephant sex gone wrong.

'Bigfoot' tramples Fedor, advances in GP

Haha. Yeah I just didn't know what to type really at the time so I put that.

Basically, an MMA legend, Fedor Emelianenko, who didn't lose a fight in a decade, lost via submission last year. This was his first fight since then in a Grand Prix Heavyweight tournament. He won the first round, lost the second but due to his eye being so swollen they stopped the fight, resulting in a TKO loss for Fedor....And him saying this may be the time to retire :(.

I'm not a hardcore fedor fanboy like most; however, I am glad to see he's decided to retire when it's smart, and isn't going to pull a couture or something similar and completely destroy his image. Retire before you become nothing.

intoTheRain said:
I'm not a hardcore fedor fanboy like most; however, I am glad to see he's decided to retire when it's smart, and isn't going to pull a couture or something similar and completely destroy his image. Retire before you become nothing.

I'm certainly not a fanboy but going for nearly a decade undefeated is no small feat. His retirement isn't certain though. I don't think Randy destroyed his image. He lost to Big Nog and Brock Lesnar, rebounded beating Mark Coleman and Brandon Vera and will be facing Lyoto Machida. Prior to his back to back losses he beat Tim Sylvia before he was an overweight, under motivated giant and Gabriel Gonzaga He's better at LHW. What do I think of his chances against Machida? Well, Randy is one of my favourites and a really nice guy but....He has a wrestlers chance and that's about it. I want to see him win though.

Lethean said:
intoTheRain said:

I'm certainly not a fanboy but going for nearly a decade undefeated is no small feat. His retirement isn't certain though. I don't think Randy destroyed his image. He lost to Big Nog and Brock Lesnar, rebounded beating Mark Coleman and Brandon Vera and will be facing Lyoto Machida. Prior to his back to back losses he beat Tim Sylvia before he was an overweight, under motivated giant and Gabriel Gonzaga He's better at LHW. What do I think of his chances against Machida? Well, Randy is one of my favourites and a really nice guy but....He has a wrestlers chance and that's about it. I want to see him win though.

I let my dislike for Randy talk for me a bit there. "Completely destroy" was a stronger word choice than I should have chosen =)

I still stand by my opinion that Randy should have retired a long time ago though.

Haha well I can agree with that. I think the best time to retire may have been after his defeat over Gabriel Gonzaga. Or now. I mean, going out on a 3 fight win streak to get your record back up - No shame in that.

Hey, hey, hey. Couture is awesome. I think people throw away good fighters and good careers without any thought in the MMA fanpool. You can be on top one fight and a complete bum the next, and then making a comeback on the following. It's BS. Couture has accomplished feats that few men could claim at the ages he did them.

Fedor should've fought a couple of UFC fights first. Not even big fights, just mix it up with a larger, more diverse selection of skilled opponents. But he is getting older and nobody knows his body and capability better then him. Maybe camps are getting harder?

Bretimus_v2 said:
Hey, hey, hey. Couture is awesome. I think people throw away good fighters and good careers without any thought in the MMA fanpool. You can be on top one fight and a complete bum the next, and then making a comeback on the following. It's BS. Couture has accomplished feats that few men could claim at the ages he did them.

Fedor should've fought a couple of UFC fights first. Not even big fights, just mix it up with a larger, more diverse selection of skilled opponents. But he is getting older and nobody knows his body and capability better then him. Maybe camps are getting harder?

Randy Couture to me, is very often a boring fighter. I also don't like him as a person, particularly because of the way he treats women.

I never said I didn't like him as a fighter, I just said I didn't like him, though there are 100's of fighters I would rather watch.

I've been an MMA fan since about UFC 20, watching every single event, as well as Pride. I'm not your new MMA fan that goes to UFC and gets drunk and boos every single thing that happens because I think UFC is just a new form of the WWE. I know it inside and out, so don't lump me in that new obnoxious category.

This is why he didn't sign with UFC despite being offered ludicrous amounts of money. Him and M-1 Global realized there's more cash in it to sign on with a smaller promotion, beat cans there and live off his legacy, rather than get a big wad of cash upfront, get wrecked, and than be worthless.

Probably is he got wrecked regardless. No one ever claimed Werdum in the top 5 Heavyweights, ever, he was a reject from the UFC because he couldn't hack it there.

Antonia Silva? Not a top contender either, a solid fighter sure but I couldn't see him bringing any trouble to someone like Dos Santos Jr.

fedor has 0 options but to retire, he's not going to get signed by anyone for anything but less than half of his current demands.

