EA going a step too far?

It's no big deal. There's a program in Battlefield 2142 that, as you play, monitors what adds you look at, for how long and from what angles. Yes, they're monitoring what you look at, but only insofar as we monitor what you read by putting hit counters on our pages.

Well, I had to use the EA downloader to get our review copy, and anytime I ran BF2142 the downloader opened and ran a mysteriously blank window in the background. I'm not sure if it was for 'authentication' purposes or to harvest that precious personal info. Maybe someone who got the old-fashioned disc version could answer whether or not the downloader runs with all versions of 2142.

As far as any adverse effect on the gameplay, if I wasn't aware that I'd see 'targeted' ads, I wouldn't have noticed them. There's no time to find billboards in a firefight, much less read them and become enticed by their extrapolation on what I might like.

It does bother me, but unfortunately these sort of things seem inevitable as a money-making ploy by the VG industry at large, and it's just going to get worse. That's my two cents.

Thank god i'm low on cash and hdd space so i can't get this game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle