Deleting Duke's comment on the Mass Effect Andromeda Review

De-Ting

Rookie
So GR founder Duke Ferris showed up for a moment, but his comment was deleted. From what I recall, he compared the Andromeda review's format to a 9th-grade essay, and he made a valid complaint about the intrusiveness of the ads.

Does anyone want to offer an explanation?

Got nothing, sorry! :/

I never knew Duke. I believe he was around before my time, I think. I do understand his importance to GameRevolution.

Sorry to hear what happened. I hope someone can offer an explanation soon.

I was around when Duke was in charge. I joined GR back in 2002 and he was a fantastic writer and on the E3 judges panel. They probably deleted it because they didn't want someone like Duke to influence GR in anyway causing people to leave or get mad and start a mob in the comments section. It's shady they deleted it and I'm sure Duke can get a hold of whoever is in charge and I'm pretty sure he noticed it already.

He was also picky about his staff and GR these days tends to let nearly anyone freelance so you get people who never went to school for this thing or who aren't good at writing pumping out articles affecting a game's overall score.

Sorry to read this. It could be auto-modded and in the spam filter for some reason. I don't know. Not sure who would delete the comment, nor have I seen it. I'll look into it when I return home. I feel i can trust the mods and I to have a well enough judgement on comments. The comment also could have been deleted by staff. Duke may have a NDA and broke it. Who knows?

Well, I saw the comment and returned it back to life. It didn't appear to be deleted by the spam user, which means someone truthfully did delete it. I've found no fault in the comment other than it was a opinion (little mean, but not too much it would be offensive) and the fact about Crave ads. My only concern is Duke came outta nowhere with this comment. Not sure if it truly was him. It was his same old profile, but it could have been breached.

I just want to say if anyone on the GR staffs dislikes my decision to return the comment back to life, f*ck off.

Thanks Ugh. I would have done the same, but I have no fucking clue how Disqus works.

If they didn't like it, they should have given a reason. As it is, it was a pretty basic comment. Not harassing, just saying to put in a little more effort.

So... they deleted Duke's comments (maybe it's a bit harsh, but his criticism is very constructive in my opinion). But they kept RandomDev's shitfest about how the reviewer is a filthy SJW and how bioware heterophobic that also hates white people?

cyberjim2000 said:
So... they deleted Duke's comments (maybe it's a bit harsh, but his criticism is very constructive in my opinion). But they kept RandomDev's shitfest about how the reviewer is a filthy SJW and how bioware heterophobic that also hates white people?

TBH, I think everyone fell for troll bait. Most people who are serious would go on and on about strawman argument about how white people are condemned to racism or some insane thing like that. It was just a couple of sentences meaning he didn't mean it and had no speech prepared. The majority of video game leads are straight white males anyways, so he was clearly trolling.

Ivory_Soul said:
TBH, I think everyone fell for troll bait. Most people who are serious would go on and on about strawman argument about how white people are condemned to racism or some insane thing like that. It was just a couple of sentences meaning he didn't mean it and had no speech prepared. The majority of video game leads are straight white males anyways, so he was clearly trolling.

This is what I meant though. The criticism that Duke wrote got deleted over an obvious trolling attempt. Which makes me wonder if had any of us said what Duke said, would our comments get deleted? I wouldn't think so. Duke doesn't own the site anymore and he's just a normal visitor now. Meaning if he wants to criticize the ads and the writing style, I think he should be able to unless he signed something stated otherwise.

Daniel gave me mod powers for Disqus. It was originally an April Fools joke, but he left some users afterwards with the responsibility. Ain't gonna lie, I been lacking checking the comments and won't feel upset if they're taken away from me.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAHwAAAAJDNkMmJlNzJkLWRiMDItNGU1OS05ZTZkLTMwZWE3MTdlZmFkNQ.jpg

cyberjim2000 said:
Ivory_Soul said:

This is what I meant though. The criticism that Duke wrote got deleted over an obvious trolling attempt. Which makes me wonder if had any of us said what Duke said, would our comments get deleted? I wouldn't think so. Duke doesn't own the site anymore and he's just a normal visitor now. Meaning if he wants to criticize the ads and the writing style, I think he should be able to unless he signed something stated otherwise.
I deleted that comment. Sorry it took so long. Surprised Chuni didn't delete first and foremost.