Icepick said:
This is why he didn't sign with UFC despite being offered ludicrous amounts of money. Him and M-1 Global realized there's more cash in it to sign on with a smaller promotion, beat cans there and live off his legacy, rather than get a big wad of cash upfront, get wrecked, and than be worthless.

Probably is he got wrecked regardless. No one ever claimed Werdum in the top 5 Heavyweights, ever, he was a reject from the UFC because he couldn't hack it there.

Antonia Silva? Not a top contender either, a solid fighter sure but I couldn't see him bringing any trouble to someone like Dos Santos Jr.

fedor has 0 options but to retire, he's not going to get signed by anyone for anything but less than half of his current demands.

^^

and to think you and i wanted to fight IRL once..

Fedor has always fought cans, at one point the MMA heavyweight division was made up entirely of cans, aside from 3-4 fighters. Mind you he beat all the contenders.. The heavyweight division just wasn't deep enough for me to have much respect for anyone dominating it... Not really fair to them, but that's life. Now that it's big and top contenders are not hard to find, he's losing. I wish Fedor was hitting his prime now, not exiting it. Then we'd see what he was truly capable of. Maybe he'd dominate just like he did, but I'd be skeptical.

I'm still not impressed with the heavyweight division though. My least favorite division for sure.. and it's supposed to be the most loved. LHW has always held that spot in the MMA world.

Do you mean the SF HW or all around MMA HW?

It's funny - Just last year the UFC HW division was the talk of the town and then injuries (Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez) and contract issues (Roy Nelson) changed all of that and it won't be until about June this year people start talking about the HW division again.

Now saying Fedor fought cans...I don't know about that. He beat Mirko Cro Cop when Mirko still had heart. He nailed Alorvski, who had just beaten Roy Nelson so this was before he fell apart, Big Nog twice, Heath Herring, Matt Lindland, Renato Sobral...I mean really he wasn't fighting cans. Who wasn't he fighting however? Other P4P greats in their prime like Randy Couture, Frank Mir (I think Fedor would have beat Mir), Bas Rutten. Do I think Fedor is the best HW to ever walk the earth? No. I'd need to see him fight some UFC guys in some cross promotion event before I could make that bold of a claim. Do I think his accomplishments should be slighted because they weren't guys like Dos Santos and Velasquez he beat and he's lost two in a row? No.

To say Bigfoot and Werdum are nothing special, well, Werdum really has been underrated. Sure he was cut from the UFC but so was Gerald Harris who only lost once out of four or five fights and it was by decision. (Werdum was 2-2 in the UFC btw and was stopped by Arlovski and Dos Santos, with wins over Brandon Vera and Gonzaga.) Bigfoot is like 18.2 or something like that. Really, the only thing holding him back from the spotlight is a lack of media attention (he's sure getting it now) and the fact that not many people would recognize a lot of his opponents as they were from Sengoku and EliteXC primarily. I mean, I don't even recognize a lot of Sengoku names. Probably because I can't pronounce a lot of them >_>.

Icepick said:
Randy Couture to me, is very often a boring fighter.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you on that point. He spends so much time wearing down opponents and wrestling with them. But that can be said about a lot of wrestler-to-MMA fighters.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Icepick said:
Randy Couture to me, is very often a boring fighter.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you on that point. He spends so much time wearing down opponents and wrestling with them. But that can be said about a lot of wrestler-to-MMA fighters.

i don't have an issue with wrestling, i actually love it when two great wrestlers go at it... but i dunno, randys wrestling just seems so slow, and not very technical, (obviously it is, just isn't exciting to watch), and as you said, it seems the goal of every fight is to wear his opponent down, never to finish.

as for Fedor, I wouldn't put Arlovksi, Babalu or Heath in a list worthy of recognition. they're good fighters, and I love Arlovski and Babalu. Arlovski has a chin that isn't even made of glass... Whatever is 100x more fragile than glass, is what Arlovskis chin is made of. If he had a chin of steel, he would have swept the heavyweight division. But the dude could not take a hit.. Like he has the weakest chin I think i've ever seen in MMA. The definition of a glass cannon.

I also love Babalu, but was shocked when that fight went the distance.

The wins that stand out to me are Mirko, Arona, Nog, Lindland.

But still as I said, not enough competition for me to really believe he is the God so many believe he is.

It's just my opinion, everyone has the right to their own :) Not bein a prick and sayin "THIS IS HOW IT IS! I KNOW ALL!" Just how I feel, and have always felt.

You want a boring fighter...Jon Fitch. I can watch GSP lay and pray all 5 rounds..But Jon Fitch? Damn. Must be because he does it so often :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod