FBI vs. gamers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Caped_Crusader, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Caped_Crusader

There are many MMOPRG private servers out there for different games, one of them is Lineage 2. But now NCSoft in association with FBI have managed to shut down the biggest of them all - L2Extreme. www.l2extreme.com

Here is an official press release from NCsoft:

http://www.ncsoft.com/eng/NCPress/View.asp?hSeq=1

Other servers are in the line.

The fight against piracy has begun.

2. Frozen

Frozen Rookie

The fight for piracy has been here for a while, ever since the internet first started. Just that "the man" been losing and he will probably never win.

EDIT: It appears they didnt get shut down for just having the server but, according to the article, they were making a profit from it (for some reason I just feel that is some legal BS they cooked up just to close the server down). When I read that part I smelt some FBI BS. I just visited a cached version of l2extreme and it looked like a regular, free server emulator site. If just owning and running the server was illegal then they would've closed down the server for that reason alone. I dont think server emulators are illegal, so long the emulator is using its own code and isnt stolen. A pirated client is illegal, of course but they cant shut down a server just for existing.

But then again I'm not a lawyer and too lazy to read up on copyright law to make sure so I could be wrong.