UghRochester said:
It could be auto-modded and in the spam filter for some reason. I don't know. Not sure who would delete the comment, nor have I seen it. I'll look into it when I return home. I feel i can trust the mods and I to have a well enough judgement on comments.

Ugh, I love your naivete and optimism <3.

There is no way that was flagged by a spam filter. Clearly someone who got butt hurt over criticism deleted it. His comment however, while harsh, does resonate.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm the one who made the decision to delete the comment. It was an extraordinary case given it was the original owner of the site coming into an article, and not for his first time, to say negative things about Game Revolution. I felt that Duke could have offered feedback in a better way than to post a comment like that. It felt like a drive-by, but ultimately his opinion should be given the light of day. Due to this, the comment will stand.

To be clear, this is the only time I have deleted a comment, and I intend to keep it that way except in extreme cases such as spam and severe hate speech. I am an advocate of free speech, and shouldn't have deleted the comment to begin with. But I did, and I apologize for that.

On the topic of ads, things have gotten better over the past few months, but aren't where I want them to be. It's a complicated topic, and one that is affecting most outlets (I just got hit with a nasty full page ad on Mashable) given the ridiculously high costs of running a site. We've been pushing hard for improvements, and a complete relaunch is coming within weeks that will help drastically in this regard, in addition to improving the visual design of the site—it won't appear remotely the same as it does now, and in a good way.

In regards to staff having "ninth grade writing skills", every member of our team has graduated college and I'm very proud of the talent we have. That said, I agree that the Mass Effect: Andromeda review was a very poor example of our work. There are several reasons this happened and we have taken steps to prevent that from happening again.

One last thing. Running a video game site in this day and age is quite a handful, as you might have noticed from sites like 1UP, GameTrailers, and many more falling off the map the last few years. We are working tirelessly to make Game Revolution a great place to be, even though all odds are stacked against us. With this, we've made some changes to our strategy during the past couple years that may make it appear that we are a much different site than before. For some classic GR fans, this may come off as betraying what made the site successful in the first place. However, we are seeing great results that have helped us persevere through a tough climate. Though, sometimes we may overstep with adjusting our strategy, and when this happens please provide feedback to help us gauge what our readers want; it isn't always obvious.

When you have feedback, please send it to my e-mail ([email protected]). I take feedback very seriously. Thanks for your support.

- Jonathan

I still believe and will stand by this, that because it was Duke, and Duke alone, the comment got deleted, end of story. So what if it was something negative about GR, get over it. I say negative things about GR sometimes like how the site's layout has sucked for over a decade and (it's well known now) about how GR is one of the worst sites I surf regularly when it comes to ads.

If it were some other schmuck no one would have cared. You will put up with BTS and all these other jackasses who throw around racism, discriminate, outright lie and harass other members, but one little comment about someone's writing style and it's deleted.

C'mon guys, we're not dumb.

With that said, everyone fessed up to it and that's what mattered. I appreciate that and is why I continue to respect GR and come here several times a day on a never failing daily basis. I come here for the community the atmosphere and spirit that has been preserved since I started coming here 16 years ago. GR, GameFaqs, GameSpot, and GameRankings are the longest running sites I have surfed that are still alive from 15+ years ago. While GameSpot has fallen by the wayside and is a cesspool of underage brats who think they know how the world works and immature know-it-all writers, it's still a site I go to just because I have been all this time.

I'm looking forward to the new site layout and hopefully, it's a huge improvement because I don't we'll get another one for probably another decade. I understand times are tough for gaming sites and just websites in general, but I have faith and believe in the team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod